U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 03:18 PM

779 posts, read 295,884 times

Advertisements

Paradise, my friend, is within you.....!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 04:25 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,329,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Indeed, but that will be hard to find a place like this...
Did you miss the most important part?

Paradise is a state of mind and a way of life.

Old 07-01-2018, 08:31 AM

6,642 posts, read 7,386,492 times
no such place exists

Old 07-01-2018, 10:45 AM

9,598 posts, read 10,805,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
no such place exists
You mean it's not Ireland?

Old 07-01-2018, 10:51 AM
BMI

6,359 posts, read 3,661,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Paradise, my friend, is within you.....!!!!!!!
Yes.....or Florida

Old 07-01-2018, 11:37 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,358,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Varna, Bulgaria is a paradise.
Vlas, Burgas is :P.

Just remove the ruskies...

Old 07-01-2018, 11:44 AM

1,687 posts, read 711,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Vlas, Burgas is :P.

Just remove the ruskies...
Looks really great indeed, good to know for a travel

Old 07-01-2018, 12:19 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,260,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Singapore. Filthy rich, excellent healthcare, relatively affordable (compared to Hong Kong and Japan), very clean air (outside of the autumn haze caused by wildfires), hardly any traffic (well fine every city has traffic, but hardly any traffic for a city above 1 million people), world-class infrastructure: subways, airport, freeways, public housing, museums, universities...everything Singapore does is world-class.

Singapore is an Alpha + world city, got one of the busiest container ports and airports in the world, the undisputed financial center of Southeast Asia, etc.

Got the same climate as the Virgin Islands BUT without any typhoons/hurricanes/cyclones/whatever you call them. No volcanoes, tsunamis, tornadoes either. Yes, it is humid but not very hot at all as it is always very breezy and surrounded by ocean. Just incredibly lush tropical foilage, tons of greenery, open space/parks, golf courses. The botanical garden in Singapore is 150+ years old and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The Chinatown is wonderfully preserved, with unique architecture and Peranakan (i.e. Chinese-Malay fusion) food that you won't find anywhere besides Malaysia and Singapore. You can get authentic Chinese or Japanese food in San Francisco, but even in San Fran you won't find any Peranakan food. There's also an enormous Little India, and charming British colonial architecture sprinkled throughout Downtown.

Also, Singapore is only one or two hours from the white-sand beaches and snorkeling of Sabah (Northern Borneo) and even closer to Penang, and Malacca, which are also UNESCO world heritage sites for their Peranakan old towns.

Just imagine an entire country that is every bit as nice as any affluent master-planned suburb in the US (like Irvine, California, or The Woodlands, Texas), WITH all the big-city vibe, mass transit, and walkability of NYC or San Fran. Put that country on a balmy tropical island, free from hurricanes/typhoons/tornadoes, and you've got Singapore.
err. No traffic since car is so expensive so most people has to use public transportation.

Old 07-01-2018, 12:21 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,260,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
One persons paradise is another persons hell.

Weather: Personally, a place that's 50-60F degrees and is extremely urban is my paradise. Anything above 70F degrees and I'm inside all day because it's too hot for me. I have a terrible heat tolerance. I also love snow if I don't have to drive in it.

Scenery: I want extreme urban and I don't like nature. I'm allergic to mosquitos and overall hate bugs. Not found of animals in general, though I do like cats. I also don't like open space.

Vibe: Give me big city. I like the weird side of Japan found in particular parts of Tokyo, Osaka, and Sapporo.

Real Paradise Factor: Just give me $10 million. I'll never work again. That's real paradise factor to me.

Beautiful and Friendly People: I love Asians and Puerto Ricans, so I'm a bit biased as I'm sure most people are. Friendly? Honestly, I don't care. I live my life, they live theirs. I'd prefer to talk to who I want and rather have a friendship that goes beyond a persons 'friendliness'. You probably wouldn't think some of my friends friendly, but they're friends and I love them to death. I don't need people smiling at me, it's creepy.

I guarantee you my paradise is vastly different from others. It also doesn't exist but the closest I've seen is Tokyo sans the weather. NYC too, but a lot of what makes America America is starting to kill the experience.
London seems fit you well, weather and urbanity.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:28 PM

231 posts, read 82,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
err. No traffic since car is so expensive so most people has to use public transportation.
Which would make Singapore a paradise for me except that I cannot stand the hot weather. But it is an amazing place and I have witnessed its progress over the last forty years. Incredible progress.

My paradise is here in Sydney. Everything I want is here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or