U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 AM

3,263 posts, read 4,540,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
In the 18th and 19th centuries USA drew immigrants from world's most affluent nations like Germany and Japan. Today they mostly come from the poorest nations like Guatemala or Somalia.
I would NOT label Japan as affluent in the 19th Century. Flimsy houses made of paper were common there, and susceptible to earthquakes. Japan under the Meiji dynasty, was isolated from the West until Commodore Perry's U.S. Naval visit in 1858.

If Japanese then were affluent, why would thousands of them emigrate to work on Hawaiian pineapple plantations?

Likewise, Scandinavians were not affluent. They often had tiny tracts of arable land tucked into the mountainous Fjords, and barely enough to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2018, 05:59 AM

97 posts, read 103,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
The geography is what it is. The USA is physically distant from most of the world.
Central and South America at your doorstep. Europe is a 7 hour flight from the East Coast of USA....

Try living here in Australia. I live in Sydney, you hop on a plane and it takes over 6 hours just to get to INDONESIA.

It's no excuse, I've still travelled around the world, it's really not that hard sitting on a plane for a day if you really want to go somewhere and experience a different culture.

Old 07-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Status: "Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life" (set 15 days ago)

598 posts, read 120,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonChigurh85 View Post
Central and South America at your doorstep. Europe is a 7 hour flight from the East Coast of USA....

Try living here in Australia. I live in Sydney, you hop on a plane and it takes over 6 hours just to get to INDONESIA.

It's no excuse, I've still travelled around the world, it's really not that hard sitting on a plane for a day if you really want to go somewhere and experience a different culture.
Australia is too isolated would never be able to live there

Old 07-03-2018, 09:28 PM

231 posts, read 82,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Australia is too isolated would never be able to live there
Isolated from what? Americans do not travel overseas as much as we do. What do you feel you would be missing out on here? We do have telephones and internet, you know!

Old 07-04-2018, 03:21 PM

893 posts, read 524,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Isolated from what? Americans do not travel overseas as much as we do. What do you feel you would be missing out on here? We do have telephones and internet, you know!
It an orientation thing. Spending 8 hours on a plane to get from Chicago to London is OK, but 6 1/2 hours to get from South East Australia (Sydney) to Indonesia makes it 'remote'.

I suspect too that most Europeans and North Americans are not really focussed on or are aware of the locations that are close to Australia, like NZ, Vanuatu, Fiji, New Caledonia etc.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:39 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,130,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I'd say the ones in the world who should feel the least isolated gotta be: Italians, Greeks, Israelis. They're in the middle of everything, close to 3 continents.

My country may be a close contender as it borders greece. The most isolated are central Asia or Africa and Australia is on a different planet .
Isolation is all relative. I left london for very similar reasons the OP is talking about. (Dead end job, one hour commutes, and generally just to busy working and commuting to work to enjoy the place) Once you get a full time job and throw a wife and children into the mix (which I now have). Just traveling 50km to the nearest city becomes a major hassle.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-04-2018 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-04-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I lived overseas
Many years
I don’t think you have a realistic perception of the rest of the world and are not very grateful for the opportunities here
I’m just saying
The sweetest words I ever heard after 7 years was by us customs
Welcome home huck
Agreed with this, fortunately I had enough money saved to see the world, and the pound was very strong at the time. Though i had to quit my job and sell virtually everything I owned to achieve it, I arrived back in Australia virtually penniless.

Old 07-04-2018, 04:58 PM

2,001 posts, read 734,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I would NOT label Japan as affluent in the 19th Century. Flimsy houses made of paper were common there, and susceptible to earthquakes. Japan under the Meiji dynasty, was isolated from the West until Commodore Perry's U.S. Naval visit in 1858.

If Japanese then were affluent, why would thousands of them emigrate to work on Hawaiian pineapple plantations?

Likewise, Scandinavians were not affluent. They often had tiny tracts of arable land tucked into the mountainous Fjords, and barely enough to eat.
You could make the same argument for Germany. Tokyo in the 1800s looked very much like a European city, in terms of infrastructure, architecture, etc. In stark contrast to places like Cairo and Calcutta. Which is all the more remarkable, because the Japanese adopted western standards without the modeling influence of a European colonial power.

Germany was assuming a leadership role in industrial, intellectual and financial development at a time when German emigrants were flocking to the USA. Emigrants, who ran out of agricultural space, were from the poorer uneducated agrarian demographics, in Germany and Japan alike.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 AM

15,492 posts, read 17,987,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Agreed with this, fortunately I had enough money saved to see the world, and the pound was very strong at the time. Though i had to quit my job and sell virtually everything I owned to achieve it, I arrived back in Australia virtually penniless.
How do people do this? I would be scared out of my wits even if I tried.

Old 07-05-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
How do people do this? I would be scared out of my wits even if I tried.
Personally it was my complete confidence I would find a job when I got back, and a close supportive family who could support me if the need be (thankfully I did not have to go through that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or