Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 06:42 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Public funding for schools outside the public system is contentious here in BC. Why? Because the former provincial government was cutting back and closing public schools, at the same time funding for private schools was increased.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2016/05/17/I...Getting-Money/

We have a new government now, so we will see if things should balance out.

I'm with Fusion2 on this. I don't believe public money should go to fund private schools.

I'm not up on Australian's choices on planning for retirement, but here everyone is encouraged to have some financial plan if they are only entitled to the two government pensions, since they aren't enough to live well on. RRSP's RRIF's are two options, plus tax free savings account.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...plan-rrsp.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...fund-rrif.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...s-account.html

Plenty of options.
Quebec actually funds private schools to some degree. Religious or not though to be eligible for funding you can't be too religious and need to accept anyone regardless of religion. You also have to teach the Ministry of Education's multi-faith program in addition to classes about your own faith.

The end result is that the government contributes 7 or 8000 dollars per kid in these private schools, and the parents pay the rest. Which is in the 3000 dollar range.

There are a few private schools in Quebec who forgo the government money as they want more freedom to do their own thing. It's not really worth it as they have to follow the Ministry program anyway and the multi-faith class is not that onerous.

The percentage of kids in private school in Quebec as a result is much higher than in the rest of Canada. In high school, which is really where the numbers matters (private elementary is not a big thing here), it's probably 20-25% whereas elsewhere in Canada it's not even 10% generally.

Source: me. I have kids in high school in Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I personally am not a big fan of taxpayers funding religious schools/school boards. In a secular society, public funding should be for the public system only. That said, I can't speak for Nova Scotia but here in Ontario and specifically Canada's largest city - Toronto, public funding for a religious school board is alive and well. Oddly enough The Toronto Catholic District School Board is the largest publicly funded Catholic school board in the world. Even though I do not agree about it getting public funds - it does attract many different people of socioeconomic backgrounds and is diverse as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toront...t_School_Board

From what I know, other religious school boards or schools outside Catholicism are not publicly funded.
It's basically a holdover from the old days when the only schools were Catholic or Protestant. These were guaranteed in the 1867 Constitution and still are.

Over time the Protestant schools in Ontario became non-denominational and totally public, and most everyone who wasn't Catholic went there.

But the publicly funded Catholic schools have remained. No other religious group gets this.

It's extremely incongruous, and some would say discriminatory.

Quebec and Newfoundland had similar systems originally but got rid of them years ago. Not sure about the other provinces.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:37 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,690,365 times
I personally think religious schools including Catholic schools should get no government money in a secular society like Canada and Australia. The funding should come from the religious organizations themselves (I. e. The Catholic Church) and/or fees.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I personally think religious schools including Catholic schools should get no government money in a secular society like Canada and Australia. The funding should come from the religious organizations themselves (I. e. The Catholic Church) and/or fees.

I am surprised Ontario's Catholic school system has lasted this long.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am surprised Ontario's Catholic school system has lasted this long.
votes.. It is easier to go with the status quo and try to make everyone happy sometimes rather than be bold and do what is right.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I am not legally married in Australia (we were married in Korea and don't have the correct paperwork), and that is pretty much what the whole article talks about. If you are not legally married you have to complete more/different paperwork, to obtain certain things.

Make no mistake I was firmly in favor of marriage equity and the feeling of acceptance that comes with it.
Great! Glad to hear you're onboard

Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,342,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The counter argument is that in a secular society government should be neither ‘for’ or ‘against’ religion(s), so should fund any school that meets funding requirements and is itself non discriminatory. Either that or offer reduced tax to families who send their kids to non government schools.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
The counter argument is that in a secular society government should be neither ‘for’ or ‘against’ religion(s), so should fund any school that meets funding requirements and is itself non discriminatory. Either that or offer reduced tax to families who send their kids to non government schools.
What's fair is either a) every religious group can get the funding or b) no religious groups gets funding.

The situation in Ontario though is neither a) nor b). No one is eligible for funding except Catholics.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
votes.. It is easier to go with the status quo and try to make everyone happy sometimes rather than be bold and do what is right.
Though Catholics are numerous they are far from the majority in Ontario. I guess the other religious groups are not angry enough about this for a change to happen.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Though Catholics are numerous they are far from the majority in Ontario. I guess the other religious groups are not angry enough about this for a change to happen.
It's still a lot of votes and if you can make those voters happy and the rest are indifferent than I think there's the answer. If you gain little by dismantling public funding for Catholic schools because the majority won't reward you for it, but you gain the intense wrath of a pretty solid and well rooted legacy minority well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World