U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2018, 09:08 AM
 
5,503 posts, read 3,357,853 times
Reputation: 13932

Advertisements

You know, there's something a little odd about your description of your job. You work at a desk for 8 hours a day (full-time) but don't make enough to live on. But you say your work could easily be done in 4 hours. So you're really only working as much as you would on a part-time job, it's just taking more of your time.

I would say you need to quit this job and find another where you can work harder, use your time more productively, and be a more valuable employee; therefore making more money (and getting more vacation time). But the way you're dreaming about the European Lifestyle, it kind of sounds like you don't really want to work more or harder, or even as much as you are. You want to work just a little and spend most of your time enjoying long lunches and overseas vacations and other perks.

Let me tell you, I have relatives in Europe (Germany and the Netherlands), and they work very hard. In the first place, if you aren't willing to work hard and offer valuable skills, no place in Europe will want you. You can't just "relocate" and start cashing in. Secondly, even native-born Europeans aren't exactly living a luxurious life if they don't have skills and good jobs, which they work hard at.

You are not stuck where you are, but you aren't going to be able to snap your fingers and start living a life of ease in another country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2018, 09:24 PM
 
56 posts, read 20,355 times
Reputation: 190
I agree with what saibot wrote. I have friends and relatives in the UK, Italy and Germany. I won’t go into details, but the level of work-related stress they deal with is totally comparable to what we have in the US.

Firstly, working as a professional or an entrepreneur in Europe requires the same skills you’d need here, and entails paying about 50% of your income in taxes — more if you are very successful. Secondly, except in the UK and Ireland, and especially if you want to be employed by someone else, you’ll need to learn the local language effectively, not just for fun, mispronouncing every other word. Finally, even in English speaking countries you’ll meet plenty of people who dislike American accents and want to hear them in movies only or from tourists who don’t go there to compete for local jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 PM
 
4,582 posts, read 5,811,642 times
Reputation: 5666
Your rose colored glasses are filtering out the fact that the average European is broke, still lives at home with their parents in a shoe box. And they have no reason to expect things to get better.

Never imagine Europe is better until you've been there. It's not all cafes and baguettes. The daily grind is real in all 4 corners of the globe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM
 
2,093 posts, read 1,132,016 times
Reputation: 1371
The geography is what it is. The USA is physically distant from most of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 02:08 PM
 
7 posts, read 3,083 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Your rose colored glasses are filtering out the fact that the average European is broke, still lives at home with their parents in a shoe box. And they have no reason to expect things to get better.

Never imagine Europe is better until you've been there. It's not all cafes and baguettes. The daily grind is real in all 4 corners of the globe.
Of course life can be hard anywhere, but it's a known fact that Europe has a better work-life balance than the United States, and that's what I'm getting at. I can't see myself working more than 40 hours a week, with one week of vacation, and making barely enough money to get by for the rest of my life. That is no kind of future for me, personally. I'm aware enough of what it's like in Europe, and to accuse me of thinking it's "all cafes and baguettes" is seriously inaccurate. But if you are an American, then I understand why you said that. I think most Americans think the European way of life is "lazy" just because they can take 4 week vacations and work less hours per year than the USA. I believe life is to be enjoyed and I don't want to spend my life working it away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
6,284 posts, read 1,740,207 times
Reputation: 2055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Life in America is what you make of it through your own choices.
that is not true.

Your future is controlled by the capitalist controllers. Do you think the homeless in San francisco are free to succeed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Australia
293 posts, read 101,514 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Your rose colored glasses are filtering out the fact that the average European is broke, still lives at home with their parents in a shoe box. And they have no reason to expect things to get better.

Never imagine Europe is better until you've been there. It's not all cafes and baguettes. The daily grind is real in all 4 corners of the globe.
Have you been there? Surely you realise that Europe is made up of many different countries and cultures. There is not much similarity between say Norway and Portugal, between Denmark and Greece.

Whether you like to acknowledge it or not, Americans often work longer hours and especially have less holidays than virtually all the developed world.

Some Europeans stay home with their parents from necessity and for others it is because their culture is more enmeshed. Many Australians also stay home with their parents longer, our kids usually live at home while they are university. It is not because our country is broke. Families often enjoy being together and derive support from each other. I am sure it is the same in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 PM
 
4,582 posts, read 5,811,642 times
Reputation: 5666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Have you been there? Surely you realise that Europe is made up of many different countries and cultures. There is not much similarity between say Norway and Portugal, between Denmark and Greece.

