U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does it feel like to be a visible minority in the USA?
I feel at a higher safety risk 6 33.33%
I feel there is no difference 12 66.67%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 06:19 PM

4,258 posts, read 2,119,209 times

Advertisements

My wife is Chinese and she's only had one fairly negative thing happen to her in the nearly 10 years she been here. That was with my sister-in-law, but my sister-in-law treats a lot of people like garbage... My wife lived in England, near Manchester, for a couple years before coming to the US and she had multiple negative experiences, and that doesn't even lead me to believe that England has serious issues. The US is a massive country, bigger then Europe, results are going to vary widely.

A few years back I had a black employee who claimed it was racism every time a non-black person treated him poorly, its not always racism, some people are just jerks.

One of my best friends is black and he had a legitimate serious racist thing happen to him near Wichita. He's a doctor and was on call to a small hospital in some little town. A police officer pulled him over and yelled at my friend for him to get out of the town. My friend almost got drug out of his car to the police station. He is a fairly shy guy and not the least aggressive, I can't imagine he provoked the officer in the slightest. In fact, based on his emotional status when I saw him that night, I know he didn't do anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 07:40 PM

245 posts, read 83,082 times
I am White non-american, and I live in SoCal which is an area dominated by Hispanics. While I might not be the type of "visible minority" would you expect to hear about, White people are greatly outnumbered here nonetheless. My situation is particular since I am White but also a foreigner, and that allowed to witness a great deal of peculiar racial interactions. Believe it or not, but I have witnessed a lot of racism and hostility directed at me because of my race. People see in me a White person and sometimes do not shy away from throwing negative white stereotypes at me, probably because they see it a harmless and an acceptable form of prejudice. I sometimes get stares, sometimes inoffensive, sometimes hostile. At mom and pop shops, I have learned to be aggressive since minorities sometimes see White folks as rich and easily taken advantage of. I avoid walking the streets at night since I know I will make a target of choice. I've noticed people feel more comfortable expressing racist opinions in front of me, probably because they feel that White people are always a little racist, at least.

Moving here was an eye-opener about human nature, people are people no matter the race, and that applies to racism too.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:03 PM

16,030 posts, read 20,957,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Regarding the part in red.
Sadly I and many people around the world are starting to doubt that.
Talk is cheap.
Thanks to social media more of what we don't want to deal with is surfacing.
I 100% agree that it can be significant different depending on what part of a country or state people are referring to... but I am not feeling American is leading in this area as much as they want to think.

There seems to be this holly trinity of race relations in the USA. Mainly between white, black and Latino. It is hard to know what is real vs fabricated.
Note: Many people in the US who are not, as you call them, visible minorities, will tell you a very different reality than those of us who actually live this reality every single day. Keep that in mind.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
I am White non-american, and I live in SoCal which is an area dominated by Hispanics. While I might not be the type of "visible minority" would you expect to hear about, White people are greatly outnumbered here nonetheless. My situation is particular since I am White but also a foreigner, and that allowed to witness a great deal of peculiar racial interactions. Believe it or not, but I have witnessed a lot of racism and hostility directed at me because of my race. People see in me a White person and sometimes do not shy away from throwing negative white stereotypes at me, probably because they see it a harmless and an acceptable form of prejudice. I sometimes get stares, sometimes inoffensive, sometimes hostile. At mom and pop shops, I have learned to be aggressive since minorities sometimes see White folks as rich and easily taken advantage of. I avoid walking the streets at night since I know I will make a target of choice. I've noticed people feel more comfortable expressing racist opinions in front of me, probably because they feel that White people are always a little racist, at least.

Moving here was an eye-opener about human nature, people are people no matter the race, and that applies to racism too.
This happens too unfortunately.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:15 AM

15,036 posts, read 17,664,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Regarding the part in red.
Sadly I and many people around the world are starting to doubt that.
Talk is cheap.
Minorities are actually doing better economically right now than at any time in U.S. history.

Blacks and Hispanics have record low unemployment rates. The unemployment rate for Asians is 2.7%, which is significantly lower than for the U.S. as a whole.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 AM

10,027 posts, read 6,659,303 times
I'd say America is overall fairly safe for 'coloured' people. It's one of the most multicultural countries in the world. Even white Americans tend to have mixed ancestry. I wouldn't be worried about racism in there. Maybe if you choose to live in Mississippi or something you should be wary. But in other states, especially those to the northeast and west, you'll not be discriminated against and I don't think anyone will "notice" you. I'd say European countries are more 'race-conscious', like Germany, Spain, Russia and the Netherlands.

To note, Travyon Martin was killed by a Latino cop. And, although his death was completely unnecessary, he had it coming.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:19 PM
Status: ".....eyes closed... mouth shut" (set 17 hours ago)

6,518 posts, read 3,081,499 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Talk is cheap.

You should consider that when getting your impressions of American race relations from social media and a mainstream media that is concerned with placating the domestic grudges of the citizens of their own countries "Don't worrry, we in ________ are fine. Look at the mess in America!!!"

America's race relations problems are real, but the depictions of them in media, especially outside the US, are tabloidal in nature at best, propagandistic at worst.
It is pretty delusional to think that people around that world don't get their impressions of other countries based on how they are represented in pop culture and the media.

If you don't do anything to dispel the myths don't expect other people outside of your country to put effort in to proving them wrong.

If someone continues to present the same type of picture or story over and over again then people do in fact start to believe it.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Note: Many people in the US who are not, as you call them, visible minorities, will tell you a very different reality than those of us who actually live this reality every single day. Keep that in mind.
I agree. I am white and from the Caribbean. I know my experiences living in Canada regarding racism are very different then people from the same country that are visible minorities. I am not going to disagree with that.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:22 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Minorities are actually doing better economically right now than at any time in U.S. history.

Blacks and Hispanics have record low unemployment rates. The unemployment rate for Asians is 2.7%, which is significantly lower than for the U.S. as a whole.
This is good, but how are White Americans doing in comparison?
Progress is not equality.
Until you have equality then there are still problems that need to be fixed.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

That could be due to the overall unemployment rate not being so bad. Wait till things go into the crapper. Minorities will be disproportionately affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or