Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 12:14 AM

5,342 posts, read 3,819,066 times

Advertisements

Panama. We need a poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 02:16 AM

2,970 posts, read 1,946,738 times
The 9 biggest economies in North America are :
Canada, Costa Rica, Cuba, the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico, and the United States

Old 06-08-2018, 02:24 AM

89 posts, read 74,862 times
Cuba.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 AM

453 posts, read 313,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
The question from the OP is which country is 4th now, not in 30 years.

From 2013 to 2015 the DR gdp went from $61 billion to $68 billion. Cuba went from $77 billion to $87 billion. Panama is $56 billion.
Stop using Wikipedia as a source. According to the world bank, the CIA and the IMF, DR is the largest economy in the Caribbean and Central America and the ninth in Latin america. and even if DR has a largest economy I dont think it beats Panama in importance....Cuba is irrelevant.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:09 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Quebec. it is a nation within a nation.
Then I'll say California

Old 06-08-2018, 09:11 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,861,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upthere22 View Post
Stop using Wikipedia as a source. According to the world bank, the CIA and the IMF, DR is the largest economy in the Caribbean and Central America and the ninth in Latin america.
Actually, that was from google. But you’re right it doesn’t seem accurate. According to the CIA DR is $177 billion and Cuba is $133 billion. Guatemala is the second largest economy in the region, which surprised me. Cuba is third.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:41 AM

1,032 posts, read 1,085,271 times
Prominent is the wrong word as there is such a massive dropoff from 3rd to 4th (who is 2nd and 3rd BTW? Where do Mexico and Canada rank in regards to each other) that 4th place doesn't have nearly the influence that word prominent implies...remember these countries tend to follow their old colonial ties so English speaking Caribbean islands for example, look to the Anglo world and are not influenced by Cuba and the DR in the way that outsiders would think by looking at GDP rankings...on the other hand, French Haiti is definitely influenced by the DR...I would imagine CA countries are just as influenced by massive Mexico as they are by each other so I don't think a clear leader stands out although Panama definitely is more interconnected with global business...if I had to pick I would say the DR because Cuba has been so marginalized but there really is no solid choice there

Old 06-08-2018, 09:55 AM

453 posts, read 313,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
Prominent is the wrong word as there is such a massive dropoff from 3rd to 4th (who is 2nd and 3rd BTW? Where do Mexico and Canada rank in regards to each other) that 4th place doesn't have nearly the influence that word prominent implies...remember these countries tend to follow their old colonial ties so English speaking Caribbean islands for example, look to the Anglo world and are not influenced by Cuba and the DR in the way that outsiders would think by looking at GDP rankings...on the other hand, French Haiti is definitely influenced by the DR...I would imagine CA countries are just as influenced by massive Mexico as they are by each other so I don't think a clear leader stands out although Panama definitely is more interconnected with global business...if I had to pick I would say the DR because Cuba has been so marginalized but there really is no solid choice there
Exactly, GDP is not the best measure to use to calculate the importance of a country or its relevancy in global affairs. GDP does matter but how integrated that economy is to the global economy is also as important.
how many corporations have regional headquarters in Havana vs Panama city? what airline manages a HUB from Havana vs panama? who has better air connection Cuba or DR? Who receives more tourist?

Panama, Santo Domingo, San Juan and Managua are all Beta- cities or "cities that link moderate economic regions to the world economy". Havana is not even in the list because "lack of sufficiency".

Those are the questions to be asked, not the cold war propaganda regurgitated on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World