Whether you like to acknowledge it or not, Americans often work longer hours and especially have less holidays than virtually all the developed world.

Some Europeans stay home with their parents from necessity and for others it is because their culture is more enmeshed. Many Australians also stay home with their parents longer, our kids usually live at home while they are university. It is not because our country is broke. Families often enjoy being together and derive support from each other. I am sure it is the same in Europe.

Yeah I've been there. Twice. It's nothing like day dreaming Americans imagine it is.

I have no problem acknowledging the hours Americans work and lack of vacation days. It's common knowledge. And needless to say.

I also have no problem acknowledging the fact that almost every single young person I met across all of Europe had a hopelessness in the way they talked about jobs, careers etc.. They seemed to be very depressed about their futures. Many adults seemed to be broke and on a dole of sorts.

Your opinion and experience may be different than mine. I couldn't care less what your opinion is tho'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 08:30 AM
 
6,779 posts, read 7,488,891 times
Reputation: 4196
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereibelong View Post
Please move my thread if there is a better board for it.

I'm wondering if anyone in the US feels like I do. I'm an American, born and raised here. But I'm beginning to feel so separated from the rest of the world. Not many people in my area travel more than a few states away, let alone travel abroad. Of course that doesn't matter to my personal life because I am "free" to travel abroad if I so choose (see more below). But I still feel isolated living in a place that isn't in tune with the rest of the world and doesn't seem to care about other cultures.

I'm tired of the American working culture too. I currently sit 40 hours a week at a desk and don't make enough money to live on my own. I commute on dirty public transit nearly an hour each way that is late by at least 15 minutes more than half the time. No one seems to care about having time with their family and friends. The people I work with are very nice and I am thankful for that, but it's weird how they rush through their lunch in 15 minutes then get back to work. One coworker recently had a baby and she was back in 3 weeks, while the child has been put in an all day day-care (her husband and her both work full time). It's just sad to see that this is the necessary lifestyle here because people need to work long hours to afford a living. It's so sad that a newborn child is spending more time in a daycare facility than with at least one parent. Why bother having a child if you have no time with them? Only to work more hours to afford having a child? I don't blame the individuals workers. I blame the companies taking over and using people just to make the CEOs pockets fatter. The cost of living is insane and it's becoming worse.

I've been learning that in Europe, it is more relaxed, public transit is more reliable, and there's more vacation time and more easy going lunch breaks. I know in a lot of European places, lunch is the biggest meal of the day, whereas dinner is here in the US, which is just a simple cultural difference and I get that. There's a lot of people here who think that is "lazy" but I personally see that as more productive. There's no reason for me to sit at a desk for 8 hours a day, when my work load can easily be done in 4 hours. It is a frustrating lifestyle to live. Growing up, my father worked for a bank in their administrative offices from 1pm-10pm plus the commute time. He worked every Thanksgiving and Christmas. We lived check to check and still do. It's just no way to live and I am scared for my future that it will be nothing except working 40 hours+ per week and earning only enough to pay bills and do nothing else, plus getting only one week of vacation. One week is not enough to travel abroad (actually maybe this is why many people in my area do not go abroad, plus the money issue).

It has been weighing on me lately. Does anyone else feel the same? Is there anyone out there (or boards that you can direct me to about this topic) who has relocated to Europe and what the good and bad is about it? I'm new here, so thanks for reading
the usa is enormous so i could understand how someone would see no need to explore other parts of the world when it would take several lifetimes to explore america itself

if someone is disillusioned about there life , im not sure moving abroad would change things , it might but it could just relocate the issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2018, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, BC
9,670 posts, read 10,980,156 times
Reputation: 4041
If a person thinks that their problems will disappear If they move locations, will be in for a rude awakening. Your current problems may not exist but will be replaced with a different set of problems. You can't escape that. Another thing to consider is if if English is not the mother tongue of the population, you will feel like an outsider and lonely and will be harder to make friends especially at first before you start getting more fluent in the local language. It's not always the case but is often so. It's important to have support networks to handle all of life's problems that will inevitably city come your way no matter where you live. Something to keep in mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top