U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

1,673 posts, read 498,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
They came to Rio de Janeiro escaping of Napoleon and stayed over there ruling the empire for more than 20 years. When the Portuguese admnistration came back to Lisbon, part of them didn’t want back, so Pedro I the king stayed in Brazil and his brother and father back to Lisbon and Brazil became independent with this fight between them. Brazil as independent country was a monarchy for 70 years.
Fascinating indeed. I think that makes the Portuguese the only ones out of all the colonial empires to have had a capital in the New World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:32 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,995,316 times
Portuguese Empire was different then other Colonial empires. They gave sort of equal status to their colonies-treated them as their provinces only. Goa was a Portuguese colony in India. In 1757, King Joseph I thru a decree granted Portuguese citizenship to all the residents Estado da Índia Portuguesa was formed and 3 locals were selected as Member of Parliament after elections as early as 1822.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or