U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best vacation spot
Lima Peru 6 19.35%
Dublin/Cork Ireland 7 22.58%
Palermo/Catania Italy (Sicily) 1 3.23%
Lisbon Portugal 10 32.26%
Tel Aviv/Jerusalem Israel 2 6.45%
Buenos Aires Argentina 4 12.90%
Munich Germany 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:00 PM
 
1,602 posts, read 796,937 times
Reputation: 1042

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Killing spree where? You need to turn off that US media brother - it does you more harm than good. 9 million people visit Cancun alone each year! 9 million!!! And you're worried about some low life drug dealers killing each other far away from anywhere you would venture to?

I wouldn't choose Mexico city as a first time traveller, you'll be too nervous through the psychological babble your country feeds you + you want outdoor adventure and possibly beach. Mex city doesn't have any beach nearby - except for Acapulco, which is dangerous! I've been to Acapulco and enjoyed it but I wouldn't recommend for a first time traveller. The Yucatan on the other hand is a perfect blend of cultural cities (Merida), outdoor activities (Cenotes/Maya ruins) and beach (Tulum), I was just there in February - Air b&b's are crazy cheap. I doubt I spent more than $600 for a week including flights and that's from London, UK!

Here's a little reminder to take the US media and what people around you say (especially those who have never been there) with a pinch of salt. The first video are people that have never been outside the US apart from Canada and the second video is of people that have been to 20+ countries.





It's Medellin, but it applies to the subject matter.
I was talking about this. https://www.dallasnews.com/life/trav...st-town-cancun
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:11 PM
 
232 posts, read 76,203 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Have you been to either country? It's a rhetorical question because the obvious answer is No. If you had you wouldn't be saying that.
I've been to both countries. The modern state of Israel has been wrapped up in a very tense political relationship with its neighbors since its creation and bombing attacks there are common. Mexico city is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Lots of violent crime, kidnappings, and the local police is corrupted to the bone. Locals will always discourage you to walk the streets after dark, and for a good reason: they know what can happen. Sure, there are worse cities, even in Mexico. Sure, you can go there and be perfectly fine. However, if safety is one of your major concern when picking a destination, then Mexico City does not meet that requirement, neither does Israel.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:15 PM
 
3,262 posts, read 2,360,296 times
Reputation: 1981
Walking around Tel Aviv and Jerusalem at night I'd feel safer than any city of a significant size in the US, I'd think. Statistics would reflect that too.

Mexico City actually feels quite a bit safer than a number of places too. As long as you don't just wander around outside of tourist areas at night, you should be perfectly fine, in fact I think you'd be shocked. I guess, maybe for someone just going outside the country for the first Mexico City's size and bustle could be a bit overwhelming, but at the same time, it really had an extremely pleasant feel to it, very clean in many parts, gorgeous and massive parks, significant modern area with high rises and nightlife only rivaled in the states by Chicago and New York City, beautiful old city which is probably as significant and impressive an old town than one would find anywhere in the Americas (it is the largest in the Americas), and could compete with many in Europe, archaeological sites that are among the best in the world, major sporting, music, misc. event venues, more museums than any city in the world, outstandingly dynamic food scene and unique cultural displays everywhere... personally it's my favorite large city on earth, at least that I've been to thus far. The place is addicting, and dynamic, in a way very few places will ever match. Even on a natural beauty perspective, you could combine with a trip to the coast over by the Yucatan. As for killing sprees, we seem to have more of a reputation for random killing sprees in the US than one would find in Mexico. Keep in mind, Merida, which is the Yucatan state capital, has a lower murder rate than the US National Avg., and in terms of major US Cities is only outranked by I think New York City, Seattle and Portland. And as far as Mexico City itself, I'd say it's very arguably Top 10 in the world in terms of access to varied natural scenery/outdoors stuff. Within a couple hours, you can find mountains that significantly dwarf any in the continental US, major impressive geological features, geothermal sites/an active volcano, and perhaps the most plant biodiverse region of the world, with one finding lush deciduous, tropical, arid (cactus/etc.) and alpine vegetation, all within a couple hour reach. Not too many places (if any) in the world can make that claim.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:30 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,189 posts, read 1,083,569 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I've been to both countries. The modern state of Israel has been wrapped up in a very tense political relationship with its neighbors since its creation and bombing attacks there are common. Mexico city is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Lots of violent crime, kidnappings, and the local police is corrupted to the bone. Locals will always discourage you to walk the streets after dark, and for a good reason: they know what can happen. Sure, there are worse cities, even in Mexico. Sure, you can go there and be perfectly fine. However, if safety is one of your major concern when picking a destination, then Mexico City does not meet that requirement, neither does Israel.
You obviously haven't been. Anyone whose been to either two wouldn't be saying that. Israel has a homicide and crime rate the US wish it had and Mexico is not much worse than the US apart from various hot spots. Mexico city is no more dangerous than Washington DC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:33 PM
 
