Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:07 PM

518 posts, read 397,811 times

Advertisements

La Grande Arche

Louvre Pyramid

Paris is always going to win

Maybe also the Brandenburg Gate, which is older but it only became famous after German unification

the Sydney Opera house is already old: 1973 is not modern in times of internet and globalization

Last edited by QuebecOpec; 05-15-2018 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
I disagree. I think they are both well known structures. The Opera House is probably more well known though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It does not belong in a conversation about the most recognizable structure in modern times. You can discuss the merits of whether or not the Sydney Opera house is, but the opera house DOES belong in the conversation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Agree, I only know the St. Louis Arch from some random thing I watched on Netflix recently (and I'm not sure what it was). It is is no way close to being the most recognisable structure built in living memory!

I think Sydney Opera House has pretty much taken this one. Oh, apart from the San Jose Town Hall dome, right The Topper?! (J/K obv.)

Old 05-15-2018, 06:35 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Never sacrificing on functionality when these critical essential landmarks are made. Allocate surrounding money into the right urban planning projects. Filter through what is necessary or frivolous nonsense in delivery. Efficiently prioritize from earliest to final results from a paid worker perspective to successfully allow that to happen. Lots of combining forces together with enacting such forms of reality. Not just exclusive economic matters that is in picture. Other factors surrounding these serious main events to encourage these rational imperative touristic icons.

Oriental Pearl Tower:
https://www.topchinatravel.com/pic/c...TV-Tower-3.jpg
The Oriental Pearl Tower always reminded me of something you'd see in them low-budget 1940s 50s American futuristic (for then) Outer-Space Si-Fi movies and comic books ...

Old 05-17-2018, 01:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I disagree. I think they are both well known structures. The Opera House is probably more well known though.
I guess the trouble with " most recognizable " is that we all see the world through our eyes only. The St Louis Arch, may be more famous within the US than elsewhere.

For example, I showed a photo of it to my partner....no clue as to where or what it was. Sydney Opera house, no problem.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Eiffel Tower.

Or if within last 100 years, Empire State Building.

Within last 50 years, I don't have an answer. None are super-recognizable. I would say the old WTC but it's gone. Sydney Opera would not be recognized by 90% of folks.

Old 05-17-2018, 02:16 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I actually would disagree with you there, because the Sydney Opera House has such a distinctive shape and so inextricably linked with the city. I would say the Sydney Opera House is one of the few within that time span that one can say this about, but I'd say it may even outrank certain older buildings in terms of notoriety/recognition. Maybe not the Eiffel Tower which is on another level along with perhaps the Pyramids of Giza, Great Wall, as the most iconic/recognizable structures on earth, but certainly in the Top 10 of buildings within the last 250 years.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Are you seriously trying to suggest that people in this world would recognise a football stadium more than the Golden Gate Bridge! Nonsense! Barcelona are only popular in your head! Personally I wouldn't recognise the stadium if I tripped over it! Barcelona are not very popular in the UK and I imagine the same would be said of anywhere outside of Spain or Spanish speaking countries.
I visited Spain a couple of years ago and stayed in Barcelona for 6 days. Visited many places including many of Gaudi's famous buildings and even Montserrat mountains and monastery. Never heard of Camp Nou or whatever it is called until this thread.

And I have traveled quite a bt of the world, am reasonably intelligent and read up o world events. If I can't know or recognize this stadium I doubt many will except the die hard soccer fans.

Similarly many would not know the St. Louis Arch, Taipei 101 or Petronas unless they are from that area. I have heard of all three and seen two of them but would not be able to distinguish Taipei 101 from another tall skyscraper.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I actually would disagree with you there, because the Sydney Opera House has such a distinctive shape and so inextricably linked with the city. I would say the Sydney Opera House is one of the few within that time span that one can say this about, but I'd say it may even outrank certain older buildings in terms of notoriety/recognition. Maybe not the Eiffel Tower which is on another level along with perhaps the Pyramids of Giza, Great Wall, as the most iconic/recognizable structures on earth, but certainly in the Top 10 of buildings within the last 250 years.
I agree with Sydney Opera house as being the most famous of the recent structures.

Certainly not as famous as the Eiffel tower which is at a whole new higher level along with the likes of Statue of Liberty, the Taj Mahal and Great wall of China. Those are true iconic structures.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
I agree with Sydney Opera house as being the most famous of the recent structures.

Certainly not as famous as the Eiffel tower which is at a whole new higher level along with the likes of Statue of Liberty, the Taj Mahal and Great wall of China. Those are true iconic structures.
Many countries have an 'iconic' building of some kind, just about EVERY time you see a depiction of London for example you will see the clock tower containing Big Ben, Paris, the Eiffel Tower of course. If we are talking 'new' structures in both cities then I suggest in London the London Eye (perhaps the Shard) and the glass pyramid thingy (sorry don't know what its called) in Paris.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Many countries have an 'iconic' building of some kind, just about EVERY time you see a depiction of London for example you will see the clock tower containing Big Ben, Paris, the Eiffel Tower of course. If we are talking 'new' structures in both cities then I suggest in London the London Eye (perhaps the Shard) and the glass pyramid thingy (sorry don't know what its called) in Paris.

Agree with London Eye.
Compared to the Shard the Gherkin is more recognizable structure in London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World