U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:53 PM

1,991 posts, read 520,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
It depends on what the benchmark is. For example, in Saudi Arabia, allowing women to drive is a liberal idea. Therefore, since women are allowed to drive mostly everywhere, then the world is a liberal place. Then, there are countries like the Philippines where abortion and divorce are both illegal, but a transsexual can be elected for public office and women have been elected presidents several times now.
It goes more than that. We could be reverse about allowing guys to be fathers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 12:54 PM

15,846 posts, read 12,392,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
How would you know this though. Do you have some binding and objective standard by which to compare values and ethics so that you might conclude, for example, that certain traditional family values are superior or inferior to your own?
I don't base my view on statistical outcomes, but the notion that individuals choose what is right for them.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:14 PM

1,203 posts, read 711,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't base my view on statistical outcomes, but the notion that individuals choose what is right for them.
Have you ever been morally outraged at a culture different to yours, doing something that is part of their tradition.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Have you ever been morally outraged at a culture different to yours, doing something that is part of their tradition.
Yes, but only when that tradition forces an individual to do something hey don't believe in.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, but only when that tradition forces an individual to do something hey don't believe in.
If you think individuals have the right to choose what is right and wrong for themselves, then surely you'd have no justification to be outraged by another culture when they do something that is acceptable according to their tradition.

Even if that means forcing people to do something they don't believe in.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
If you think individuals have the right to choose what is right and wrong for them, then surely you'd have no justification to be outraged by another culture when they do something that is morally acceptable according to their own tradition.
It's when a culture decides what is right for all people, that I have a problem.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It's when a culture decides what is right for all people, that I have a problem.
Culture simply refers to the prevailing trends, attitudes, ethics and values of a population. It doesn't necessarily imply ethics and values imposed by fiat. Let's consider cultures in which people choose for themselves to be part of those prevailing values.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Culture simply refers to the prevailing trends, attitudes, ethics and values of a population. It doesn't necessarily imply ethics and values imposed by fiat. Let's consider cultures in which people choose for themselves to be part of those prevailing values.
I was just using culture, in response to your question

If people choose for themselves, that's fine, but what if they can't?

Old 06-04-2018, 01:47 PM

5,981 posts, read 5,768,773 times
The world as a whole, without cultural boundaries into account, would you say is conservative or liberal?

It is neither. It is just careless. Taking into consideration a population of 7.6 billion people that is increasing daily, and the mindless destruction being wreaked on earth during humanity's march to self-imposed extinction, I would say that conservatism and liberalism are irrelevant and ridiculous. I would say that the world as a whole, speaking of humanity only, is extremely selfish and careless in a way that overwhelms and makes light of either conservatism or liberalism regardless of all cultural boundaries. When a species is blindly working towards causing its own extinction and the extinction of all other living things on earth why would anybody care about if that species is conservative or liberal about it?

Old 06-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I was just using culture, in response to your question

If people choose for themselves, that's fine, but what if they can't?
Why would the autocratic powers that dictate those rules not be entitled to their own right to choose what is right and wrong.

Perhaps in their eyes they are doing what is right in the best interests of the public.

Last edited by Hightower72; 06-04-2018 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: rollback edits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or