U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:25 AM

15,503 posts, read 18,000,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
I've never been to the US, but I would imagine it would be entirely possible for even a US born person to live their entire life using nothing but Spanish?
100% of the public schools and universities in the U.S. use English as the primary language of instruction and curricula. So, just about all the children who are born to Spanish-speaking parents learn English growing up and speak it fluently.

The only exception is Puerto Rico, where instruction is in Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 08:37 AM

903 posts, read 815,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
Well not really. Far from the largest birthplace of Australian migrants remains by far UK. The second is New Zealand. the forth is India, (where one may expect the big majority already speak English to varying degrees of high levels) Then countries like Malaysia and Philippines, both .
All good points, I think it fits with my point that the immigration situation in Australia/Canada is different than the US/Europe. The socioeconomic/language gaps between natives and immigrants is far smaller in Aus/Can vs us/eu.

I guess we can debate the merits of "merit" vs family vs refuge vs relative tolerance of illegal immigration. But, l think a lot of US citizens roll their eyes when they hear arguments from US neoliberals/leftist immigration advocates heaping praise in Canada and to a lesser extent Australia for being so telerant and multicultural when it comes to immigration. These analysts always seem to overlook the fact that these immigration populations are more educated and English speaking than in the US. They never seem to acknowledge that these tangible factors contribute to the populist backlash to immigration and attribute the differences in the politics of immigration to rank xenophobia/racism.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 AM

15,503 posts, read 18,000,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
The USA is barely a blip in the scale of global migration, no reason to play the victim here.
What time frame are you referring to? The U.S. population has increased by 320 million people in the last 200 years.

lol

Old 07-10-2018, 10:36 AM

6,754 posts, read 3,273,469 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
It seems that the US tends to get criticized the most by the global media and governments for their immigration policy,, despite taking in a million people each year. I donít understand why though? Why does the world feel like itís americís obligation to take in all of the worldís population. Why do people feel like they deserve to live here?

Why does the US's ego think all of the world's poor want to go there?
There are many that don't.
There are many that would prefer to be in places closer to their native lands.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:39 AM

12,854 posts, read 7,072,224 times
I would recommend reading "The Global Refugee Crisis, Region by Region." The New York Times. It's not just us facing a migrant crisis of poor people who have lost everything flooding into our country. If you believe Trump's fear factor hyperbole you will feel like it's all criminals and undesirables. If you understand the facts you might view it differently. The world is in chaos right now and people are fleeing globally because they actually want to live. Who among us wouldn't want to do the same thing?

I believe that we as human beings have a moral right to help one another, There are those that feel differently. For those of you who don't want to help I ask you to stop and think that if you were in those shoes wouldn't you want someone to help you? Just imagine if you lost everything, went to a foreign country scared, and not speaking that language, and were separated from your spouse and children. You have no idea when and if you will see them again. Why further traumatize people that have already been traumatized?

I believe that everyone should be treated with respect and kindness. I also believe that we can't take in the world either, and we don't. " According to UNHCR's latest statistics there are approximately 25.4 million refugees in the world. " Since 1975 the United States has accepted 3.3 million refugees for permanent settlement." Source: U.S. Department of State Refugee Admission.

So if we have taken in 3,3 million since 1975 and there are 25.4 million world wide, doesn't that mean that other countries are doing their part? Doesn't that amount to around 1 percent of the refugees that we've taken in?

We are the richest most powerful country in the world. We should be helping our global neighbors, and helping them go home when the crisis is over. Think about going to your billionaire uncle Joe's house after you survived a major hurricane and he puts you up in a tent and feeds you MRE's until you can go back home. He also takes your wife away and turfs her to another relative and your kids are placed in foster care. Kind of sad isn't it?

Old 07-10-2018, 12:03 PM

4,458 posts, read 2,232,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
100% of the public schools and universities in the U.S. use English as the primary language of instruction and curricula. So, just about all the children who are born to Spanish-speaking parents learn English growing up and speak it fluently.

The only exception is Puerto Rico, where instruction is in Spanish.
The Puerto Rican government has made English mandatory as well, but itís not the primary language.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:25 PM

4,082 posts, read 3,331,440 times
As this is the World Forum I certainly don't want to be in a position of stating, bragging, or complaining about America's legal and illegal immigration difficulties, especially in light of the current debacle at the southern border of America.

So, just the facts here because I for one think it is best to be mindful and respectful of the audience, which is international and varied.

Take it for what it's worth.

About four-in-ten of the world’s migrants live in the U.S. or Europe

The United States has long been the top destination country for migrants worldwide, though if the European Union, Norway and Switzerland were a single country it would outrank the U.S. as a destination for international migrants. But the U.S. and Europe are quite different when it comes to their migrant populations’ origin countries.

About four-in-ten of the world's migrants live in the U.S. or Europe | Pew Research Center

5 facts about the U.S. rank in worldwide migration May 18, 2016

By a wide margin, the U.S. has more immigrants than any other country in the world. As of 2015, the United Nations estimates that 46.6 million people living in the United States were not born there. This means that about one-in-five international migrants (19%) live in the U.S. The U.S. immigrant population is nearly four times that of the world’s next largest immigrant destination – Germany, with about 12 million immigrants.

5 facts about the U.S. rank in worldwide migration | Pew Research Center

Old 07-24-2018, 05:44 PM

7 posts, read 2,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
USA is highly criticised worldwide because their government in many situations acts like a "world police", taking part into conflicts before being threatened. In much of Asia, particularly, the image of USA is far from being positive. So, I guess, they would think that USA should open the doors for them because they also think that USA is guilty of their misfortune.
If the world believes America is the source of all problems like this migrant thing.... why doesn't the world destroy America?

Old 07-24-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Why does the US believe it should meddle in the affairs of the rest of the
Because the world allows it to.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Nearly all the poor people in the world can attribute their poverty, to some fairly significant extent, the the corporate American exploitation of their labor and/or the resources of their country, for which only paltry wages or royalties have been paid by the Americans.
So why doesn't the world do something about this injustice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World