U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2018, 02:00 PM
 
870 posts, read 553,325 times
Reputation: 1103

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No where but on these forums is the definition of a city debatable.
That's because on these forums, people understand urbanity more than most...we understand that the city borders of a place may not be a true representation of the actual scale of the area in question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2018, 07:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,057 posts, read 21,057,040 times
Reputation: 8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
That's because on these forums, people understand urbanity more than most...we understand that the city borders of a place may not be a true representation of the actual scale of the area in question
So the rest of the world doesn't get it but a plucky band of people on this forum do? LOL just LOL

By that logic, why stick to a states borders? You can get a true representation of the actual scale of the area in question by just including the entire country. Why stop there? Canada's population isn't 36 million. A better representation would be to say North America has 363,844,490. LOL Yeah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM
 
2,201 posts, read 3,685,133 times
Reputation: 1896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
So the rest of the world doesn't get it but a plucky band of people on this forum do? LOL just LOL

By that logic, why stick to a states borders? You can get a true representation of the actual scale of the area in question by just including the entire country. Why stop there? Canada's population isn't 36 million. A better representation would be to say North America has 363,844,490. LOL Yeah
When you discuss the concept of «*Los Angeles*» with a European, do you exclude Santa Monica?

Do anyone, anywhere, really consider El Paso and Jacksonville to be among the largest cities in the US?

You can always disagree with extremely technical issues regarding the definition of a metro area or an urban area but arguing that idiots are idiots does not prove your point, this has nothing to do with CD membership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 10:46 AM
 
696 posts, read 1,090,951 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
So the rest of the world doesn't get it but a plucky band of people on this forum do? LOL just LOL

By that logic, why stick to a states borders? You can get a true representation of the actual scale of the area in question by just including the entire country. Why stop there? Canada's population isn't 36 million. A better representation would be to say North America has 363,844,490. LOL Yeah
No one in their right mind would actually think that DC is not one of the largest cities in the countries.

When you have one city with 5-10x times the land area of another, it doesn't make sense to use city borders as a measure of population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM
 
870 posts, read 553,325 times
Reputation: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
So the rest of the world doesn't get it but a plucky band of people on this forum do? LOL just LOL

By that logic, why stick to a states borders? You can get a true representation of the actual scale of the area in question by just including the entire country. Why stop there? Canada's population isn't 36 million. A better representation would be to say North America has 363,844,490. LOL Yeah
A plucky band of people who happened to be interested in urbanity in its various forms does understand issues such as these more than the majority of the world that doesn't care about these matters...why does this surprise you?...now, does this mean that city-data is full of experts? far from it...does this mean nobody else knows this stuff? far from it...you stated something that was technically correct and someone on city-data provided more data to give a more realistic picture of the size of a place...what was so wrong with that?


Earlier in this thread, Trinidad and Tobago was listed as a country whose capital was not its largest city...I provided more information so that persons who are unfamiliar would not get the wrong impression...the metro area of Trinidad and Tobago's capital city, Port of Spain, has about half of the twin island's population and is easily its largest urban center...city-data has its issues but highlighting the city vs metro vs urban area population and size dynamic is not one of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2018, 08:08 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,057 posts, read 21,057,040 times
Reputation: 8223
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
A plucky band of people who happened to be interested in urbanity in its various forms does understand issues such as these more than the majority of the world that doesn't care about these matters...why does this surprise you?...now, does this mean that city-data is full of experts? far from it...does this mean nobody else knows this stuff? far from it...you stated something that was technically correct and someone on city-data provided more data to give a more realistic picture of the size of a place...what was so wrong with that?


Earlier in this thread, Trinidad and Tobago was listed as a country whose capital was not its largest city...I provided more information so that persons who are unfamiliar would not get the wrong impression...the metro area of Trinidad and Tobago's capital city, Port of Spain, has about half of the twin island's population and is easily its largest urban center...city-data has its issues but highlighting the city vs metro vs urban area population and size dynamic is not one of them
If you say so LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2018, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
2,878 posts, read 1,322,630 times
Reputation: 1727
Gentoo, your wrong. Everyone I talk too in America at least understands the concept of Metropolitan area whether consciously or unconsciously. I have yet to meet someone tell me their from Eden Prairie, Minnesota although I have met several people from there, most of them say their from Minneapolis when talking to people in Texas. When they go internationally they are saying the closest major city. Because most people realize that the suburb they live in is part of a city and developed because of a city. About the only people who don't do it are people from the Inland Empire in CA, as for them claiming LA is hard when they live 70+ miles away.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 05-12-2018 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 04:05 PM
 
1,955 posts, read 645,990 times
Reputation: 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
That's because on these forums, people understand urbanity more than most...we understand that the city borders of a place may not be a true representation of the actual scale of the area in question
Not only that, but the definition of a city is arbitrary. There is no general consensus on what may or may not be included. That's why we get cities (excluding their metros) of various different sizes. It's up to city planners to determine where a city ends and a metro starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 06:06 PM
 
317 posts, read 204,843 times
Reputation: 292
India, USA, Australia, Germany, Canada, Brazil, Italy, Turkey, Poland, Vietnam, Nigeria, Pakistan to name a few countries where the capital is not the largest metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2018, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,337 posts, read 5,083,860 times
Reputation: 2655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Not only that, but the definition of a city is arbitrary. There is no general consensus on what may or may not be included. That's why we get cities (excluding their metros) of various different sizes. It's up to city planners to determine where a city ends and a metro starts.
Canberra is technically not even a city. It does not have a mayor or local government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top