Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 12:27 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,007,044 times

Advertisements

Africa should be on the list too, especially Botswana and Rwanda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 01:48 AM

6,457 posts, read 8,118,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
There is no way in hell Turkey is joining the EU. Turkey is starting things left and right with Germany and NL, and even ignoring that, its sour relations with Greece and most of all CYPRUS makes sure Turkey will NEVER be remotely close to actually joining the EU. Even Israel or Canada have a better shot and they are not interested at all.
That will never happen. It is bad enough with all the corrupt and mismanaged EE countries.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:08 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,428,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Africa should be on the list too, especially Botswana and Rwanda.
Botswana has about 2.5 Milllion People, and Rwamada has about 13, They will never make the list because or their small populations.

If you adjusted per capita however, you may have a different story. Certainly by African standards Botswana seems a very politically stable country.

Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 AM

Quote:
There is no way in hell Turkey is joining the EU. Turkey is starting things left and right with Germany and NL, and even ignoring that, its sour relations with Greece and most of all CYPRUS makes sure Turkey will NEVER be remotely close to actually joining the EU. Even Israel or Canada have a better shot and they are not interested at all.

And Russia's economy is a joke.

PPP overlooks the fact that currency of some of the countries on your list worths less than ass wipes. E.g. Turkey and Brazil.
Its not my list its the poster I was replying to list.

I was trying to think of a reason why Turkey may be on that posters list, and at the end of the Day if Turkey were to join the EU, it would be the most populous country in the union.

I have done the Greece - Turkey border crossing twice, i actually kept a travel diary some 25 years ago, at the time. and noted that the Turks and Greeks seem to hate each other, and i had no knowledge of the situation in Cyprus or of the Greece/turkey population exchange. Though i very much doubt that Greece and Cyprus would have much say in turkey joining the EU, in the big scheme of things they are very small countries.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-15-2021 at 03:36 AM..

Old 10-17-2021, 08:44 PM

2,969 posts, read 1,947,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
No Real surprise here your have the you have developing countries that are the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 9th, 15th and 17th largest countries by population in the world, turkey may actually join the EU, Russia is pulling out of communism, and Vietnam is one of the poorest countries in Asia, and may become more of a manufacturing base, as others such as Thailand become less affordable to manufacture in.

The big Surprises for me is that Pakistan is not on the list.
Pakistan’s economic growth has fluctuated a lot… in certain years it did better than in others
Same case for Nigeria… 10 years ago it was booming but not anymore

On the other hand, Indonesia and Turkey have been doing well in recent years

Old 10-17-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:

And Russia's economy is a joke.

PPP overlooks the fact that currency of some of the countries on your list worths less than ass wipes. E.g. Turkey and Brazil.
But nominal gdp is also too affected by currency fluctuations…
Iran’s gdp (nominal) has more than doubled from US$410 billion in 2019 to US$1.08 trillion in 2021. It now has a larger GDP than Netherlands, Turkey or Saudi Arabia. In PPP terms, it actually experienced no growth.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:49 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,338,951 times
Quote:
I have done the Greece - Turkey border crossing twice, i actually kept a travel diary some 25 years ago, at the time. and noted that the Turks and Greeks seem to hate each other, and i had no knowledge of the situation in Cyprus or of the Greece/turkey population exchange. Though i very much doubt that Greece and Cyprus would have much say in turkey joining the EU, in the big scheme of things they are very small countries.
Actually any member state can veto a new member. There is no way in hell Turkey would be joining the EU for this reason alone. Erdogan's crazy bull**** is just secondary. Not to mention, certain countries (i.e. the Netherlands) in the Union are already vetoing all accession talks with other Balkan states. The rich old member states are sick of poor new member states. There wouldn't be any enlargement in a very long time, unless Iceland gets hammered by another bankruptcy.

Old 10-17-2021, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Actually any member state can veto a new member. There is no way in hell Turkey would be joining the EU for this reason alone. Erdogan's crazy bull**** is just secondary. Not to mention, certain countries (i.e. the Netherlands) in the Union are already vetoing all accession talks with other Balkan states. The rich old member states are sick of poor new member states. There wouldn't be any enlargement in a very long time, unless Iceland gets hammered by another bankruptcy.
Fair enough, so perhaps you would like to give some reasoning why Turkey may be on that posters list , keep in mind that turkey (In terms of population growth) is currently is about the 150th fastest growing country in the world (Well Behind some established 1st world countries, Like Australia and NZ for instance).

So perhaps you might like to spread some light on why turkey may suddenly start growing economically in the near future, at at rate well above its actual population growth?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-18-2021 at 12:03 AM..

Old 10-18-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, so perhaps you would like to give some reasoning why Turkey may be on that posters list , keep in mind that turkey (In terms of population growth) is currently is about the 150th fastest growing country in the world (Well Behind some established 1st world countries, Like Australia and NZ for instance).

So perhaps you might like to spread some light on why turkey may suddenly start growing economically in the near future, at at rate well above its actual population growth?
Turkey is part of the 30-nations NATO:

21 members are part of the European Union
9 non-EU NATO members:
Albania
Canada
Iceland
Montenegro
North Macedonia
Norway
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Based on the above, I think all of them can join the EU if they wanted to…

Old 10-18-2021, 09:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 8,338,951 times
Quote:

I don't think Turkey would be growing much in the near future. Not with their screwed up politics. But people will always talk up developing countries (like inventing laughable acronyms) as if they all had bright bright futures simply by virtue of being poor. It's the same with Brazil and most African countries. It's been decades and their economies are still trash. Turkey will largely be the same. Many developed countries have had way stronger growth in the past decade like Korea, Israel, Australia, and USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Turkey is part of the 30-nations NATO:

21 members are part of the European Union
9 non-EU NATO members:
Albania
Canada
Iceland
Montenegro
North Macedonia
Norway
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Based on the above, I think all of them can join the EU if they wanted to…
NATO has nothing to do with the EU. None of these countries would be joining the EU any time soon. They are either too poor (the Balkans and Turkey), don't need it (Norway and Iceland), not in Europe at all (Canada and USA), and one of them just left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World