Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Shibuya or Causeway Bay?
Shibuya 16 84.21%
Causeway Bay 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:23 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times

Advertisements

Which of the two entertainment/retail districts do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 06:30 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Causeway Bay for me but I just prefer Hong Kong in general. Certainly Shibuya is every bit as sensational but it's perhaps a little too intimidating to me.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
If you do not speak Japanese, a lot of things are not really accessible in Japan even in Tokyo.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:44 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times
I prefer Shibuya. It has the huge crossing with giant TV screens, and a massive crowd but can still seem neat and orderly. Causeway Bay doesn't feel that lively on regular days and on Sundays, it's flooded with Indonesian maids. Although it shares the same name, the Times Square in Causeway Bay doesn't have that "Times Square, NY" vibe at all. Admittedly, if you're going for shopping, Hong Kong still is generally cheaper than Japan. It has the advantage of not charging sales tax, being a free port with no customs tariff for most goods, and is the trading center of the world's manufacturing hub.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If you do not speak Japanese, a lot of things are not really accessible in Japan even in Tokyo.
That's how I feel too. I mean I dont want to put that on other people cause it may not be universal, but all three times I've been to Tokyo/Japan that was my experience.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:03 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
That's how I feel too. I mean I dont want to put that on other people cause it may not be universal, but all three times I've been to Tokyo/Japan that was my experience.
That makes sense. English is the most universal language around (and certainly the language of this forum) and places are in many ways harder to explore without speaking the language there or having a large population that does speak their language.

I will say that people in Tokyo and Japan in general don't seem to be excluding visitors, but just don't seem to have a strong grasp of English as a population. It definitely opens a lot of doors in terms of meeting people to speak some modicum of Japanese. Speaking-wise, it's not super hard to pick up especially if you don't need to figure out the honorifics and just go formal the whole way. It's not a tonal language, there aren't super hard conjugations you'll need especially if you just stick to formal, and the romanji is direct writing to sound.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:57 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I prefer Shibuya. It has the huge crossing with giant TV screens, and a massive crowd but can still seem neat and orderly. Causeway Bay doesn't feel that lively on regular days and on Sundays, it's flooded with Indonesian maids. Although it shares the same name, the Times Square in Causeway Bay doesn't have that "Times Square, NY" vibe at all. Admittedly, if you're going for shopping, Hong Kong still is generally cheaper than Japan. It has the advantage of not charging sales tax, being a free port with no customs tariff for most goods, and is the trading center of the world's manufacturing hub.
Times Square is actually the name brand of a Japanese department store, like SOGO.

Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,672,038 times
I did find that there was a language gap, compared to HK and I think even those in Beijing spoke more English on avg. That said we never felt like people were not welcoming at any point but I think people were perhaps more reserved in Japan in general than the other two. However, my wife actually liked it best, and cited the mindfulness and politeness of citizens as a major reason, even if they weren’t the most talkative. We had a number of people that were friendly to us everywhere we went, IMO.

As per this discussion, we actually stayed near Shibuya, but embarrassingly, didn’t spend all that much time there apart from doing some shopping on the way in or out. It’s a bustling retail and pedestrian heart the order of magnitude which is hard to fathom anywhere in the world really. Causeway Bay, however, I’m a bit embarrassed to admit we never made it to. ��
I didn’t realize it was some sort of centerpiece.
While we were there:
Night 1: Arrived 4-5 HRs. Late.
Day 2: Staying in West Kowloon, morning jog along waterfront, IFC and attached mall, Tim Ho Wan (OMG), Mong Kok/Ladies Market, Tsim Sha Tsui Waterfront and Star Ferry.
Day 3: Hiked Lion Rock (woah), Walked about in Central (including Saint John’s), Peak Tram/Lunch, HK Park/Tea Museum, Pacific Place/Admiralty, Ding Dings, Central Mid Levels, SoHo, LKF (we didn’t stay long), Disneyland (to see outside of park/get family souvenirs), Temple Street Night Market
Day 4: Pastry Breakfast at Mandarin Oriental
I think we got a decent amount done including other random interceding activities, but of course I’m sure there are major spots we still missed : )

Old 06-29-2018, 06:40 AM

3,866 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That makes sense. English is the most universal language around (and certainly the language of this forum) and places are in many ways harder to explore without speaking the language there or having a large population that does speak their language.

I will say that people in Tokyo and Japan in general don't seem to be excluding visitors, but just don't seem to have a strong grasp of English as a population. It definitely opens a lot of doors in terms of meeting people to speak some modicum of Japanese. Speaking-wise, it's not super hard to pick up especially if you don't need to figure out the honorifics and just go formal the whole way. It's not a tonal language, there aren't super hard conjugations you'll need especially if you just stick to formal, and the romanji is direct writing to sound.
Yes I agree. People in Tokyo do seem hospitable, but the language barrier is a real problem for anyone who doesn't speak Japanese. There are ways around it, but a barrier is a barrier at the end of the day.

Especially when compared to Hong Kong. You can live in Hong Kong and survive just fine speaking only English and downloading a Chinese language app on your phone for basic ordering, taxi service, etc..

I have friends that have lived in Hong Kong for years and they can hardly even say Hello in Cantonese or Mandarin. They live in a completely separate Ex pat world from everyone else. So as a visitor who speaks English it is such an easy place to navigate and explore with minimal effort.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:35 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Times Square is actually the name brand of a Japanese department store, like SOGO.

Times Square Hong Kong is actually a shopping mall, rather than a department store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World