U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best vacation spot
Lima Peru 6 19.35%
Dublin/Cork Ireland 7 22.58%
Palermo/Catania Italy (Sicily) 1 3.23%
Lisbon Portugal 10 32.26%
Tel Aviv/Jerusalem Israel 2 6.45%
Buenos Aires Argentina 4 12.90%
Munich Germany 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2018, 02:27 AM

3,366 posts, read 2,447,095 times

Advertisements

Wow, Colombia truly looks mind blowing, amazing pictures, and thanks for providing! A place with that many landscapes and cultures so close together is truly hard to imagine. Looks I will certainly have a LONG list whenever I do go, I had been thinking of Cartagena as being the priority for that region of Colombia, but this looks to have it's offerings and then some!

Re: Israel. Thank you for contributing your perspective, it does sound like you are not very big on Israel in general. That said, I can speak to others, a decent number that have visited for general touristic purposes, wellness trips, Christian trips to visit Holy sites, and those attending festivals in Tel Aviv that have all had wonderful things to say. Regarding summer temps, Israel is a hot country in general, true, but at least from a numbers standpoint, I don't think one going there for the beach to begin with would be excessively uncomfortable in Tel Aviv. The hottest month is 86* avg high, and that's with significantly less avg. humidity than one would find in many coastal areas in the world. I would certainly say more comfortable on avg. than FL, the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, etc. at this time based on numbers. Jerusalem's climate I wouldn't consider unbearable either again based on avg's of course so maybe there's something I'm missing? It's in the mountains at 2,500 ft., and thus is probably cooler than places around it, with summer highs in the mid-low 80s and lows in the mid 60s. I'm sure both can be too hot during mid day at times, but their avg's don't look much different from Lisbon's at this time. From a statistical perspective, both Lisbon and Tel Aviv, and Portugal and Israel, don't seem to be much different on their violent crime rates though. Both are quite low, rhetoric aside. I don't disagree that many may hate Israel, but they seem to figure out ways to keep that from impacting people's day to day lives, at least from everything that I have heard and studied to this point.

Scenery? Yeah.. but I think Israel performs quite strong here. The stalwart I think is having the Mediterranean Beaches on one end immediately in an urban setting (in fact, out of GaWC cities, the closest proximity of any city center to coast, edging out Barcelona), and the Dead Sea is undeniably, as the lowest point in the world, etc. and it's salt content, highly distinctive and supposedly healing. Between there, mountains/lushness/desert. I'd say on this list, perhaps Lima and Sicily can match if looking further out (like, on a 150-200 mile radius), though I suppose if someone likes lush places, Israel might not rate as strong overall lol, in that case, Dublin and Munich do very well.

And as far as kind of "history", I mean, even if one is not religious whatsoever, wouldn't there be some appreciation of the fact that this was a MAJOR point of significance for three major world religions? I mean, MIT is generally most likely a quite secular place, yet would rank 4 of the top 15 most significant humans who ever lived as coming from this general region. Not to mention, other sites of general significance and influence in historic and modern times (Jericho, Tel Aviv), that don't really have much to do with religion. Just some from a historical aesthetic/preservation standpoint I have seen Jerusalem listed at or near the very top of the world's most impressive old cities.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 02:33 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,144,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Re: Israel. Thank you for contributing your perspective, it does sound like you are not very big on Israel in general.
I am big on Israel, I was there last month and I'm probably going back sometime to explore the north more. It's iron_stick whose obviously fearful or prejudice towards the place.

I enjoyed all Israel has to offer, it packs a lot for a small country. I was in Eilat, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Jericho, Ded Sea & Tel Aviv-Yafo. The only thing I would mention is that its pricey even more-so than many places in Europe.

