U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 10:10 PM

16,014 posts, read 20,862,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Gentoo, your wrong. Everyone I talk too in America at least understands the concept of Metropolitan area whether consciously or unconsciously. I have yet to meet someone tell me their from Eden Prairie, Minnesota although I have met several people from there, most of them say their from Minneapolis when talking to people in Texas. When they go internationally they are saying the closest major city. Because most people realize that the suburb they live in is part of a city and developed because of a city. About the only people who don't do it are people from the Inland Empire in CA, as for them claiming LA is hard when they live 70+ miles away.
Not sure if you understand what and whom I was referring but I certainly didn't say whatever it is you're responding to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 07:55 AM

2,801 posts, read 1,266,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Not sure if you understand what and whom I was referring but I certainly didn't say whatever it is you're responding to.
Yes it does apply, as you said no one goes by metropolitan area. I'm telling you everyone goes by Metropolitan area, people recognize D.C as a top 10 metropolitan area, and their answers when asked where they live/ are from proves this. People from Northern Virginia, tell me they live in D.C. or Virginia, you said that going by metro is an exclusively City-Data thing it is not.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Yes it does apply, as you said no one goes by metropolitan area. I'm telling you everyone goes by Metropolitan area, people recognize D.C as a top 10 metropolitan area, and their answers when asked where they live/ are from proves this. People from Northern Virginia, tell me they live in D.C. or Virginia, you said that going by metro is an exclusively City-Data thing it is not.

https://www.sandiego.gov/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego

Both of these sources are talking about the city, same way any other source would talk about California and not the west coast when referring to California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego%E2%80%93Tijuana

https://www.opendatanetwork.com/enti...ount?year=2016

These two talk about the metro and you have to use a different search for that. Even then:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...go-population/

This search under San Diego metro gave me another one for city.

Anyway, this isn't going to go anywhere so if you want to say I'm wrong, you're more than welcome to.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:50 PM

566 posts, read 269,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I know there are some cases where the capital used to be the largest city, but then they built a new city to be the capital. Thus, Belize City used to be the capital of Belize until they built Belmopan. I'm pretty sure that Lagos used to be the capital of Nigeria before Abuja. I also think the same thing happened with Brasilia (Brazil), though I don't know what was the capital before then.
Rio de Janeiro was the former capital. In the beginning of 19 century Rio de Janeiro was capital of Portugal too the king and the Portuguese admnistration moved from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Rio de Janeiro was the former capital. In the beginning of 19 century Rio de Janeiro was capital of Portugal too the king and the Portuguese admnistration moved from Lisbon to Rio de Janeiro.
This I did not know. Thanks for sharing that info. They had a city in one of it's colonies as the capital. Interesting stuff

Old 05-15-2018, 05:00 AM

2,793 posts, read 3,042,368 times
Was there any capital city of Australia before Canberra ? I understand that Old Parliament was in Melbourne but somewhere I read that New South Wales was given capital territory status. It is all confusing.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:27 AM

Quote:
This I did not know. Thanks for sharing that info. They had a city in one of it's colonies as the capital. Interesting stuff
They came to Rio de Janeiro escaping of Napoleon and stayed over there ruling the empire for more than 20 years. When the Portuguese admnistration came back to Lisbon, part of them didn’t want back, so Pedro I the king stayed in Brazil and his brother and father back to Lisbon and Brazil became independent with this fight between them. Brazil as independent country was a monarchy for 70 years.

Old 05-15-2018, 05:49 AM

3,281 posts, read 5,025,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Was there any capital city of Australia before Canberra ? I understand that Old Parliament was in Melbourne but somewhere I read that New South Wales was given capital territory status. It is all confusing.
Never heard about NSW been given Capital Territory Status, through the current Australian Capital Territory was part of the colony of New South Wales before its creation, so that might be what you are talking about.

I have no idea if NSW was compensated for giving over the land. Though it seems likely it would have been

Yes Australia's federal parliament was in Melbourne for about the first 15 years of the countries existence, though I don't think Melbourne was ever given any status as the official capital. Its always been Canberra, but they had to build it first.

Edit: it was actually first 27 years that the federal parliament was in Melbourne.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 05-15-2018 at 06:09 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
They came to Rio de Janeiro escaping of Napoleon and stayed over there ruling the empire for more than 20 years. When the Portuguese admnistration came back to Lisbon, part of them didn’t want back, so Pedro I the king stayed in Brazil and his brother and father back to Lisbon and Brazil became independent with this fight between them. Brazil as independent country was a monarchy for 70 years.
Even more interesting. Brazil became independent due to a royal family dispute? I love learning stuff like this as I really had no idea.

Old 05-15-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Even more interesting. Brazil became independent due to a royal family dispute? I love learning stuff like this as I really had no idea.
Elites dispute I would say. The royal family tried please both sides but who declared the independence of Brazil was the heir Prince of the Portuguese Throne raised in Rio de Janeiro when the royal family were there. Crazy if we think about.

But if Portugal had accepted be ruled by Rio de Janeiro probably both Portugal and Brazil would be the same country yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or