U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2018, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
20,296 posts, read 25,111,577 times
Reputation: 7967

Advertisements

Being an Anglosphere country, it's not realistic to expect the cultural consumption of Australia to be nearly exclusively or even primarily domestic.


That said, for a country of less than 25 million people, viewed from Canada, Australia has a very robust homegrown popular culture in terms of its buy-in from its domestic market, as well as its worldwide impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2018, 04:04 PM
 
1,955 posts, read 648,932 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
There is Kangaroo and Joey from Winnie the Pooh are aussie.
Steve Irwin
Muriels Wedding movie. Lion movie. Searching for Nemo the fish.
All the Mingoues doing the locamotion
All the Hemsworths.
Tasmanian devil trying to get Why E, Cayotee.
Russel Crowe rock band.
The Red Rock of Sydney. Big famous one people hike
The Bridge of Sydney.
The Opera of Sydney.
James Bond beach called Bondi Beach.
Thunder from Down Under which is a band I think females like.
There is haka
LOTR scenery
LOTR was shot in New Zealand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:29 PM
 
1,213 posts, read 820,924 times
Reputation: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wonderful song, but they failed to go any further...

But, it does beg the question - what is pop-culture? Here we have an Australian band channeling Merseybeat and The Beatles, whom were, inspired by American Rock'n'Roll (but not exclusively of course because there was also a huge precedent already set in the UK by a huge amount of homegrown talent and earlier forms) - so what IS an Australian band? Is there a typical Australian sound in rock music (let's ignore the didgeredoo ffs)?

Perhaps not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2018, 07:00 PM
 
875 posts, read 507,123 times
Reputation: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Wonderful song, but they failed to go any further...

But, it does beg the question - what is pop-culture? Here we have an Australian band channeling Merseybeat and The Beatles, whom were, inspired by American Rock'n'Roll (but not exclusively of course because there was also a huge precedent already set in the UK by a huge amount of homegrown talent and earlier forms) - so what IS an Australian band? Is there a typical Australian sound in rock music (let's ignore the didgeredoo ffs)?

Perhaps not.
Australian music is as diverse as the country itself - a melting pot - so I wouldn’t say there is a distinctly Australian style or sound.

But some groups are pretty unique in their own individual way, ‘Hunters and Collectors’ or ‘Midnight Oil’ from the 80s as examples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2018, 04:21 PM
 
1,955 posts, read 648,932 times
Reputation: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Australian music is as diverse as the country itself - a melting pot - so I wouldn’t say there is a distinctly Australian style or sound.

But some groups are pretty unique in their own individual way, ‘Hunters and Collectors’ or ‘Midnight Oil’ from the 80s as examples.
Yes, Midnight Oil became known for tackling Australian issues in pop culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2018, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
10,846 posts, read 7,522,157 times
Reputation: 5991
There was a slew of great Australian films that came out in the 1980's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2018, 01:17 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,545 posts, read 16,091,820 times
Reputation: 27446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The only really famous Australian cultural export I can think of is Mad Max,
Ummm, hello? Yahoo Serious ring any bells?

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
There are a number of Aussie artists who have received worldwide recognition. Check out INXS, Bee Gees or Midnight Oil.
In my opinion, while INXS and Midnight Oil were huge in the US, Men At Work is the real standout Aussie pop band.

When a Men at Work song comes on the radio, to this day, everyone peps up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2018, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,132 posts, read 3,771,960 times
Reputation: 2822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

:-)


Men At Work is the real standout Aussie pop band.

When a Men at Work song comes on the radio, to this day, everyone peps up.
Men at work is hands down the best Aussie group of all time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2018, 01:21 PM
 
Location: USA
11,831 posts, read 6,814,359 times
Reputation: 8378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Yes, Midnight Oil became known for tackling Australian issues in pop culture.
Wasn't the lead singer a politician? I liked their music. They had consistently good songs, and albums.

I also liked The Church a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6jhpaX7fNQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top