Quote:
Cartagena as being the priority for that region of Colombia, but this looks to have it's offerings and then some
Cartagena is one of those another level cities when it comes to architecture. Like a mini Florence or like Dubrovnik, there really is no city like it in the Americas - it's a walled city like Jerusalem. Both places offer different things to the traveller although both have history, Cartagena flourished in the 1500's while Santa Marta perished from so many pirate attacks.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-05-2018 at 02:51 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 05:02 AM

Oh yeah, I wasn't talking about you I was talking about the other poster mentioning some very negative things about Israel. Don't get me wrong, I'm certain it's not all sunshine an rainbows, but it does appear something happened personally to this poster to cause them to have some type of negative perception of Israel as a whole. The terror risk and excessive heat perceptions aren't uncommon for outsiders to have, but the thing about businessmen makes me think there is some built up personal experience that might not reflect overall reality.

That's awesome, yeah it definitely seems to have the best preserved walled set up of any Americas city. I mean, QC has one too, and esp. with it's bucolic surrounding is quite pretty, that said, Cartagena seems to be an order of magnitude up from there in terms of preservation/size/atmosphere/significance. As Americas cities go, it's at least Top 10 on my list that I haven't yet seen, possibly Top 5. The problem is too many places, too little time, but like you mentioned I could probably do a week in Colombia and hit 2, maybe even 3 places given proximity and price point. I know to some degree this thread has jumped ahead of original topic/destinations, but I think it's worth noting that Cartagena, as long as one stays within old city areas/waterfront areas (which appear to be plenty), is probably among the safer and most inviting urban spaces in all of Latin America.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 AM

2,969 posts, read 1,088,267 times
I voted for Buenos Aires and I also like Lima. I think the key is that you can enjoy nice food and drink very expensively which I suppose is also true of Lisbon.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:00 PM

Default Cartagena of Indies

Quote:
I know to some degree this thread has jumped ahead of original topic/destinations, but I think it's worth noting that Cartagena, as long as one stays within old city areas/waterfront areas (which appear to be plenty), is probably among the safer and most inviting urban spaces in all of Latin America.
Yes, considering the OP is looking for a secure destination on a budget, it's definitely worth noting that Cartagena, especially in the historic city, Getsemani, Bocagrande, Castillogrande etc. is a very safe destination. Not to mention the quality of its preservation as a city from the 1500's and vibrant street & festival life, i.e. Hay Festival, Cartagena Music Festival, India Catalina Film Festival and the first independent territory of the Americas from European colonial rule, the Maroon town Palenque de San Basilio, where they still speak in African Bantu and along with Cartagena is UNESCO world heritage.

Cartagena of Indies
Colombia's 5th largest city, about the size of Helsinki

Ene 7 - Plaza San Pedro by Cartagena Festival Internacional de Música, on Flickr

India Catalina- Cartagena, Colombia by Hugo Tello, on Flickr

Cartagena-32 by Heaton Johnson, on Flickr

Convento De La Popa, Cartagena by J Zaragoza, on Flickr

Cartagena, Colombia by Ben Perek, on Flickr

Fuerte de San Felipe de Barajas by Carlos Bustamante Restrepo, on Flickr

Concierto PuertoCartagena_F_Wilfredo Amaya_110117_105_ by Cartagena Festival Internacional de Música, on Flickr

Teatro Heredia - NWA_1929 by Nock Wong, on Flickr

Cartagena by Aaron Geddes, on Flickr

III San Pedro G_Argos_F_Wilfredo Amaya_140117_119_ by Cartagena Festival Internacional de Música, on Flickr

Walking in Cartagena by Filippo Manaresi, on Flickr

Pedro de Heredia by Alejandro Mendoza Muñoz, on Flickr

Beautiful city by Carlos Bustamante Restrepo, on Flickr

Vista desde The Beach Hostel by Ximena Carrillo, on Flickr

Cartagena Panorama Downtown & Bocagrande by hjimenez09, on Flickr

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-07-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 PM

1,770 posts, read 906,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yes, considering the OP is looking for a secure destination on a budget, it's definitely worth noting that Cartagena, especially in the historic city, Getsemani, Bocagrande, Castillogrande etc. is a very safe destination. Not to mention the quality of its preservation as a city from the 1500's and vibrant street & festival life, i.e. Hay Festival, Cartagena Music Festival, India Catalina Film Festival and the first independent territory of the Americas from European colonial rule, the Maroon town Palenque de San Basilio, where they still speak in African Bantu and along with Cartagena is UNESCO world heritage.