3,262 posts, read 2,360,296 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I've been to both countries. The modern state of Israel has been wrapped up in a very tense political relationship with its neighbors since its creation and bombing attacks there are common. Mexico city is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Lots of violent crime, kidnappings, and the local police is corrupted to the bone. Locals will always discourage you to walk the streets after dark, and for a good reason: they know what can happen. Sure, there are worse cities, even in Mexico. Sure, you can go there and be perfectly fine. However, if safety is one of your major concern when picking a destination, then Mexico City does not meet that requirement, neither does Israel.
Are there any statistics on the number of bombing attacks/etc. that actually impact visitors/locals in general, then compared against actual crime rates in other American and world cities? I would be curious to see an actual comparison chart, and not just rhetoric, on the fact that Tel Aviv and Jerusalem would be considered less safe, or even comparably safe, to cities in the US/elsewhere in the world. Because, I find it highly doubtful that it would reflect that. Let us just bear in mind that Israel's homicide rate is 1.36 per 100K inhabitants compared with 4.88 for the US.

As per Mexico City, it certainly does have it's crime problems in certain areas, but the idea that it is one of the most dangerous cities in the world is extremely, extremely, overstated and untrue. First off, let's consider that there are numerous countries that rank ahead of Mexico on the global homicide ranking/danger scale. That would include a significant number within Latin America itself, in addition to many in Africa, Asia, etc. Now. Let us also consider the fact that Mexico's countrywide homicide rate, was in fact, DOUBLE, that in Mexico City. In addition, the fact that Mexico City's violent crime/homicide rate is surpassed by.. 26 of the 40 major league US cities.

Don't get me wrong. It isn't a place like say Copenhagen, or Tokyo, or even several places on this list when it comes to safety. You should take care, listen to locals that are from there, etc. But, I think about it like this: Mexico City's murder rate is I believe somewhere around 8-9 to 100K, but for the sake of uniform numbering and rounding up argument, let's say it's 10. That means, in a given year, you have a 1 in 10,000 chance of getting offed. Extrapolating the fact you'll be there for a week, not a year, it would then be 1 in 520,000. Keep in mind, that the odds of you getting in a fatal vehicle accident in a given year in the US would be 11.6 to 100K. I personally wouldn't let odds like that, when thought about like that, keep me from traveling/enjoying most places. I'd consider, perhaps a 30+/100K homicide rate a sign I should give second thoughts about visiting a place. But I have before (New Orleans, Detroit, Baltimore, etc.), and I've never had any problems there, either. A place that ranks 7th on the GDP (PPP) scale is generally not going to be on any list of world dangerous cities. It just defies reason. Though Sao Paulo is considered significantly more unsafe than Mexico City, I wouldn't put it anywhere on that level, either.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:45 PM
 
Location: London, UK
2,189 posts, read 1,083,569 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
and perhaps the most plant biodiverse region of the world, with one finding lush deciduous, tropical, arid (cactus/etc.) and alpine vegetation, all within a couple hour reach. Not too many places (if any) in the world can make that claim.
Let's not go overboard now. In biodiversity and specifically plant life there are dozens of other places in the world that are more diverse. Also that same natural diversity and more can be found around Bogota. Pine forests check, arid desert check (Sabrinsky & La Candelaria), not to mention serengeti-like tropical savannah or Paramo that Mexico city doesn't have.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:48 PM
 
232 posts, read 76,203 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
You obviously haven't been. Anyone whose been to either two wouldn't be saying that. Israel has a homicide and crime rate the US wish it had
Israel may have a crime and homicide rate smaller than that of the US, but it has many more bombing attacks.


