Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times

Advertisements

New York City would be the only thing resembling it, though while NYC May be as urban or more at its central nodes (Manhattan), São Paulo carries that feel over a much wider area from what I understand. It’s certainly on my list of places to see at some point, though it doesn’t seem like it has any particular aspect that is world class/must see apart from its skyline and size. I suppose that isn’t such a bad thing though as it probably preserves a more authentic feel. I wasn’t as big on Rio if I’m being honest, but I think I’d like São Paulo better because it seems to have more culture and history to it. I think I’ll probably spend 3-4 days there at some point if/when seeing some other things in the region (Foz do Iguacu, most notably)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 AM

990 posts, read 878,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Probably Miami, Florida would be my guess.
Miami = Rio de Janeiro.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:33 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 975,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Miami = Rio de Janeiro.
Agreed. Initially I said just Miami because of the similar climate. São Paulo is actually a bit more like NYC for population density.

Last edited by g500; 05-15-2018 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-15-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Agreed. Initially I said just Miami because of the similar climate. São Paulo is actually a bit more like NYC for population density.

São Paulo is much colder than Miami, the city is 1000 meters above the sea level. Its climate is more similar southern California.

The city has a monsoon-influenced humid subtropical climate (Cfa), according to the Köppen classification. In summer (January through March), the mean low temperature is about 19 °C (66 °F) and the mean high temperatures is near 28 °C (82 °F). In winter, temperatures tend to range between 8 and 21 °C (46 and 70 °F).

The record high temperature was 37.8 °C (100.0 °F) on October 17, 2014 and the lowest −3.2 °C (26.2 °F) on June 25, 1918. Temperature averages are similar to those of Sydney and Shanghai.

The Tropic of Capricorn, at about 23°27' S, passes through north of São Paulo and roughly marks the boundary between the tropical and temperate areas of South America. Because of its elevation, however, São Paulo enjoys a more temperate climate.

The city experiences four seasons. The winter is mild and sub-dry, and the summer is moderately warm and rainy. Autumn and spring are transitional seasons. Frosts occur sporadically in regions further away from the center, in some winters throughout the city. Regions further away from the center and in cities in the metropolitan area, can reach temperatures next to 0 °C (32 °F), or even lower in the winter.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:42 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Boston and Addis Ababa have almost exactly identical population densities. Just how does that make them even remotely similar? Perth, Australia, and Tijuana, Mexico, have nearly identical climates, so that must make them similar, right? In fact, Tijuana and and San Diego have exactly the same climate at any given moment. The two cities must be similar, right?

Old 05-16-2018, 06:58 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 3 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Boston and Addis Ababa have almost exactly identical population densities. Just how does that make them even remotely similar? Perth, Australia, and Tijuana, Mexico, have nearly identical climates, so that must make them similar, right? In fact, Tijuana and and San Diego have exactly the same climate at any given moment. The two cities must be similar, right?
I could have said New Orleans = São Paulo, but did not. My initial "guess" was that Miami was a good fit based on other factors. Below are some other factors to compare São Paulo to the closest U.S. city, where applicable:

Total Urban Population = New York City
Total Urban Land Area = Miami
Official Sister/Twin Cities = Miami-Dade and Chicago
Partner City = New York City
City Proper Population Density = New York City
Climate = Miami or Orlando
Elevation = Tucson or Las Vegas
Ethnicity = Unsure. My guess is that São Paulo is quite diverse.
GDP = Houston
Metro/Rail Ridership = New York City
Total Metro Airport Volume = Washington DC
Total High Rise Buildings (>35 m) = New York City
Total Skyscrapers (>150 m) = Pittsburgh

GaWC World Cities Ranking = Chicago
Stock Exchange Market Cap = No comparison
Seaport Container Volume = Seattle
Human Development Index = San Juan, PR US Territory
Crime Rate = Unsure
Tourism Ranking = No comparison. São Paulo might be overlooked in this category, maybe because nearby Rio is a major cultural center and has many destinations.
Global Financial Centers Index = Washington DC
# of Millionaires = Unsure
# of Billionaires = Dallas
Road/Grid Layout = Boston
Settlement Date = San Juan
Hosted Olympics = Never hosted. Many US Cities have never hosted the Olypmics, including New York City and Miami.
World Cup = Hosted by Brazil multiple times, including São Paulo. Hosted by the US in 1994, including East Rutherford (NYC area), and others.

