U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Florida 17 34.00%
Japan 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 12:49 PM

6,496 posts, read 4,527,215 times

Advertisements

What a random comparison.

Japan, easily. It's not even remotely close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 PM

4,238 posts, read 1,399,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What a random comparison.

Japan, easily. It's not even remotely close.
Disneyworld is better in Florida.

Also it has a younger population and brighter future.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:14 PM

317 posts, read 205,085 times
I voted Florida because I don't speak Japanese. But Japan is clearly the more important and obvious winner.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:39 PM

6,496 posts, read 4,527,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I hate Disneyworld. Actually, no. I detest Disneyworld.

Quote:
Until someone blows your head off with a bullet at school or at a nightclub.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
I hate Disneyworld. Actually, no. I detest Disneyworld.

Until someone blows your head off with a bullet at school or at a nightclub.
1. Disagree

2. Doesnít matter crime is going down; also look at Floridaís population growth compared to Japan.

The former is filled with hot young beach girls, itís actually awesome. Sadly Japan has an elder problem.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:42 PM

4,333 posts, read 2,164,381 times
Quote:
1. Disagree

2. Doesnít matter crime is going down; also look at Floridaís population growth compared to Japan.

The former is filled with hot young beach girls, itís actually awesome. Sadly Japan has an elder problem.
Crime isn't a serious issue in either place, unless one lives in the crappiest places, and then crime could be an issue in either place.

Both have hot girls. Florida has the highest median age in the US at 42 years. Japan is 46. Florida has the advantage of being attached to a country with 300 million more people and is constantly getting migration which is contributing to its growth. Japan doesn't have access to all those people, unless it opens up it immigration.

Both are good places to live. I'd probably choose Florida, but that doesn't mean I don't love Japan.

Now, if the hypothetical question said I could never leave either Florida or Japan, I would chose Japan.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:17 PM

3,369 posts, read 8,370,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Crime isn't a serious issue in either place, unless one lives in the crappiest places, and then crime could be an issue in either place.

Both have hot girls. Florida has the highest median age in the US at 42 years. Japan is 46. Florida has the advantage of being attached to a country with 300 million more people and is constantly getting migration which is contributing to its growth. Japan doesn't have access to all those people, unless it opens up it immigration.

Both are good places to live. I'd probably choose Florida, but that doesn't mean I don't love Japan.

Now, if the hypothetical question said I could never leave either Florida or Japan, I would chose Japan.
That's one thing I forgot to mention, both have an elder population. Of course Florida is the retirement state so that is why. Both do have hot girls. They dress in similar styles, I guess since the climates are similar. They are also easy to hook up with so they are both havens for single guys.

One other similarity I noticed is the horizontal traffic signals ��. Most places in the States have the vertical configuration.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:33 AM

696 posts, read 1,091,387 times
Quote:

Most fans would disagree. Tokyo DisneySea is consistently ranked the best Disney park in the world.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMarvin View Post
Most fans would disagree. Tokyo DisneySea is consistently ranked the best Disney park in the world.
true but the magic kingdom is better than tokyo's counterpart. Also they have epcot.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:00 AM

4,713 posts, read 2,967,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
One other similarity I noticed is the horizontal traffic signals ��. Most places in the States have the vertical configuration.

When I lived in Florida in the 1980s, the traffic signals were vertical. Not sure when they changed. I would assume that they "rotated" them so that they could lie flush against the horizontal pole mast, and thus be less likely to blow down in a hurricane. But that's only a guess.

As to which one I'd rather live, that's a toughie. I've never been to Japan, but from what I've heard of its cleanliness, safety, modernity, culture of respect and courtesy, transportation infrastructure, natural beauty, and seasonal variation, I'd pick that country over Florida in a heartbeat. However, there's the little problem of the language barrier. Once I'd exhausted my Japanese vocabulary of konnichiwa ("hello") and doumo arigatou ("thank you") and sayonara ("goodbye") and bonzai (a type of desperate last-ditch military attack) and seppuku ("ritual suicide"; not sure when I'd have a use for that one), I wouldn't be able to get too far. I've also grown accustomed to Western food, and while there are some Japanese dishes that I like (or at least don't hate), there aren't many.

But even if I somehow managed to pick up the language and acquire a taste for the food, there's still this issue: I'm not Japanese. And from what I've heard, foreigners may be welcomed as visitors, but they're never really incorporated into the society if they live there. And being a perpetual outsider would grow tiresome after awhile.

Now, if someone could transplant all the nice features of Japan to someplace in America, I'd start packing this very minute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or