U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Florida 17 34.00%
Japan 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 03:24 PM

3,370 posts, read 8,372,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
When I lived in Florida in the 1980s, the traffic signals were vertical. Not sure when they changed. I would assume that they "rotated" them so that they could lie flush against the horizontal pole mast, and thus be less likely to blow down in a hurricane. But that's only a guess.

As to which one I'd rather live, that's a toughie. I've never been to Japan, but from what I've heard of its cleanliness, safety, modernity, culture of respect and courtesy, transportation infrastructure, natural beauty, and seasonal variation, I'd pick that country over Florida in a heartbeat. However, there's the little problem of the language barrier. Once I'd exhausted my Japanese vocabulary of konnichiwa ("hello") and doumo arigatou ("thank you") and sayonara ("goodbye") and bonzai (a type of desperate last-ditch military attack) and seppuku ("ritual suicide"; not sure when I'd have a use for that one), I wouldn't be able to get too far. I've also grown accustomed to Western food, and while there are some Japanese dishes that I like (or at least don't hate), there aren't many.

But even if I somehow managed to pick up the language and acquire a taste for the food, there's still this issue: I'm not Japanese. And from what I've heard, foreigners may be welcomed as visitors, but they're never really incorporated into the society if they live there. And being a perpetual outsider would grow tiresome after awhile.

Now, if someone could transplant all the nice features of Japan to someplace in America, I'd start packing this very minute!
If only Florida had mountains in the inland areas, and Jacksonville had Atlanta's climate (seasons), variety of neighborhoods, and transportation system (or better), than I would stay in JAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 PM

229 posts, read 105,038 times
Wtf. Japan's weather is mostly a 4-seasons temperate weather, its mountainous and northern parts are amongst the snowiest places on earth.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,324,942 times
Japan ... Tokyo - hands down.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:07 PM

4,674 posts, read 7,316,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Florida and Japan are said to look very similar, with their climates, Infrastructure (Brightline train, toll roads), multiple major cities, technology, etc.
Whomever says that has never been to Florida or Japan or to both!

Quote:
So which would you prefer to live?
I think Japanese cities are more exciting than Floridian cities, that is if we can call Florida cities as 'cities.' They are really gigantic suburbs with a spec resembling something like an actual city. In the mean time, Japanese cities are real cities.

I like cities, so most likely would choose Japan over Florida. In reality, this isn't even an option for me. I will never live in Japan, so in reality there's a greater likelihood I would live in Florida at some point vs in Japan.

Old 06-18-2018, 10:55 AM

89 posts, read 16,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Even if someone gives me free condo in Monaco or Dubai I'd still pick Japan, let alone vs America...
Japan over Monaco?

Old 06-18-2018, 11:34 AM

3,367 posts, read 2,449,892 times
I feel like being unpatriotic by saying this, but for both a short term visit, or if I was forced to be stuck in both long term probably Japan.

It just has
-More exciting cities
-More history
-More significant art and cultural tradition and venues
-More varied and impressive natural landscapes
-More safety
-More public health and longer life expectancy, and a focus on that and exercise
-More options for economic opportunity (than FL, as with many of these, if it was US as a whole, it might be different story)
-Preferred climates, and much more varied ones
Among other factors.

Again, as I mentioned, it's an odd poll because it's an entire country, vs. a single state, let alone a cluster of states, not a fair comparison.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:33 PM

1,623 posts, read 981,804 times
Wtf? Tokyo metro area is nearly twice the population of all of Florida. You're comparing an entire country to a state. Minus my opinions, the comparison is really strange and offbase. Even in Japan, the -shu prefix differentiates states (Florida-shu, New York-shu, etc.).

I voted Japan as even if it was just Okinawa (much better comparison), I'd take it over sleepy American Florida. I might even be moving there in April! We'll see come MEXT results next month.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 PM

3,370 posts, read 8,372,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Wtf? Tokyo metro area is nearly twice the population of all of Florida. You're comparing an entire country to a state. Minus my opinions, the comparison is really strange and offbase. Even in Japan, the -shu prefix differentiates states (Florida-shu, New York-shu, etc.).

I voted Japan as even if it was just Okinawa (much better comparison), I'd take it over sleepy American Florida. I might even be moving there in April! We'll see come MEXT results next month.
Are you in the military? I'm guessing because you mentioned results and the 9 month time-line.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:49 PM

246 posts, read 65,350 times
I think Florida is very, VERY different from Japan. And although Japan does have multiple large cities, Tokyo is by far the largest urban area, so that it's legitimate to call Japan a monocentric nation.

Old 06-21-2018, 02:45 PM

1,623 posts, read 981,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Are you in the military? I'm guessing because you mentioned results and the 9 month time-line.
No military. I'm applying for a Masters in Computer Science - Machine Learning/Artificial Intelligence @ Kyoto, Tohoku, or Tokyo Universities. The process is just grueling. I'm awaiting on the results of a panel interview and I honestly think I didn't do good. We'll see come next month though.

MEXT itself is a scholarship that pays for the roundtrip fare, for all schooling (fees, tuition, language schools, etc), and around $1350-1400 roughly in equivalent USD per month in stipend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or