U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2018, 12:11 AM
 
305 posts, read 410,829 times
Reputation: 482

Advertisements

Right now, there are many countries around this tier, Cuba, Guatemala, the Dominican Republic. But one to watch is Panama. While small, is really becoming a well-developed country (per capita income is higher than, and Panama City is probably the most important single city outside of the "big three" as a financial and trade hub. With its banking and business activity, it has a very impressive skyline and growing urban infrastructure. It is also the most culturally diverse city in Central America. It could very well be the Singapore or Dubai of its region in a decade, especially if nearby Colombia keeps growing. Panama's average income is around $25,000 a year, half of that in wealthy nations, but well over most other Central American or Caribbean countries. But this income is very unequal between Panama City and the Canal area on one hand, and the outer parts of the country, which are still very poor.

Costa Rica also does well, but is not booming like Panama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2018, 12:49 AM
 
2,090 posts, read 972,898 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexico76 View Post
Right now, there are many countries around this tier, Cuba, Guatemala, the Dominican Republic. But one to watch is Panama. While small, is really becoming a well-developed country (per capita income is higher than, and Panama City is probably the most important single city outside of the "big three" as a financial and trade hub. With its banking and business activity, it has a very impressive skyline and growing urban infrastructure. It is also the most culturally diverse city in Central America. It could very well be the Singapore or Dubai of its region in a decade, especially if nearby Colombia keeps growing. Panama's average income is around $25,000 a year, half of that in wealthy nations, but well over most other Central American or Caribbean countries. But this income is very unequal between Panama City and the Canal area on one hand, and the outer parts of the country, which are still very poor.

Costa Rica also does well, but is not booming like Panama.
Yea, actually the Dominican Republic and Panama have the most promising economic growth in recent years and in the coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 09:38 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
31 posts, read 4,757 times
Reputation: 32
Quebec
Cuba
Aruba
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2018, 09:43 PM
 
Location: NYntarctica
11,129 posts, read 5,328,588 times
Reputation: 4023
Probably Cuba. A lot of potential hidden in that country, if they can uncover it. Amazing culture, cuisine, and architecture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 10:32 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,319 posts, read 15,764,973 times
Reputation: 26694
Puerto Rico Not a country

Quebec Not a country

Greenland Not a country


In terms of displays of geographical knowledge, this thread is very disappointing.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Broward County, FL
16,206 posts, read 7,226,636 times
Reputation: 3511
Had no idea Quebec was a country. This is why the world laughs at us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 12:20 PM
 
2,090 posts, read 972,898 times
Reputation: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Puerto Rico Not a country

Quebec Not a country

Greenland Not a country


In terms of displays of geographical knowledge, this thread is very disappointing.


.
Notice I didn’t state “sovereign state” in the heading. There is a difference... England, Wales, Scotland are countries but not sovereign states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Seattle WA, USA
3,234 posts, read 1,524,223 times
Reputation: 1950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Notice I didn’t state “sovereign state” in the heading. There is a difference... England, Wales, Scotland are countries but not sovereign states.
If you are going to go along those lines then all the states in the US will need to be looked at as separate unique countries, since state and country are pretty much synonyms of one another.

State: a nation or territory considered as an organized political community under one government.
"Germany, Italy, and other European states"

Country: a nation with its own government, occupying a particular territory.
"the country's increasingly precarious economic position"

So the United "States" of America can be interpreted as the United "Countries" of America, which is what it was originally envisioned as. The thirteen colonies were supposed to be separate from one another only forming a loose coalition with one another similar to the EU or the Commonwealth of Nations, In fact the EU is probably more united as a single entity than the US was in it's early days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Kansas/China
4,133 posts, read 2,042,164 times
Reputation: 2890
Cuba is #4, and I don't really think its close. They don't seem very influential simply because they have isolated themselves, but their GDP is equal to Panama and the Dominican Republic combined.

If we are talking about just global influence regardless of economy, then possibly Panama. The Panama Canal has a huge global influence. And Panama City is a fairly influential Financial Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2018, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Kansas/China
4,133 posts, read 2,042,164 times
Reputation: 2890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Notice I didn’t state “sovereign state” in the heading. There is a difference... England, Wales, Scotland are countries but not sovereign states.
Neither Quebec nor Puerto Rico are countries. Quebec is a province with the same type of government that every other Canadian province has. Puerto Rico is a US territory and is no more of a country then Guam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top