U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2018, 10:45 PM
 
2,010 posts, read 1,015,295 times
Reputation: 1306

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing any?

America, Canada, Brazil, China, Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, India, Vietnam, South Africa, U.A.E, Israel(Depending on your view point)

Honorable mention. Germany (Berlin is the largest city but not the largest metro area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-07-2018, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Brisbane
3,350 posts, read 5,131,666 times
Reputation: 2664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Can anyone tell me if I'm missing any?

America, Canada, Brazil, China, Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, India, Vietnam, South Africa, U.A.E, Israel(Depending on your view point)

Honorable mention. Germany (Berlin is the largest city but not the largest metro area)
Switzetland and Morocco come immediately to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
6,507 posts, read 4,600,455 times
Reputation: 4244
In alphabetical order:

Australia
Belize
Benin
Bolivia
Brazil
Cameroon
Canada
China
Côte d'Ivoire
Ecuador
Equatorial Guinea
India
Kazakhstan
Liechtenstein
Malta
Micronesia
Morocco
Myanmar
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Palau
The Philippines
San Marino
South Africa
Sudan
Sri Lanka
Switzerland
Tanzania
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 08:04 AM
 
877 posts, read 567,891 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In alphabetical order:

Australia
Belize
Benin
Bolivia
Brazil
Cameroon
Canada
China
Côte d'Ivoire
Ecuador
Equatorial Guinea
India
Kazakhstan
Liechtenstein
Malta
Micronesia
Morocco
Myanmar
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Palau
The Philippines
San Marino
South Africa
Sudan
Sri Lanka
Switzerland
Tanzania
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam

Informative list although Trinidad and Tobago technically doesn't belong...the cities seen as larger than the capital are other areas of the capital region...technically it qualifies but in reality it doesn't function that way....makes me wonder how many of these on the list function that way where districts of the capital region have more people than the formal city boundaries of the capital...I think the same thing is true of the Philippines...very good list regardless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 01:34 PM
 
2,010 posts, read 1,015,295 times
Reputation: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In alphabetical order:

Australia
Belize
Benin
Bolivia
Brazil
Cameroon
Canada
China
Côte d'Ivoire
Ecuador
Equatorial Guinea
India
Kazakhstan
Liechtenstein
Malta
Micronesia
Morocco
Myanmar
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Palau
The Philippines
San Marino
South Africa
Sudan
Sri Lanka
Switzerland
Tanzania
Trinidad and Tobago
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Nice. I did know about Pakistan and Morocco just forgot about them. I thought about Switzerland but I thought Bern was the biggest city. The rest that you added I didn't know about.

Edit: Also forgot Lagos isn't the capital of Nigeria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2018, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Taipei, Taiwan
6,507 posts, read 4,600,455 times
Reputation: 4244
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Informative list although Trinidad and Tobago technically doesn't belong...the cities seen as larger than the capital are other areas of the capital region...technically it qualifies but in reality it doesn't function that way....makes me wonder how many of these on the list function that way where districts of the capital region have more people than the formal city boundaries of the capital...I think the same thing is true of the Philippines...very good list regardless
The list is from wikipedia. There's a whole page dedicated to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rgest_city.PNG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 02:28 AM
 
Location: Cebu, Philippines
2,001 posts, read 736,213 times
Reputation: 4053
The Wikipedia population figure given for City of London is 9,401, so I guess that would qualify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 09:35 AM
 
606 posts, read 298,471 times
Reputation: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Informative list although Trinidad and Tobago technically doesn't belong...the cities seen as larger than the capital are other areas of the capital region...technically it qualifies but in reality it doesn't function that way....makes me wonder how many of these on the list function that way where districts of the capital region have more people than the formal city boundaries of the capital...I think the same thing is true of the Philippines...very good list regardless
The same for Bolívia although the ppl difference among La Paz and Santa Cruz conurban area is only 150.000 ppl more for La Paz (both having little more than 2 million ppl)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:38 AM
B87
 
Location: Norwich, UK
10,820 posts, read 6,806,753 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The Wikipedia population figure given for City of London is 9,401, so I guess that would qualify.
City of London is a district in London. London itself has a population of 8.9 million so is definitely the largest city in the UK.

Syria used to be on the list too, though Aleppo is now smaller than Damascus due to the conflict there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2018, 11:59 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,702 posts, read 16,285,309 times
Reputation: 27974
I think it is more common than not, except in very small countries.

Capital cities are often intentionally designated away from the largest city, typically the primary economic center, in order to remove or reduce the influence of that city's chiefs on the broader needs of the country as a whole.

You can see this in most of the sub-national capitals in the US states, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top