Cartagena of Indies
Colombia's 5th largest city, about the size of Helsinki

Ene 7 - Plaza San Pedro by Cartagena Festival Internacional de Música, on Flickr

India Catalina- Cartagena, Colombia by Hugo Tello, on Flickr

Cartagena-32 by Heaton Johnson, on Flickr

Convento De La Popa, Cartagena by J Zaragoza, on Flickr

Cartagena, Colombia by Ben Perek, on Flickr

Fuerte de San Felipe de Barajas by Carlos Bustamante Restrepo, on Flickr

Concierto PuertoCartagena_F_Wilfredo Amaya_110117_105_ by Cartagena Festival Internacional de Música, on Flickr

Teatro Heredia - NWA_1929 by Nock Wong, on Flickr

Cartagena by Aaron Geddes, on Flickr

III San Pedro G_Argos_F_Wilfredo Amaya_140117_119_ by Cartagena Festival Internacional de Música, on Flickr

Walking in Cartagena by Filippo Manaresi, on Flickr

Pedro de Heredia by Alejandro Mendoza Muñoz, on Flickr

Beautiful city by Carlos Bustamante Restrepo, on Flickr

Vista desde The Beach Hostel by Ximena Carrillo, on Flickr

Cartagena Panorama Downtown & Bocagrande by hjimenez09, on Flickr

Whoa. I think I might have to put it on my list now. Thanks.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Whoa. I think I might have to put it on my list now. Thanks.
Yes it's very safe and only about $210 rtn from FL, $450 rtn from NYC & 490 rtn from ATL, all direct flights. You can even split your time between the city and the islands 1 hour speedboat ride away. There are really good value luxury apartments to idyllic hostels depending on your travel styles or you can mix it up. If it's a large group you can probably take over an entire place, colonial house/luxury apartment.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:07 AM

258 posts, read 89,103 times
I guess the recent news really is an excellent example of how safe Israel is.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:15 PM

753 posts, read 421,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So me my girlfriend and some of my friends have been thinking about going on a 7-10 day abroad vacation. None of us have ever really been outside America. Although some (including me) have been to Canada, but that barely counts. We want to avoid the typical ultra tourist trap areas. We've been throwing some ideas around and this and came up with this list. Some of the things that are important include. Currently there's no real time table for this, just want to get some ideas.
1. Outdoor activities
2. History
3. Food and drink
4. Culture
5. Affordability
6. Natural beaty
7. Travel Safety
8. Weather
Ireland's natural beauty is underrated. Some of the nicest scenery I've seen is a hike near Dublin. The people there are also very friendly and extroverted so it would be relatively easy to make friends to find things to do. If I wanted a low cost, low intensity trip with friends where you don't try to pack in as many activities as possible then I'd pick Ireland.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:47 PM

There are places in the world that certainly have a more dynamic urban or natural environment than Dublin, but I’m hard pressed to come up with even 5 cities in the world that match how well rounded Dublin is.

Historic: Maybe not the most in Europe, but still certainly a lot to see, a great aesthetic/attractions from multiple historic eras. Newgrange is notable as a day trip here.

Modern: I believe Google’s European HQ is here? In any sense, it has I believe a part of town that is very modern/a tech hub. In addition though, it’s very progressive and among the world leaders in HDI/Gini/GDP Per Capita (one of the few that beats the US in this regard.)

Livability: Outstanding Safety, cleanliness, transit networks, food and drink scene, etc.

Greenery: Ireland is of course known for this but Dublin is also known for being one of the greenest major cities in the world, including Phoenix Park a very Pastoral Green space close to the heart of the city.

Coast: nearly walking distance from the city. I believe Howth served as a film location for Star Wars so what it loses in being swimmable it makes up for by being ruggedly beautiful.

Mountains: very mountainous, in fact ranks 8th out of 60 world cities in terms of Mountains present within 10 miles.

All that does add up to one of the world’s most well rounded cities. And while it ain’t cheap, you could probably find a good price on an AirBNB rental. Plus, you will save on flights, both cost and time spent in air compared to other European cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World