U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:24 AM

1,735 posts, read 535,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Just because it includes the CN Tower? Lol.
We'll, it was the tallest freestanding structure in the world for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 07:34 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,059,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
We'll, it was the tallest freestanding structure in the world for a long time.
Yes, I remember it from my childrens encyclopedia books.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:44 AM
BMI

5,944 posts, read 3,345,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Just because it includes the CN Tower? Lol.
Yep, I found it hard to believe nobody mentioned it before

More recognizable than some of the other modern structures mentioned.

For example, St.Louis Gateway Arch was mentioned a couple of times....
Iíve driven through St.Louis a number if times and sure itís cool but
I wouldnít put in the top 5 or even top 10 of most recognizable....maybe to americans,
and even thatís doubtful.

Though I would add The Golden Gate Bridge to any top 10 list (or even top 5).

Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Status: "Il vivait en dehors des chemins forÍstiers [...]" (set 17 days ago)

1,612 posts, read 619,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yep, I found it hard to believe nobody mentioned it before

More recognizable than some of the other modern structures mentioned.

For example, St.Louis Gateway Arch was mentioned a couple of times....
I’ve driven through St.Louis a number if times and sure it’s cool but
I wouldn’t put in the top 5 or even top 10 of most recognizable....maybe to americans,
and even that’s doubtful.

Though I would add The Golden Gate Bridge to any top 10 list (or even top 5).
I agree with the CN Tower, it's a well known tower. Just for a long time I had no idea where it was located lol. Some towers also have a similar shape, like the Stratosphere in LasVegas.
For a long time I also was very confused between Empire State B and the Chrysler tower (my favorite building on earth this CT)

A quite well known pyramid, since it is in front of a touristy museum, in the heart of a touristy city

Old 05-06-2018, 08:40 AM

316 posts, read 191,183 times
Did not look at other responses:
US Bank Tower LA
Freedom Tower NY
30 St Mary Axe London
Shanghai World Financial Center
Sydney Opera House
Bank of China Tower Hong Kong
Tokyo Tower

Old 05-06-2018, 02:33 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,639,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Well, as I said, it might get very variable depending on where you are from. Maybe in East Asia, where most people live, the Tokyo Tower is easily recognizable by almost anyone. In Argentina, I guess the 99% will ask WTF this red Eiffel Tower is. The Petronas Towers may be very well known there too, I have no idea. However, I am confident that in Latin America, Europe and Africa, Camp Nou is infinitely more widely known than the Petronas (Wembley, Santiago Bernabeu and several other stadiums also qualify, but I suspect Camp Nou has gained a bit more fame - it would be a different dicussion).

For instance, most people here don't really know much about the rest of the world, and I don't see many ones relating the shape of the Petronas to their name or their aproximate location thanks to pop references. I, myself, don't remember right now a movie portraying the Petronas (my fault). I know them due to my interest in geography and the world, and due to the factoid that they were designed by an Argentine, which brought them its 15 minutes of fame years ago.
Camp Nou?? I doubt it, its a football stadium, there are many stadiums and its not even the worlds most famous, I wouldn't be able to distinguish it from any other football stadium (I'm guessing it has a pitch surrounded by four stands of some kind)? At least Wembley has the arch to make it recognisable what does the Nou Camp have to make it more recognisable than say Old Trafford? If anything Real Madrid's stadium would be 'more' famous wouldn't it?

Old 05-06-2018, 02:38 PM

10,389 posts, read 7,249,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What is the most recognizable man-made structure in the world that was built in modern times?

Key definitions:
Recognizable = most people will know what it is when they see a picture of it.
Modern times = built during the memory of people still alive.
Man-made = not a naturally occurring phenomenon

My vote is the St. Louis arch.
I know what it is because I have friends that lived in St Louis for a bit. Trust, me, no one knows this arch, especially outside of the US.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Can we consider structures that no longer exist?

I would say the Twin Towers from the World Trade Center, it fits perfectly in all the definitions.

Considering the existing structures, maybe the most recognizable is the Louvre Pyramid or the already mentioned Opera House.
I agree, the Twin Towers is something nearly everyone in the world would know about.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Taipei 101 is not famous at all.
I live in Canada and I know it.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
I agree with the CN Tower, it's a well known tower. Just for a long time I had no idea where it was located lol. Some towers also have a similar shape, like the Stratosphere in LasVegas.
For a long time I also was very confused between Empire State B and the Chrysler tower (my favorite building on earth this CT)

A quite well known pyramid, since it is in front of a touristy museum, in the heart of a touristy city
I have old photos I took while it was being built. I thought it a bit odd at the time. Now I love it. It's the perfect design for that space...and yes world famous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or