U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: San Jose vs Vancouver: which is a better city?
Vancouver 15 78.95%
San Jose 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2018, 12:15 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 1,099,532 times
Reputation: 810

Advertisements

San Jose vs Vancouver: which is a better city?

Criteria:

1. Economy
2. Weather
3. Population
4. Diversity
5. Downtown
6. Shopping
7. Scenery
8. Airport
9. Transportation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2018, 01:08 AM
 
311 posts, read 194,494 times
Reputation: 398
Another knockout loss coming for San Jose. You really need to take fights in the right division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Kuwait
2,720 posts, read 905,171 times
Reputation: 1967
1. Economy - SJ
2. Weather - SJ
3. Population - Similar
4. Diversity - SJ
5. Downtown - Vancouver
6. Shopping - SJ
7. Scenery - Vancouver
8. Airport - Vancouver
9. Transportation - Vancouver


I came out even. I worked for a company in Vancouver about 2 years, I liked it a lot but the winters make me SADD. I'll take Vancouver in the summer and SJ in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 10:09 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 1,099,532 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Another knockout loss coming for San Jose. You really need to take fights in the right division.
For serious posting and sticking to particular subject only. No personal and other subject nonsense applies on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
10,036 posts, read 7,065,729 times
Reputation: 5462
1. Economy no idea.
2. Weather Vancouver. I prefer verdant green and rainforests.
3. Population Different sizes in different metro areas...so not sure how you classify better.
4. Diversity Vancouver.
5. Downtown Vancouver hands down. The 29 K seawall, all the parks including Stanley park. The amount of residents living downtown etc.
6. Shopping Not a shopper and shopping like food, is a personal type of thing. I find no shortage of what I need in Vancouver.
7. Scenery No contest. Vancouver.
8. Airport Again, no contest. Vancouver's airport rates the highest in North America. Has double the passenger traffic.
9. Transportation Define. Are you talking transit or roads? If transit, Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM
 
3,195 posts, read 2,251,502 times
Reputation: 1920
1. Economy: Statistics say San Jose, comfortably. On real GDP, GDP Per Capita, and Unemployment Rate.
2. Weather: I don't mind either one, but San Jose would be closer to what is considered "ideal".
3. Population: Completely agree with poster above. Though, of course if taking into account the entire Bay Area, it's SJ, easy. But, I feel like population is hardly a metric to be considered. At least not a creative one.
4. Diversity: Both are very diverse, in different ways. Don't really favor one or the other here.
5. Downtown: Vancouver. This is really the big one why I voted for Vancouver, while San Jose does feel nice, Vancouver just acts and breathes so much more like a major city/vibrant center. There are more people living in neighborhoods with walkscore exceeding 90 in Vancouver than those living in neighborhoods exceeding 70 in San Jose.
6. This one is complicated. If just downtown, Vancouver, easily. City limits, still probably Vancouver. Metro (esp. the whole Bay Area?) Then it's San Jose.
7. Vancouver here, esp. in comparison with a part of the Bay Area that isn't as scenic/lush as other sections. That isn't to say San Jose is bad, but Vancouver might well be the most naturally beautiful city in world on what is offered within 50 miles or so.
8. Airport: Vancouver
9. Transportation: Probably Vancouver city proper. Though SJ is part of a larger regional rail network, though.

This is one (unlike Sydney), where I think you could compare just SJ MSA against Vancouver MSA, and it could stand up/compete in most ways. I still have a preference for Vancouver though. Having been, it ranks so high on QOL lists for good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 03:12 PM
 
311 posts, read 194,494 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
For serious posting and sticking to particular subject only. No personal and other subject nonsense applies on this forum.
I was serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 03:33 PM
 
1,332 posts, read 633,995 times
Reputation: 831
Bro, If you're so desperate for San Jose to win a poll............Put it up against Memphis. Right now you're just making the city look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 05:53 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 1,099,532 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
1. Economy: Statistics say San Jose, comfortably. On real GDP, GDP Per Capita, and Unemployment Rate.
2. Weather: I don't mind either one, but San Jose would be closer to what is considered "ideal".
3. Population: Completely agree with poster above. Though, of course if taking into account the entire Bay Area, it's SJ, easy. But, I feel like population is hardly a metric to be considered. At least not a creative one.
4. Diversity: Both are very diverse, in different ways. Don't really favor one or the other here.
5. Downtown: Vancouver. This is really the big one why I voted for Vancouver, while San Jose does feel nice, Vancouver just acts and breathes so much more like a major city/vibrant center. There are more people living in neighborhoods with walkscore exceeding 90 in Vancouver than those living in neighborhoods exceeding 70 in San Jose.
6. This one is complicated. If just downtown, Vancouver, easily. City limits, still probably Vancouver. Metro (esp. the whole Bay Area?) Then it's San Jose.
7. Vancouver here, esp. in comparison with a part of the Bay Area that isn't as scenic/lush as other sections. That isn't to say San Jose is bad, but Vancouver might well be the most naturally beautiful city in world on what is offered within 50 miles or so.
8. Airport: Vancouver
9. Transportation: Probably Vancouver city proper. Though SJ is part of a larger regional rail network, though.

This is one (unlike Sydney), where I think you could compare just SJ MSA against Vancouver MSA, and it could stand up/compete in most ways. I still have a preference for Vancouver though. Having been, it ranks so high on QOL lists for good reason.
According to Mercer https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...yiZ1ZS6kcEYZxd Vancouver has an unattractive city center. San Jose has an attractive city center, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2018, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,217 posts, read 9,709,013 times
Reputation: 3612
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
San Jose vs Vancouver: which is a better city?

Criteria:

1. Economy
2. Weather
3. Population
4. Diversity
5. Downtown
6. Shopping
7. Scenery
8. Airport
9. Transportation
1. Economy - San Jose as Silicon Valley is within its sphere of influence.
2. Weather - San Jose. Vancouver is good for Canada but ummm yeah..
3. Population - Vancouver - it is the bigger and more substantial city. SJ is part of the Bay area but is distinct from S.F and not in a flattering way either...
4. Diversity - Tie
5. Downtown - VANCOUVER 10 X
6. Shopping - Vancouver
7. Scenery - VANCOUVER 100X
8. Airport - Vancouver - well connected airport, particularly with Asia and that is A OK for me!
9. Transportation - Vancouver. SJ probably has a better highway network but Vancouver the better PT system and I value that more. Part of the reason behind this is that Vancouver has great density like most Canadians cities vs American so PT works!

Vancouver Is imo other than economy and weather, just the more interesting and urban city of the two plus the incredible beauty and opportunity to take advantage of nature so close at hand to a great urban package is quite appealing.. I could say Vancouver is very expensive but is San Jose really that 'cheap' - prolly not so of the two - Vancouver is just the more appealing city by quite a long shot imo.

Last edited by fusion2; 04-26-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top