Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best vacation spot
Lima Peru 6 19.35%
Dublin/Cork Ireland 7 22.58%
Palermo/Catania Italy (Sicily) 1 3.23%
Lisbon Portugal 10 32.26%
Tel Aviv/Jerusalem Israel 2 6.45%
Buenos Aires Argentina 4 12.90%
Munich Germany 1 3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:55 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times

Advertisements

So me my girlfriend and some of my friends have been thinking about going on a 7-10 day abroad vacation. None of us have ever really been outside America. Although some (including me) have been to Canada, but that barely counts. We want to avoid the typical ultra tourist trap areas. We've been throwing some ideas around and this and came up with this list. Some of the things that are important include. Currently there's no real time table for this, just want to get some ideas.
1. Outdoor activities
2. History
3. Food and drink
4. Culture
5. Affordability
6. Natural beaty
7. Travel Safety
8. Weather

Last edited by Turnerbro; 04-26-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 04:19 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,628 times
I have been to all those places. I think I would choose Lisbon as the most suitable for first time travellers.

Just keep in mind that places which are called tourist traps are that for a reason. They inevitably have sites of such importance that many tourists want to see them.

In Europe more so than South America, English is widely spoken and travelling is easy.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I have been to all those places. I think I would choose Lisbon as the most suitable for first time travellers.

Just keep in mind that places which are called tourist traps are that for a reason. They inevitably have sites of such importance that many tourists want to see them.

In Europe more so than South America, English is widely spoken and travelling is easy.
Thanks for the input. Yeah I forgot to talk about the language thing. Most of us only know English, I can speak a little Spanish but am far from fluent.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 04-26-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 04-26-2018, 05:51 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Flight to Ireland is probably the cheapest.

Lisbon is nice too.

Munich is boring but the surrounding areas are very nice if you have money to do day trips.

Lima is very ugly. I only do it if I have money to combine this trip with Machu Picchu .

Old 04-27-2018, 08:35 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,724,360 times
I just came back from Tel Aviv. Israel is pretty pricey if you're on a budget this is not the place for you. Great beach life but not much history either, you need to go to Jerusalem or Nazareth for that.

In fact none of the places you've chosen are particularly affordable apart from Lisbon, Lima and maybe Dublin & Sicily. Other cities you mentioned also don't offer much in outdoor activities such as Buenos Aires.

As a first time visitor and assuming you're going in the summer to get in some beach time I would chose Lisbon. However, seeing as you have Mexico on your doorstep and flights are like nothing I don't see why you don't choose there. Mexico offers more than any of the countries you mentioned apart from Italy and Israel which does pack a punch for its small size.

Take it from someone who is not far off his 50th country, Mexico is the perfect option and especially the Yucatan for the first time traveller i.e. Tulum-Playa del Carmen-Mérida-Campeche-Chichen Itza-Coba-Holbox and Valladolid and it's cenotes.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:34 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Lisbon.

Old 04-27-2018, 10:53 AM

630 posts, read 525,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I just came back from Tel Aviv. Israel is pretty pricey if you're on a budget this is not the place for you. Great beach life but not much history either, you need to go to Jerusalem or Nazareth for that.

In fact none of the places you've chosen are particularly affordable apart from Lisbon, Lima and maybe Dublin & Sicily. Other cities you mentioned also don't offer much in outdoor activities such as Buenos Aires.

As a first time visitor and assuming you're going in the summer to get in some beach time I would chose Lisbon. However, seeing as you have Mexico on your doorstep and flights are like nothing I don't see why you don't choose there. Mexico offers more than any of the countries you mentioned apart from Italy and Israel which does pack a punch for its small size.

Take it from someone who is not far off his 50th country, Mexico is the perfect option and especially the Yucatan for the first time traveller i.e. Tulum-Playa del Carmen-Mérida-Campeche-Chichen Itza-Coba-Holbox and Valladolid and it's cenotes.
Mexico and Israel aren't incredibly safe destinations though.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Well at one point we where thinking Mexico City and the neighboring beaches. But that recent killing spree is concerning. From most of what I've heard, Israel is actually pretty safe. Though I do understand that it isn't exactly cheap.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Well at one point we where thinking Mexico City and the neighboring beaches. But that recent killing spree is concerning. From most of what I've heard, Israel is actually pretty safe. Though I do understand that it isn't exactly cheap.
Killing spree where? You need to turn off that US media brother - it does you more harm than good. 9 million people visit Cancun alone each year! 9 million!!! And you're worried about some low life drug dealers killing each other far away from anywhere you would venture to?

I wouldn't choose Mexico city as a first time traveller, you'll be too nervous through the psychological babble your country feeds you + you want outdoor adventure and possibly beach. Mex city doesn't have any beach nearby - except for Acapulco, which is dangerous! I've been to Acapulco and enjoyed it but I wouldn't recommend for a first time traveller. The Yucatan on the other hand is a perfect blend of cultural cities (Merida), outdoor activities (Cenotes/Maya ruins) and beach (Tulum), I was just there in February - Air b&b's are crazy cheap. I doubt I spent more than $600 for a week including flights and that's from London, UK!

Here's a little reminder to take the US media and what people around you say (especially those who have never been there) with a pinch of salt. The first video are people that have never been outside the US apart from Canada and the second video is of people that have been to 20+ countries.

It's Medellin, but it applies to the subject matter.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Have you been to either country? It's a rhetorical question because the obvious answer is No. If you had you wouldn't be saying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World