U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:05 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,234,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
What would they be trading, cocaine and bananas?
No the consumers of those products are in other countries where for some reason they have a dependency on blowing their neurons away to be happy and function and I'm talking about Doctors, Chefs, Lawyers, etc. Colombia doesn't have a major consumption problem. Cocaine isn't even hardly seen in Colombia by the average person, it's just not a thing.

UN study: Countries with the highest cocaine use:

1. Albania
2. Scotland
3. United States
4. England and Wales
5. Spain
6. Australia
7. Uruguay
8. Chile
9. Netherlands
10. Ireland
11. Canada
12. Aruba
13. Bermuda
14. Ghana
15. Italy
16. France
17. Israel
18. Iceland
19. Costa Rica
20. Luxembourg
Countries with highest cocaine use revealed

Colombia is a leader in medicine (top 25 country with best health system in the world according to the World Health Organisation) and in Aviation (First country to have a commercial airline in the western hemisphere, yes, even before the US, and second in the world).

Also a rising tech star and higher education provider in the region...
Colombia is becoming Latin America's brightest star - Miami Herald

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 05-27-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 05:09 PM

2,099 posts, read 775,042 times
How, exactly, do we know how much cocaine is used in each country? What is the metric which cannot be masked by some other variable?
Quote:
This information was gathered through looking at people between the ages of fifteen to sixty-four – from among the general population of a country – before calculating the percentage.
Where did they find the people to "look at" to see if they were cocaine users? I don't know about this news source, but this particular article is laughable journalism. Click on the link and go to the News tab, for an example of their usual tabloid coverage.

What is the methodology for finding a statistically random sample that will be applicable in both Iceland and Ghana, to be measured for criminal behavior?

By the way, I was once at a casual school function in rural Bolivia, and in a chat with several teachers and other school people. I asked which Latin American country has the highest level of primary and secondary education. Practically in unison, they all said Colombia.

Last edited by cebuan; 05-27-2018 at 05:22 PM..

Old 05-27-2018, 05:19 PM

4,275 posts, read 3,912,265 times
The only thing that surprised me about the list is that the US isn't at the very top.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:59 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,234,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
What is the methodology for finding a statistically random sample that will be applicable in both Iceland and Ghana, to be measured for criminal behavior?
It's a report by the UN, they do it every year I believe.
PDF report: https://www.unodc.org/wdr2017/field/...ch_version.pdf

Site: World Drug Report 2017: 29.5 million people globally suffer from drug use disorders, opioids the most harmful

However, as I've said before cocaine is something hardly consumed or seen in Colombia by the average person compared to countries that point the finger and crave it. Many sources including national ones have shown this. The main drug will be bazuco or glue sniffing, usually by homeless people to forget reality or reduce hunger pangs.

When I worked in the hospitality industry in the UK in my early 20's, everyone was doing cocaine, I saw a lot of it around the clubs in New York also.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 PM

80 posts, read 27,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Yesterday Colombia became the 37th nation to be admitted to the OECD and NATO's first 'global partner' in the hemisphere. All of this while the country heads to the polls tomorrow to elect its president, of whom one of the leading candidates in the polls is a staunch Chavez supporter.

"Colombia has been invited to join the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) despite serious objections from the US about its commitment to protect copyright and intellectual property.
President Juan Manuel Santos said he received a phone call from OECD headquarters in Paris on Friday morning confirming the move, which will make Colombia the 37th OECD member and the third in Latin America alongside Mexico and Chile.

Source: Colombia invited to join OECD despite some US objections - Financial Times

---

"Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos announced Friday that his country will formally become NATO’s first Latin American “global partner,” beginning next week.
In a televised address from the presidential Narino Palace and on Twitter, Santos said: “We will formalize in Brussels next week — and this is very important — the entry of Colombia into NATO in the category of global partner. We will be the only country in Latin America with this privilege.”
Areas of cooperation include cybersecurity, maritime security, terrorism and its links to organized crime, and building the capacities and capabilities of the Colombian armed forces, according to a statement posted on NATO’s website.
"

Source: Colombia Becomes NATO’s First Latin American Global Partner

FYI: With a proud naval & military history, Colombia was the only country in South America to combat the Nazis and strike a blow to a German Submarine. Colombia's armed forces were the only Latin American forces to aid the liberation of S.Korea in the Korean war and is a strong security aid & exporter to United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Afghanistan.

congratulations Colombia, now Colombia is e legitimate target for Russian nuclear missiles. what is going to be colombia's role in NATO? provide soldiers for future Americas wars. Colombia is opening the door for wars and chaos in Latin America. well you couldn't expect less from one of usa's vassal states.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:45 AM

614 posts, read 306,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selen View Post
Why don’t south and central american countries form an organization like EU?
There is the Mercosur (common market of the south)

Old 05-28-2018, 07:59 AM

16,129 posts, read 21,331,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
The only thing that surprised me about the list is that the US isn't at the very top.
Cocaine has stiff competition with other hard drugs in the US

Old 05-28-2018, 08:05 AM

401 posts, read 158,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
There is the Mercosur (common market of the south)
Ok thanks. Central American countries don’t seem to be members though right?

Old 05-28-2018, 08:17 AM

11,254 posts, read 5,720,717 times
I believe some of the countries already have a Free Trade Agreement, such as the Pacific Alliance. The Pacific Alliance includes some of the fastest growing economies in the region

Old 05-28-2018, 08:20 AM

11,254 posts, read 5,720,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
What would they be trading, cocaine and bananas?
Yup, all South American economies operate out of mud huts in the middle of the jungle. Sharp observation there. You sure are witty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World