U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-20-2018, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
9,335 posts, read 10,376,783 times
Reputation: 3803

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Have fun at the lovely beaches in Hainan.
Aside from the crowds, the colour of the water and vegetation look fantastic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-20-2018, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Kansas/China
4,070 posts, read 1,998,419 times
Reputation: 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Have fun at the lovely beaches in Hainan.
To be fair, when I was there it wasnít busy at all. I sure wouldnít go during Chinese holidays. But I also wouldnít go to Florida during spring break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
1,516 posts, read 443,813 times
Reputation: 2832
I am assuming that Chinese citizens need to pass through immigratin checkpoints to and from Hainan. If Hainan has all thse visa waiver peoplle running around, what's to stop them from takikng the train to China mainland? It must be something like Mexico, where even Mexicans have to clear to go from the border cities into the Mexican interior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Kansas/China
4,070 posts, read 1,998,419 times
Reputation: 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I am assuming that Chinese citizens need to pass through immigratin checkpoints to and from Hainan. If Hainan has all thse visa waiver peoplle running around, what's to stop them from takikng the train to China mainland? It must be something like Mexico, where even Mexicans have to clear to go from the border cities into the Mexican interior.
Nope, no checkpoints. To use public transport like a train or airplane in China you need to use a passport, Iím not sure if they check visa status. I doubt there is anything to stop someone, except getting deported and not allowed to go back to China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 12:44 AM
 
991 posts, read 1,459,750 times
Reputation: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Nope, no checkpoints. To use public transport like a train or airplane in China you need to use a passport, I’m not sure if they check visa status. I doubt there is anything to stop someone, except getting deported and not allowed to go back to China.
I'm not sure if there's a checkpoint from Hainan, but trains and planes within the mainland check passports but not visa status. However, all hotels I've been to in China check visa status, recording everything from date and port of entry plus a photocopy of the visa itself. Good luck trying to find accommodation if one doesn't have the proper visa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 12:52 AM
 
991 posts, read 1,459,750 times
Reputation: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Exactly, and I'm sure more will be added to the list for Hainan in the future. China-Vietnam relations aren't great atm, but I bet they get added to the list in a short time.

China has been providing more and more visa free access to parts of China for the last few years. 48 hour visa free transits are allowed in almost all the major cities, and I bet that will get expanded either in time or to include larger areas.

China finally opened an official department dealing specifically with foreign visas and immigration.

New immigration bureau set up to handle growing number of foreigners in China | South China Morning Post
Hainan has no appeal to most people from Southeast Asia. There are obviously better and cheaper beaches in their own countries (or neighboring countries). I knew people from the Philippines who had been on a cruise ship that stopped by Sanya, and they all said they were so bored that all they did was get an unremarkable massage that also costs more than what they can get from home. And they brought home lots of coconut products that have nice packaging but taste awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2018, 01:40 PM
 
5,908 posts, read 5,732,395 times
Reputation: 2090
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Hainan has no appeal to most people from Southeast Asia. There are obviously better and cheaper beaches in their own countries (or neighboring countries). I knew people from the Philippines who had been on a cruise ship that stopped by Sanya, and they all said they were so bored that all they did was get an unremarkable massage that also costs more than what they can get from home. And they brought home lots of coconut products that have nice packaging but taste awful.
Sanya is a good choice for Russians and Koreans. Southeast Asians really should not go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2018, 08:40 PM
 
494 posts, read 438,574 times
Reputation: 433
I think the appeal of Hainan will always be for Chinese people. You still have so many Chinese from inland provinces that have never been to a beach, and with Hainan you don't need to jump through the hoops of applying and paying for a foreign countries visa to travel there (although Thailand is visa on arrival for Chinese). I can't think of anything else from a marketing perspective as to who they think will be going to Hainan in the future besides more Chinese.


Its not cheap anymore, flights to and from everywhere in China are really expensive during the holidays, and there isn't anything to do besides sit on a beach or swim in the hotel pool in Sanya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Kansas/China
4,070 posts, read 1,998,419 times
Reputation: 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Hainan has no appeal to most people from Southeast Asia. There are obviously better and cheaper beaches in their own countries (or neighboring countries). I knew people from the Philippines who had been on a cruise ship that stopped by Sanya, and they all said they were so bored that all they did was get an unremarkable massage that also costs more than what they can get from home. And they brought home lots of coconut products that have nice packaging but taste awful.
Yeah, thatís probably true. For me the worst part of Hainan was the food, the worst food I have had in China. Every meal was pretty bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Kansas/China
4,070 posts, read 1,998,419 times
Reputation: 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I'm not sure if there's a checkpoint from Hainan, but trains and planes within the mainland check passports but not visa status. However, all hotels I've been to in China check visa status, recording everything from date and port of entry plus a photocopy of the visa itself. Good luck trying to find accommodation if one doesn't have the proper visa.
Maybe Iíve never paid attention, but Iíve never noticed hotels checking my visa. Normally they just use the passport number, but perhaps there is more to it then I realized. Iíve also had hotels not register me and instead register me under the hotel manager or employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top