U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities is most appealing to you, overall?
Cartagena, Colombia 6 28.57%
Cusco, Peru 1 4.76%
Havana, Cuba 2 9.52%
Quebec City, Canada 10 47.62%
Salvador de Bahia, Brazil 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 01:53 AM

14,620 posts, read 7,603,079 times

Advertisements

I loved Cusco although it is a symbol of the destruction of the Native culture as well as the best example of engineering and construction in native americas with sites such as Saksaywayman, as well as Machu Pichu and many others not too far away and the city itself. I advise everyone to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 04:12 AM

22,538 posts, read 64,550,176 times
Quebec has hockey.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:12 AM

3,367 posts, read 2,449,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I haven't been to Cusco but the town itself, although the Inca stonework in the foundations of the colonial buildings are impressive, just looks like a bigger Popayan to me. The difference being the foundations are of inca stone. This novelty is the main reason why the city is elevated to such a status. Not to detract from the great vibe of the city of course which I'm sure is enchanting - I suspect it still feels very much like a town though.

I would say even Cuenca has more elaborate architecture and Cartagena is a notch above that. Quebec city probably has the best panoramic shot with its castle but Cartagena has its entire fort and walls still intact which makes for a great contrast with neighbouring Getsemani, which is still colonial but more artsy, and Manga which has some nice Republican architecture and then of course the impressive skylines of Bocagrande and Castillogrande. Cartagena also has just as much if not more African heritage and bettter preservation of that heritage than Salvador, in its metro area African Bantu is still spoken in small communities.

I just love Cartagena. However, Cusco and Guanajuato are of course on my must sees also. Havana could be the grandest city in the Caribbean if they could only renovate those dilapidated buildings.
I can't say I disagree with any of that, although to me one question about something that would perhaps push Cusco closer is this: To me, while the elaborate architecture is certainly inspiring, just as much a part for me (if not more) of a quality old town, is the streetscapes. That is where Cusco appears to be especially strong, with having maze like streets like so, they seem to be ubiquitous esp. in the San Blas section of town https://www.google.com/maps/@-13.515...7i13312!8i6656

And Cusco probably doesn't have as much overall as Cartagena, but it does have nearby a building oft referred to as the Sistine Chapel of the Americas (Church of Andahuaylillas)

Now, I certainly think Cartagena's streets are still highly appealing and it probably even has cobblestone in places, but this is my general impression of an Old Town Cartagena street: https://www.google.com/maps/@10.4234...7i13312!8i6656 Still quite charming (and more bustling, more of a city presence besides the old town too!), but more modernized overall.

I totally want to visit both though! Does it get excessively hot in Cartagena often though (like Florida), or does it have a cooling influence from the inland mountains, at least at certain times of year? I think I'd tend to favor Cusco's climate, then again for a short stay, one can handle anything really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or