U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best South American city for visitors/that you most want to visit?
Bogota 5 19.23%
Buenos Aires 10 38.46%
Lima 3 11.54%
Rio de Janeiro 11 42.31%
Santiago 3 11.54%
Sao Paulo 7 26.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 AM

2,408 posts, read 1,245,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Buenos Aires, São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are really close and cheap by airplain. If you have at least 10 days I recomend you visit all them. Three days in Bs As, two days in Sampa and five days in Rio.
From Bs As to Sampa 2:30 hour (USD 100). From Sampa to Rio 0:40 minutes (USD 30).
Sorry to off-topic slightly. While doing all my investigating I found a Cheap flight to Belem fron London. My plan is to fly to Manaus and then fly to Tabatinga then onto Colombia. Probably catch the Parintins festival. Any idea what Belem is like? Do you recommend?

The travel bug has bit again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
As per Music, I really like any, I am not particularly picky. I’m sure any venue we find would be distinctive from what can be seen in the states.
Lol that doesn't narrow it down at all! Do you know how many quality music gigs there are in Bogota? OK let me ask this are you more of a chill listen to music with a beer type or do you like to semi-rave it out? What about the more folksy stuff? Or do you prefer the Latin 1,2 step stuff to dance with your lady? Or are you really just up for anything

Old 04-16-2018, 10:34 AM

3,462 posts, read 2,575,937 times
I know it sounds like a contradiction lol but out of those maybe a place to relax with a beer with music, but maybe after having a few a place to 1-2 step dance : )

Old 04-16-2018, 11:12 AM

617 posts, read 309,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Sorry to off-topic slightly. While doing all my investigating I found a Cheap flight to Belem fron London. My plan is to fly to Manaus and then fly to Tabatinga then onto Colombia. Probably catch the Parintins festival. Any idea what Belem is like? Do you recommend?

The travel bug has bit again.
I never been in Belém, this city is not a tourist hotspot including for Brazilians unlike Manaus, but how you will arrive there spend at least one or two days knowing the city atractions. The city itself is more interesting than Manaus and the paraense's cousine is wonderful and very exotic!
You will not regret being in Parintins festival!

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/...o/a/poi/363215

G1 - Belém, PA: o que fazer, o que visitar, o que comer na capital paraense - notícias em Pará

Fotos: veja imagens dos principais pontos turísticos de Belém - fotos em Pará - g1

https://www.feriasbrasil.com.br/pa/b...everefazer.cfm

Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM

Nice thanks, I'm going to probably make this happen. Close my eyes and put it on the credit card, I hope I'll be able to pay it off within 2 months. I blame cavsfan for this!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I know it sounds like a contradiction lol but out of those maybe a place to relax with a beer with music, but maybe after having a few a place to 1-2 step dance : )
Ok, I'm just going to throw some stuff out there. Anyone can probably catch any of these bands while in Bogota except for the summer when they're doing the international festival circuits. There is a lot of crossover/fusion & collabs which makes the gig scene very exciting. If you don't like any of it, staple Latin crossover it has to be then although there's also the folk from other regions but that's probably best found in the regions themselves.

[New Wave] This video is so Bogota!

[New Wave] Bogota loves a bit of New Wave..

[Rock] Tutored by ex-Rolling Stones manager, Andrew Loog Oldham - Best Rock band x 2 - Grammy Latino

[Indie/Alt] Rolling Stone list of most influential international bands.

[House] This video is also very Bogota!

[Dub]

[African Soukous] Big in Barranquilla & Cartagena in the 80's, now experiencing a revival nationwide.

[Andean Folk-Rock] Very Bogota also!

[Andean Folk-Rock]

[Indie/Alt]

[Indie/Alt]

[Swing] Best New Act - Grammy Latino

[Swing]

[R&B] Coffee girl from Pereira, touted as the Colombian Amy Winehouse

[Selva Techno] New underground movement

[Alt-Rock]

[Pacific coast folk (Currulao) + Drum n' Bass]

[Reggaeton] Fast becoming the biggest global hit of 2018

[Electro-Cumbia] MTV Best new band in the world + iTunes Best Band

Old 04-16-2018, 12:54 PM

617 posts, read 309,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Nice thanks, I'm going to probably make this happen. Close my eyes and put it on the credit card, I hope I'll be able to pay it off within 2 months. I blame cavsfan for this!
Don’t worry the BR$ currently a bit more desvaluated will help you !!

Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,575,937 times
Hahaha! Sorry for making the travel bug bite : ) And thank you for sharing those wonderful videos. I can tell that is an area of expertise and passion for you, and will definitely give me an idea of what gigs to pursue when I am in the city. That's awesome that Bogota has such a scene for that! That type of incredible variety makes one question, respectfully, how a place like Austin can claim to be the "Live Music Capital of the World". Even if it is outstanding, how can it be just one city?

Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
That type of incredible variety makes one question, respectfully, how a place like Austin can claim to be the "Live Music Capital of the World". Even if it is outstanding, how can it be just one city?
Austin has an amaazing scene. In fact if you look at the SXSW festival they always have 2-3 Colombian bands every year. Austin's eyes are constantly on what's happening in Bogota. I also did a bit of work for some stages in Glastonbury Festival, perhaps the most iconic festival in the world, and they too have plenty of scouts in Bogota & around Colombia. Seattle is also a big supporter of independent music; KEXP always has bands from Colombia on.

Old 04-21-2018, 04:59 PM

5 posts, read 2,201 times
Quote:
Choose Two!
Rio de Janeiro and Santiago

I've been to 3 of them: Rio, São Paulo and Buenos Aires.
Rio was my favorite of these.

Santiago is the next I would like to visit and I also would like to come back to Rio.

Quote:
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
Also felt very walker unfriendly compared to most cities I've been, even in Copacabana and CBD, buildings and streetscapes generally didn't seem to lend themselves to pedestrians very well, at all. I would be willing to give it a second chance though, I'm sure people love it for a reason.
Why did have this impression? This wasn't my perception.

Quote:
Santiago (Chile)
Overall: The city itself is reasonably cool enough, though perhaps not as impressive or happening as other cities of a similar or smaller size. It may be more walkable and have more architectural/historical heritage than say Rio, but loses by a good bit in that regard compared to Buenos Aires. It is truly the city's astounding natural surroundings that make it a world class region for visitors though. Because of that mainly, it's the one of these three I've visited that I would be most apt to return to.

I very much doubt that Santiago may have more architectural/historical heritage than Rio, but still would like to visit there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or