U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the 25 biggest emerging/developing countries have the brightest/most promising future?
China 26 52.00%
India 12 24.00%
Russia 6 12.00%
Brazil 4 8.00%
Indonesia 5 10.00%
South Korea 19 38.00%
Mexico 11 22.00%
Turkey 4 8.00%
Saudi Arabia 4 8.00%
Argentina 4 8.00%
South Africa 1 2.00%
Iran 2 4.00%
Poland 18 36.00%
Thailand 6 12.00%
Nigeria 4 8.00%
Egypt 2 4.00%
Pakistan 2 4.00%
Malaysia 12 24.00%
Philippines 5 10.00%
United Arab Emirates 8 16.00%
Colombia 4 8.00%
Bangladesh 2 4.00%
Vietname 11 22.00%
Venezuela 1 2.00%
Iraq 3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 06:23 PM

6,406 posts, read 7,568,400 times

Advertisements

Neither Poland nor South Korea are "developing world" or "emerging countries."

Both Poland and South Korea have already emerged and both are already developed world. South Korea is one of the most advanced countries on the planet, so this it is a bit of a laugher to pretend that place has more developing left to do. If it has to keep developing then what does that make of 95% of the rest of the countries on Earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 PM
BMI

6,360 posts, read 3,655,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
Neither Poland nor South Korea are "developing world" or "emerging countries."

Both Poland and South Korea have already emerged and both are already developed world. South Korea is one of the most advanced countries on the planet, so this it is a bit of a laugher to pretend that place has more developing left to do. If it has to keep developing then what does that make of 95% of the rest of the countries on Earth?
Agree...LOL South Korea developing....as I type this on my Samsung smart phone,
while driving in my Hyundai Santa Fe

Old 06-30-2018, 09:13 PM

5,694 posts, read 6,235,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Notice I wrote emerging/developing. South Korea isn't a developing country but is certainly considered as an emerging market. You should look at the classification by MSCI: https://www.msci.com/market-classification
Countries such as Czech Republic and Greece are like South Korea which are considered as advanced economies by some sources but as emerging markets by others.
By most metrics, South Korea is developed and not emerging. The reasons for MSCI's classification as emerging are:

Quote:
The lack of convertibility of the national currency. Investors are forced to use the Korean won and local counterparties only during business hours. The lack of a 24-hour foreign currency exchange system compromises the trading and liquidity of the developed market index-tracking strategies. Additionally, non-residents are not permitted to buy won-denominated hedge funds, including forward currency contracts.
Restrictions imposed by the local exchange. South Korea prohibits in-kind transfers of securities.
If these items are addressed, MSCI has stated they will reclassify South Korea. So it's a little more complex than simply how they are listed.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:48 AM

577 posts, read 380,389 times
I voted China, India, Poland, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia. These countries grow fast and with solid foundations. Or have large population, which means strong influence.

I think South Korea is already developed, but not sure.

As a Colombian, I think my country will keep growing steadily, but not as fast as to become developed in the short/mid term.

The political future of countries like Mexico, Iran, Turkey, South Africa or Russia, among others, is too uncertain to know wheter they will be on the path of development.

Old 07-02-2018, 11:50 AM

577 posts, read 380,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Well in terms of `brightest future` that really depends of what kind of time frame you are looking at. Over the very long term I would say India but I didn`t vote for any of them as I will use 30 years as my gauge. You can make a relatively decent prediction over that time period but more than that you is really just guess work. As an example 70 years ago S.Korea was one of the poorest countries on the planet but due to it`s geo-political importance it received gobs of money from the US and hence the basically developed country you see today.

If I had to choose it wouldn't be any of the countries you listed. The top 3 of my list would all be in South America...……….Chile, Peru, and Uruguay. All 3 have enjoyed solid economic growth and now have firmly democratic governments and institutions. Women represent a high percentage of the workforce, they are basically immune from the refugee crisis that is plaguing so much of the world, they have modern thinking, creative, and progressive populations, are not is any geo-political battlegrounds, have plunging poverty rates especially Peru and Chile as Uruguay never had a very high one to begin with, unlike other Latin American countries they have relatively lower crime rates, have access to a large and growing market, are Spanish speaking which is one of the world`s most important business and cultural languages, they don`t suffer from the same drug wars that other LA countries do, and have very good {especially Uruguay and Chile} public education and healthcare services.

Peru, Chile, and Uruguay fly under the radar and get little international press and that is uniformly a good thing as 90% of press reports focus on negative developments.

Peru is one of the main cocaine producers of the World and has big crime rates, tho'.

I thought of including Peru too, but it's not (yet) one of the 25 largest emerging economies.

Public education and healthcare is far from being "good" or even decent in any LatAm country.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:09 PM

231 posts, read 82,367 times
Having travelled extensively in China last year and in South America the year before, there is no comparison. The development in China is amazing. All of South America seemed to have a malaise about it. I agree Chile is the most prosperous but even there, the procedures at the airport were antiquated, the standard of English in the tourist industry was well below that in China.

No I am not Chinese nor have any Chinese heritage. But it was a joy to travel there and I would predict they will definitely be the upcoming world power.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:11 PM

3,859 posts, read 1,886,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Having travelled extensively in China last year and in South America the year before, there is no comparison. The development in China is amazing. All of South America seemed to have a malaise about it. I agree Chile is the most prosperous but even there, the procedures at the airport were antiquated, the standard of English in the tourist industry was well below that in China.

No I am not Chinese nor have any Chinese heritage. But it was a joy to travel there and I would predict they will definitely be the upcoming world power.

They already are. Number #2 behind the US both economically and militarily.

Old 07-02-2018, 10:24 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,840,810 times
China, South Korea and India.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 AM

168 posts, read 356,274 times
I think China`s economic future is very precarious but unlike most of the other countries, China`s day of reckoning will not be due to economic reasons but rather political ones.

China is the largest military dictatorship on the planet and it`s obscene human rights abuses are a reflection of that. China is essentially the world`s largest prison. Yes compared to the squalor of the prison cells people had to live in 40 years ago, things have materially improved greatly. The prisoners now have enough to eat, running water, smartphones, cable TV, and their own private cells. They are living in a much pretty cell but it`s a prison cell nonetheless. As those prisoners become more educated and want more privileges, the warden will balk and the prisoners will revolt and nothing is more devesting to an institution that prison riot.

China is a militarily state run economy and when the people have had enough of Bejing's heavy hand the state will fall and so hence will the entire state established economy. China over the very long term will do well but it will come with a devastating economic and financial collapse and they will have to rebuild their economic, financial, governmental, political, and social institutions from the ground up.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 AM

6,507 posts, read 4,593,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Notice I wrote emerging/developing. South Korea isn't a developing country but is certainly considered as an emerging market. You should look at the classification by MSCI: https://www.msci.com/market-classification
Countries such as Czech Republic and Greece are like South Korea which are considered as advanced economies by some sources but as emerging markets by others.
Korea and Taiwan are classified as emerging markets solely because of currency convertibility. It's laughable that anyone would consider economic mayhem like Italy and Spain to be developed and Korea emerging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or