As you can see, there is no across-the-board correlation between São Paulo and any U.S. city. However, I would conclude that it would seems like São Paulo is a mix-hybrid of elements of Miami, New York City, and San Juan. Although San Juan is located in Puerto Rico and therefore only within a US Territory.

Last edited by g500; 05-16-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 07:52 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
East St. Louis..
Bad Joke

Old 05-17-2018, 05:29 AM

Quote:
I could have said New Orleans = São Paulo, but did not. My initial "guess" was that Miami was a good fit based on other factors. Below are some other factors to compare São Paulo to the closest U.S. city, where applicable:

Total Urban Population = New York City
Total Urban Land Area = Miami
Official Sister/Twin Cities = Miami-Dade and Chicago
Partner City = New York City
City Proper Population Density = New York City
Climate = Miami or Orlando
Elevation = Tucson or Las Vegas
Ethnicity = Unsure. My guess is that São Paulo is quite diverse.
GDP = Houston
Metro/Rail Ridership = New York City
Total Metro Airport Volume = Washington DC
Total High Rise Buildings (>35 m) = New York City
Total Skyscrapers (>150 m) = Pittsburgh

GaWC World Cities Ranking = Chicago
Stock Exchange Market Cap = No comparison
Seaport Container Volume = Seattle
Human Development Index = San Juan, PR US Territory
Crime Rate = Unsure
Tourism Ranking = No comparison. São Paulo might be overlooked in this category, maybe because nearby Rio is a major cultural center and has many destinations.
Global Financial Centers Index = Washington DC
# of Millionaires = Unsure
# of Billionaires = Dallas
Road/Grid Layout = Boston
Settlement Date = San Juan
Hosted Olympics = Never hosted. Many US Cities have never hosted the Olypmics, including New York City and Miami.
World Cup = Hosted by Brazil multiple times, including São Paulo. Hosted by the US in 1994, including East Rutherford (NYC area), and others.

As you can see, there is no across-the-board correlation between São Paulo and any U.S. city. However, I would conclude that it would seems like São Paulo is a mix-hybrid of elements of Miami, New York City, and San Juan. Although San Juan is located in Puerto Rico and therefore only within a US Territory.
Very interesting your comparation!

I just would add that São Paulo is the economical and financial center of Brazil (and Latin America with relevance in the world) is where the big companies and banks have their headquarters and the stock exchange is. It is a international and multcultural city receiving more tourists than Rio de Jainero (business tourists) so the comparation with NYC is inevitable.
If Brazil becomes a rich country São Paulo will have much closer status of NYC.

In climate although São Paulo is in the same latitude in the Globe than Miami how São Paulo is far from the coast and with almost 1000 meters of elevation what makes the climate pretty different.

Old 05-17-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Very interesting your comparation!

I just would add that São Paulo is the economical and financial center of Brazil (and Latin America with relevance in the world) is where the big companies and banks have their headquarters and the stock exchange is. It is a international and multcultural city receiving more tourists than Rio de Jainero (business tourists) so the comparation with NYC is inevitable.
If Brazil becomes a rich country São Paulo will have much closer status of NYC.

In climate although São Paulo is in the same latitude in the Globe than Miami how São Paulo is far from the coast and with almost 1000 meters of elevation what makes the climate pretty different.
Thank you! Perhaps the climate of São Paulo is more like Atlanta then? Does São Paulo ever get ice or snow?

I agree that the comparisons with NYC, Miami, and San Jaun are the most valid. Now again, some will say that San Juan is technically not part of a US state, but that is another discussion.

São Paulo, without any doubt, is the most powerful economic, financial, and population center in Brazil, and very likely perhaps in all of South America.

Last edited by g500; 05-17-2018 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-17-2018, 07:08 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
LA would be the closest. Both polycentric, newer mega-metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World