U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Auckland vs. Vancouver
Auckland 8 47.06%
Vancouver 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 01:06 PM

9,329 posts, read 10,370,336 times

Advertisements

Which of these 2 cities do you prefer:

Compare:

Economy
Crime
Lifestyle
Climate
Cuisine
Environment

I haven't been to Auckland yet but I am eager to go. It is high on my bucket list. It is a bit smaller than Metro Vancouver but it looks intriguing. Certainly the climate is better for me and the environment looks clean and safe... I am curious to hear other people's thoughts.

Last edited by deneb78; 05-09-2018 at 01:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 01:19 PM

15,062 posts, read 11,599,146 times
A tricky one - surfing vs skiing.

But in the end, it's about climate for me -Auckland it is.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:07 PM

3,215 posts, read 2,286,340 times
Both are among the favorite cities in the world that I’ve visited.

Both offer an outstanding natural environment and activities.

I’d probably rather visit Vancouver, and live in Auckland.

Vancouver offers a more dynamic urban environment.

Both are highly livable and have significant Asian and Indigenous presence (Vancouver moreso Asian, Auckland morning so indigenous)

I voted Vancouver but have always said that Auckland is probably the top place I’d live if not in the US. So, it really could go either way.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:03 PM

Seems very few people have any input in this thread. Perhaps because few people know Auckland?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:31 PM

3,215 posts, read 2,286,340 times
I’d imagine. It is pretty remote. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there though. I don’t know if the urban atmosphere is super dynamic but at same time it’s pleasant enough and very friendly. Plus, you have volcanic sites abounding in area, Islands, 2 coastlines, Rainforest.. really a pretty cool place. I agree weather could be a determining factor here along with COL.

Old 05-11-2018, 01:52 AM

797 posts, read 459,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Iíd imagine. It is pretty remote. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there though. I donít know if the urban atmosphere is super dynamic but at same time itís pleasant enough and very friendly. Plus, you have volcanic sites abounding in area, Islands, 2 coastlines, Rainforest.. really a pretty cool place. I agree weather could be a determining factor here along with COL.
As well as from a scenic perspective, it impacts of Auckland's climate as well. I've never been to any city where temperatures were so constant throughout the day, and they don't change much from summer to winter either.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:56 AM

58 posts, read 18,615 times
I prefer Vancouver

Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM

10,153 posts, read 7,140,503 times
As someone said this is tough. I haven't been to Auckland, but friends who have enjoyed it. It certainly looks lovely and being in New Zealand is no hinderance on many levels...except one. It's a bit isolated, so no " hey let's hop in the car and drive to California for a holiday ". Yes it's less than 4 hours by air to Sydney, which is great, but still not the same.

So without having actual experience in Auckland, and just going by the above, I give the slight edge to Vancouver. However if anyone wants to fly me to Auckland to see for myself, I would go happily.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
As someone said this is tough. I haven't been to Auckland, but friends who have enjoyed it. It certainly looks lovely and being in New Zealand is no hinderance on many levels...except one. It's a bit isolated, so no " hey let's hop in the car and drive to California for a holiday ". Yes it's less than 4 hours by air to Sydney, which is great, but still not the same.

So without having actual experience in Auckland, and just going by the above, I give the slight edge to Vancouver. However if anyone wants to fly me to Auckland to see for myself, I would go happily.
Good point about the isolation. Although for some, that could be a bonus. Auckland and most of the area around it seems to have a similar climate to central coastal California but wetter with rainfall spread throughout the year. I don't think most people who live there need to get away from overly gloomy and wet winters.

If you want mountains and skiing, it seems there are glaciers on Mount Ruapehu about 350km away, so good for a weekend trip. Of course, a bit further a field you have the Southern Alps on the South Island which can rival anything in BC/PNW.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:02 PM

10,153 posts, read 7,140,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Good point about the isolation. Although for some, that could be a bonus. Auckland and most of the area around it seems to have a similar climate to central coastal California but wetter with rainfall spread throughout the year. I don't think most people who live there need to get away from overly gloomy and wet winters.

If you want mountains and skiing, it seems there are glaciers on Mount Ruapehu about 350km away, so good for a weekend trip. Of course, a bit further a field you have the Southern Alps on the South Island which can rival anything in BC/PNW.
Iv'e heard a few times over the years people from New Zealand visiting BC, and people from BC visiting New Zealand, say that they have a lot in common regarding scenery. That the two feel very similar.

I also hear, and from the New Zealanders I have met, that the people are similar as well. We seem to have more of a New Zealand temperament, than an Australian one, which is more often than not, compared to an American one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or