U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 02:57 PM

198 posts, read 238,241 times

Advertisements

Serious question. Would a born and bred New Yorker from say the West Village acclimate better to moving to say Mayfair in London rather than some small town in Iowa? I would think the New Yorker would find a more comparable life style in London vis a vis Iowa despite being in the same country.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 PM

10,996 posts, read 21,422,044 times
It all depends on your personality and disposition. I grew up in small town Iowa and moved to central Chicago at age 22 and I acclimated immediately, I felt I was where I was supposed to be and jumped fully into city life, no car, working downtown, walking everywhere and dealing with a dense urban environment immediately. Been to NYC dozens of times and I don't skip a beat there.

I would assume someone from NYC would grow up with all those dense big city living situations where they would understand what's going on in London, but it's not something that's make or break.

I've made plenty of friends over the years who grew up in Chicago and just never took to it, it always rubbed them the wrong way and they moved out to the country or far flung suburbs by the time they were 30.

On the same thread I know multiple friends who I grew up with back in Iowa who moved on to Manhattan or Amsterdam or overseas after high school and college - it was just where they belong.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:04 PM

5,697 posts, read 6,237,160 times
At first blush I'd say rural Iowa is definitely the greater culture shock than London. Of course it will depend on the person and their experiences and preferences.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 PM

3,389 posts, read 1,903,569 times
Mayfair and the West Village are pretty different places, but small-town Iowa is like another planet in comparison.

Limited ability to get places on foot, everyone getting into your business, probably an eviscerated main street...Iowa towns have their charms but not of the urban variety. You can get an incredibly cheap old house though. Probably not a decent flat. There are exceptions of course, not that I'm familiar beyond a few places a while back. College towns tend to be more urban and worldly, with better main streets.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 AM

8,127 posts, read 2,726,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
Serious question. Would a born and bred New Yorker from say the West Village acclimate better to moving to say Mayfair in London rather than some small town in Iowa? I would think the New Yorker would find a more comparable life style in London vis a vis Iowa despite being in the same country.

Thoughts?
Mayfair has had a long association with the United States. Pocahontas is believed to have visited the area in the early 17th century. In 1786, John Adams established the US Embassy on Grosvenor Square. Theodore Roosevelt was married in Hanover Square, while Franklin D. Roosevelt honeymooned in Berkeley Square.

There is a small memorial park in Mount Street Gardens with a collection of benches engraved with the names of former American residents and visitors to Mayfair.

The area is also home to the Roosevelt Memorial, the US Eagle Sqadrons Memorial and statues of Dwight D.Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and the 9/11 Memorial. Whilst John Adams House still stands at 9 Grosvenor Square.

Grosvenor Square, London - A View On Cities

John Adams : London Remembers

Grosvenor Square, U. S. Embassy - US Embassy London

Grosvenor Square - Wikipedia

The area was where the D-Day Invasion was planned by Eisenhower and was fior many years the US Navy HQ in Europe, and where the US Embassy stood until it's recent move. The US Embassy in London also played an important role during the Cold War and is still synonymous with Cold War spies and espionage.

Other peole who lived close to Grosvenor Square include Oscar Wilde, composer George Frideric Handel and the guitarist Jimi Hendrix.

Brook Street - Wikipedia

As for London as a whole, it has very good transport links, culture, restaurants (including American restaurants) and the sheer size and choice available would mean a New Yorker from the West Villa would most likely feel at home in London, a city with a significant American population.

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-29-2018 at 04:29 AM..

Old 06-30-2018, 11:37 PM

2,225 posts, read 1,346,094 times
Of course in many respects New York and London are more similar - see cosmopolitan. Incidentally, the West Village and Mayfair aren't very good parallels, for Mayfair, try the UES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or