U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 1,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuvequso View Post
I think society in Australia overall is too complacent and unmotivated to be an international leader for progressiveness. Is there an Australian politician with notable mainstream support whose policies would revolutionise Australia?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Why do you feel Australia needs to be revolutionised?
Where did I claim that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 AM

1,770 posts, read 911,123 times
Because it is. Some couturiers are just naturally more conservative than others. Either way Australia looks pretty liberal when compared to countries like Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia and Poland

Old 04-19-2018, 02:40 PM

9,540 posts, read 10,696,666 times
Australia is fine just the way it is and would only need minor changes if any at all. I don't see the country as being particularly conservative. I mean gay marriage is legal and they have public healthcare plus other welfare programs for unemployed people etc. How much more liberal do you want?

Old 04-19-2018, 04:22 PM

1,955 posts, read 650,153 times
In some ways it is, in others less so. Australians themselves joke about how their politicians are stuck in the 50's. Out of all the anglo countries I would say that Canada is the most progressive one overall, but to be able to truly evaluate the scenario we would need to do a case by case study on different topics.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:02 AM

388 posts, read 218,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuvequso View Post
Where did I claim that?
I think it’s quite evident in what you wrote. Apologies if I misinterpreted, would be good to think there is one less revolutionary out there.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:23 AM

12,581 posts, read 10,197,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Australia is fine just the way it is and would only need minor changes if any at all. I don't see the country as being particularly conservative. I mean gay marriage is legal and they have public healthcare plus other welfare programs for unemployed people etc. How much more liberal do you want?
Australia was pretty late to the party with gay marriage. I was waiting very eagerly for them to join for many years, but compared to other western peers it took em awhile.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:10 AM

9,540 posts, read 10,696,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Australia was pretty late to the party with gay marriage. I was waiting very eagerly for them to join for many years, but compared to other western peers it took em awhile.
Yeah true it was relatively recent but it is legal now and way ahead of a host of other countries where it isn't legal at all.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:41 AM

20,305 posts, read 25,119,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Because it is. Some couturiers are just naturally more conservative than others.

Is Yves St-Laurent conservative? What about Jean-Paul Gaultier?

Old 04-20-2018, 12:15 PM

12,581 posts, read 10,197,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yeah true it was relatively recent but it is legal now and way ahead of a host of other countries where it isn't legal at all.
Well of course Australia isn't Turkey or Jordan. I just meant relative to other peer countries it took awhile and may speak to what some are saying that there is a tinge of conservatism at least on some social matters that is not as pronounced as other peer countries. It isn't enough to not want to live there or give citizenship obviously.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:16 AM

207 posts, read 70,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well of course Australia isn't Turkey or Jordan. I just meant relative to other peer countries it took awhile and may speak to what some are saying that there is a tinge of conservatism at least on some social matters that is not as pronounced as other peer countries. It isn't enough to not want to live there or give citizenship obviously.
We have a very large immigration programme and the largest source at the moment are from India and China, both of which are more socially conservative than Anglo Australia. Our divorce rate is lower than the US, more children live with both their biological parents, although more than 80% of couples live together before marriage there is a general negative reaction to cheating once married. In these matters I suppose we are conservative. I am not convinced this is necessarily a bad thing.

Abortion is available on demand and has been for a long time. Yes gay marriage is recent but part of the reason is that gay couples already had most other rights in law. Nudity on beaches is not common as most of us need to cover up to avoid skin cancer. Religion has a small part in society and the largest stated religious belief is none.

Not sure what other issues are potentially included in such an assessment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or