Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 03:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times

Advertisements

Looser border controls some parts of Europe some much tighter
Not everyone on the same page
General rule of thumb those that find themselves given the dirty end don’t like it -the
Limousine lefties that impose no border rules are just like here -people that use their money to evade the personal consequences of the laws they have passed

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 04-28-2018 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 04:19 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
9/11 changed all of that.
Most of the provisions of the US Patriot Act and the creation of the Department of Homeland Security were already on paper and a work in progress before 9/11. The WTC attack was only a pretext that accelerated the general abolition of the constitutional freedoms of the American people.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:01 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
9/11 changed all of that. The US started it and Mexico and Canada of course followed with their own versions. I do remember going into Tijuana either for shopping during the day or clubbing at night. Crossing into Mexico was as simple as walking through a revolving gate, nothing more. Coming back, we showed our ID and they would either ask, "country of birth, citizenship etc." or something similar and you would just get waved through.
Yes I remember people crossing from Buffalo to Niagara falls simply being asked where they were born. They just said Buffalo and were waived through.

I would be curious how long did it take to cross the Tijuana border before september 11 in either direction but particularly northbound?

Interestingly I heard the lines at US Canada border are almost back to pre september 11 levels or not too much worse in terms of wait times. But the lines at the southern border is still much much worse than pre september 11 lines at least for northbound. I always wonder why as there never a known terror threat from the Mexican border connected to 9/11 or other attacks since 9/11 yet those involved with 9/11 cross the Canada border quite a number of time. The war on drugs wasn't really a big issue until 2009 but the northbound lines after 9/11 and before 2009 hardly improved at all.

Yet the lines never went back to normal for northbound traffic even though it went back to normal for quite a while for southbound traffic which Mexico immigrations as well as Customs check needed to process almost just as much traffic. And they since 2015 need to check documents and scan luggage of all southbound bus and foot passengers. Even during rush or busy hours it appears a half an hour to 45 minute wait southbound is long. But it would be a lucky day if that wait is for northbound traffic.

Meanwhile in Europe their plans if they haven't already done so is to lift immigration checkpoints to eastern Europe as well. I heard that Turkey is abolishing passport requirements for Schenegan area citizens or travelers.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:02 PM

27,140 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Europe is tightening it's borders just look at Easten European countries such as Hungary, as well as the UK and Brexit.

There was a 100% drop in immigrants entering Hungary after they put up a proper border barrier.

Hungarian border barrier - Wikipedia

Border barrier - Wikipedia

The UK doesn't need a wall we have the Engish Channel.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
9/11 changed all of that. The US started it and Mexico and Canada of course followed with their own versions. I do remember going into Tijuana either for shopping during the day or clubbing at night. Crossing into Mexico was as simple as walking through a revolving gate, nothing more. Coming back, we showed our ID and they would either ask, "country of birth, citizenship etc." or something similar and you would just get waved through.
That's not quite accurate. The U.S. demanded compliance from both Canada and Mexico to upgrade their systems and citizen database sharing in order to maintain some semblance of convenience of crossing otherwise both tourism and commerce would have been severely impacted.

Old 04-29-2018, 05:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
Yes I remember people crossing from Buffalo to Niagara falls simply being asked where they were born. They just said Buffalo and were waived through.

I would be curious how long did it take to cross the Tijuana border before september 11 in either direction but particularly northbound?

Interestingly I heard the lines at US Canada border are almost back to pre september 11 levels or not too much worse in terms of wait times. But the lines at the southern border is still much much worse than pre september 11 lines at least for northbound. I always wonder why as there never a known terror threat from the Mexican border connected to 9/11 or other attacks since 9/11 yet those involved with 9/11 cross the Canada border quite a number of time. The war on drugs wasn't really a big issue until 2009 but the northbound lines after 9/11 and before 2009 hardly improved at all.

Yet the lines never went back to normal for northbound traffic even though it went back to normal for quite a while for southbound traffic which Mexico immigrations as well as Customs check needed to process almost just as much traffic. And they since 2015 need to check documents and scan luggage of all southbound bus and foot passengers. Even during rush or busy hours it appears a half an hour to 45 minute wait southbound is long. But it would be a lucky day if that wait is for northbound traffic.

Meanwhile in Europe their plans if they haven't already done so is to lift immigration checkpoints to eastern Europe as well. I heard that Turkey is abolishing passport requirements for Schenegan area citizens or travelers.
Say what? Those involved in 9/11 were all in the U.S. on granted visitor/student visas having entered through ports of entry OTHER than Canada.

If you're suggesting there's something wrong with the current travel ban in that it does not prevent those citizens of the country spawning the majority of the 9/11 terrorists, those being Saudi's, I couldn't agree with you more, but again, they don't come via Canada. They fly direct into the U.S. unfettered.

Old 04-29-2018, 07:00 PM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Say what? Those involved in 9/11 were all in the U.S. on granted visitor/student visas having entered through ports of entry OTHER than Canada.

If you're suggesting there's something wrong with the current travel ban in that it does not prevent those citizens of the country spawning the majority of the 9/11 terrorists, those being Saudi's, I couldn't agree with you more, but again, they don't come via Canada. They fly direct into the U.S. unfettered.
True though I heard some crosses through Canada, but none crossed the Mexican border. Nor did any similar threats ever come from Mexico.

Yet that border is the only border in which the hours of delay that plagued crossers since 9/11 never got better at least for northbound travelers over the years. Every other border crossing and airport checkpoint have long since moved on from making people wait in line for hours just to cross in or board a plane.

Also Interesting how Mexico can handle the same amount of crossers southbound for a fraction of the time. Almost with the efficiency of the US/ Canadian border for either directions. Even though Nowadays they check documents for foot and bus crossers and scan everyone’s luggage. It’s no longer just a red light green light system that lets most crossers escape normal border crossing scrutiny.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:22 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:

That has always taken forever because people live there and work here. The times were more variable though and sometimes, you could do it in a half hour. Now, 1 1/2 hours is the norm with 2 hours or more at times.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
True though I heard some crosses through Canada, but none crossed the Mexican border. Nor did any similar threats ever come from Mexico.

Yet that border is the only border in which the hours of delay that plagued crossers since 9/11 never got better at least for northbound travelers over the years. Every other border crossing and airport checkpoint have long since moved on from making people wait in line for hours just to cross in or board a plane.

Also Interesting how Mexico can handle the same amount of crossers southbound for a fraction of the time. Almost with the efficiency of the US/ Canadian border for either directions. Even though Nowadays they check documents for foot and bus crossers and scan everyone’s luggage. It’s no longer just a red light green light system that lets most crossers escape normal border crossing scrutiny.
Patently false. However since the good people of the USA were LIED to, by your politicians, I can see why the lie has stuck.

Brusan already mentioned how they entered the US, but I'll just add one more thing. You guys taught them to fly as well...but fine...go on blaming Canada.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-30-2018 at 01:23 PM..

Old 04-30-2018, 06:07 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Patently false. However since the good people of the USA were LIED to, by your politicians, I can see why the lie has stuck.

Brusan already mentioned how they entered the US, but I'll just add one more thing. You guys taught them to fly as well...but fine...go on blaming Canada.
I don't know where that lie comes from, but it's well known that the would be hijackers were in the US prior to the attacks. I don't remember Canada ever taking the blame for that. In fact, it was praised for taking on all the additional traffic on 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World