U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 AM

61 posts, read 18,002 times

Advertisements

Islamophobia is increasing in Europe and the Commonwealth Realms. I believe that several opinion polls point to younger demographic cohorts in these two regions having higher levels of Islamophobia than the United States. India is also famously Islamophobic.

So, apart from the United States, which areas area also now less Islamophobic? Maybe my question is worded incorrectly but I couldn't think of the best phrase to describe the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 10:42 AM

71,844 posts, read 63,086,925 times
Offhand, I'd say parts of the US: Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area. There are large, long-established Muslim communities there, mosques, community centers, shops or public markets selling imported goods from "home", etc.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:19 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,359,737 times
China and eastern europe lol .

Answer: Muslim countries.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:25 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,559,735 times
Hmmm,

Maybe Russia. The Chechnya situation is further in the rear view mirror. Muslims have long been a sizable minority in Russia. Moscow has the biggest mosque in Europe(not counting Istanbul I suppose).

China is a maybe as well. Maybe their One Belt/One Road initiative means they'll be a bit more sympathetic to the plight of the Uighur Muslims in Xinjiang Province.

Canada is about as open as you can get.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:36 AM

593 posts, read 241,837 times
Muslim, Russians and the Jews – the three most persecuted groups in the world.

Sad.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 PM

16,111 posts, read 21,218,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthal_Ganesan View Post
So, apart from the United States, which areas area also now less Islamophobic? Maybe my question is worded incorrectly but I couldn't think of the best phrase to describe the situation.
Apart from where Ruth mentioned, the US as of late has been quite anti Muslim. I'll add San Diego to Ruth's list as it has a large Muslim community too and is pretty tolerant of them.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:53 PM

2,094 posts, read 2,906,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muthal_Ganesan View Post
Islamophobia is increasing in Europe and the Commonwealth Realms. I believe that several opinion polls point to younger demographic cohorts in these two regions having higher levels of Islamophobia than the United States. India is also famously Islamophobic.

Any area with an enlightened population, unable to be 'brainwashed' by a right wing populist agenda. Probably transcends borders of nations, but alive and well in inner city localities and areas of cities and towns used to living side by side with people of different races/religions/colours/dress/and so on.

Not sure how anyone could name a specific country outside of their own which is likely subjective but cosmopolitan environments where few notice difference where difference itself is the norm.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:57 PM

2,094 posts, read 2,906,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Muslim, Russians and the Jews the three most persecuted groups in the world.

Sad.
I could add a few more to your listing. Roma for instance. Aboriginal groups of various nations, refugees of assorted nationality in many nations.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:26 PM

110 posts, read 88,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Offhand, I'd say parts of the US: Seattle, the San Francisco Bay Area. There are large, long-established Muslim communities there, mosques, community centers, shops or public markets selling imported goods from "home", etc.
This is correct. Nobody really bothers them in San Francisco.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:11 PM

593 posts, read 241,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I could add a few more to your listing. Roma for instance. Aboriginal groups of various nations, refugees of assorted nationality in many nations.
Gypsyphobia/Romanophobia, aboriginophobia, refugeophobia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or