Quote:
Mexico city is no more dangerous than Washington DC.
Washington DC can be considered as safe by mexican standards, but dangerous by american standards
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:51 PM
 
3,262 posts, read 2,360,296 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So me my girlfriend and some of my friends have been thinking about going on a 7-10 day abroad vacation. None of us have ever really been outside America. Although some (including me) have been to Canada, but that barely counts. We want to avoid the typical ultra tourist trap areas. We've been throwing some ideas around and this and came up with this list. Some of the things that are important include. Currently there's no real time table for this, just want to get some ideas.
1. Outdoor activities
2. History
3. Food and drink
4. Culture
5. Affordability
6. Natural beaty
7. Travel Safety
8. Weather
Sorry to stray too far from original topic. But, I really would consider some spots in Northern LatAm too... at least as a consideration. But, given this list, I personally would choose Tel Aviv/Jerusalem. That would truly be the trip of a lifetime, and really distinctive from what you have seen before. As for outdoor activities, you have Tel Aviv, which is arguably one of the 5 best beach/city combinations on earth. From a natural beauty standpoint, you have the aforementioned beaches of Tel Aviv, plus numerous mountainous areas, geological features, etc. You have desert scenery in a number of places, but you also have extremely lush places like the area surrounding Galilee. You also have the Dead Sea, the lowest point in world/saltiest body of water, thus a world wonder. Food/Nightlife You have Tel Aviv, which is known the world over as a nightlife haven, I'm sure it has a great drink scene to match. If you like Mediterranean cooking in general, I'm sure you'll do well here and I'd also guess there is a great mix of flavors and international options. Culture Tel Aviv itself I think is not as established a museum ground, but it has an interesting culture with a 21st century downtown emerging as a global tech hub, the distinctive party/social culture of the beach area and the impressive Bauhaus architecture, and the Jaffa Port, which has a 3 millennia history. So, three distinct cities in one, and a place that is still very much evolving. Affordability It may be slightly more expensive to get here, but once you do, I think a number of things will be cheaper than other places on your list. It's not cheapest, but not amazingly steep by any stretch either. Kinda middle of the road I'd say.
Travel Safety I've already mentioned on that. Follow news reports, and what is true, is that things could get bad at some point in time. But generally? Safer than most places in the world.
Weather Mediterranean Climate personified. Ranks at the very high end of desirable climates, basically year round.
HistoryJerusalem and surrounds going to outrank any of these other cities regarding the length and significance of it's history. There's a reason, Howard Hillman, global wonders expert, has the Jerusalem Walled City ranked higher in his wonder rankings than any other city on the planet.

Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these, but I think that a trip to Israel, out of these, truly falls into the epic category.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:55 PM
 
3,262 posts, read 2,360,296 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Let's not go overboard now. In biodiversity and specifically plant life there are dozens of other places in the world that are more diverse. Also that same natural diversity and more can be found around Bogota. Pine forests check, arid desert check (Sabrinsky & La Candelaria), not to mention serengeti-like tropical savannah or Paramo that Mexico city doesn't have.
I'm not completely disagreeing, but what other cities in the world can one find truly arid (cactus/etc.), deciduous (a coating of trees like one would find in Chapultepec Park, Condesa (I can't think of a place that is more lush yet urban, that I've been to yet), etc., alpine (Cumbres, with snow capped peaks to boot), and tropical, all in one go? Bogota, as another major city that is near the equator, but at altitude would seem to be a candidate, but does it have all four of those within an hour's drive? I know, in true biodiversity, the way it is measured, places with most are generally considered like Costa Rica, Colombia (esp. near the rainbow rivers I can't recall the name of), Brazil, etc... but while I guess there may be more species on count.. it seems like one would have to travel several hours in those places to get between microclimates/environments like that. MC it almost seemed like it blended into one another. And even if not, maybe 15 minutes drive and you felt like you had jumped continents.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2018, 02:57 PM
 
232 posts, read 76,203 times
Reputation: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
A place that ranks 7th on the GDP (PPP) scale is generally not going to be on any list of world dangerous cities. It just defies reason. Though Sao Paulo is considered significantly more unsafe than Mexico City, I wouldn't put it anywhere on that level, either.
Mexico city is also a place where a significant number of homes do not have running water, working sewers, where drinkable tap water is still a dream, and unpaved streets aren't so rare. That GDP thing really means MC is large, wealth is a different story.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top