U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What does it feel like to be a visible minority in the USA?
I feel at a higher safety risk 6 35.29%
I feel there is no difference 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Status: ".....eyes closed... mouth shut" (set 15 hours ago)

6,518 posts, read 3,081,499 times

Advertisements

I am a minority, but not a visible minority and I must say watching and hearing things that go on in the USA does make me feel uncomfortable when travelling in the USA.

Specifically relating to racism and hate based crimes.

There are places in the USA I just want travel to as a result.

Even driving through the USA there are places I just don't feel comfortable stopping in.

Stories that this really fuel these thoughts ....

91-year-old man beaten with brick, told 'go back to your own country':

91-year-old man beaten with brick, told 'go back to your own country'

Trayvon Martin Shooting:

https://www.cnn.com/2013/06/05/us/tr...cts/index.html

Eric Garner:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ld-death-video

Children Being Separated From their Parents and detained:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/07/us/se...ons/index.html

Now I am not as easy to point out as a minority and this all concerns me greatly.

I can't help but wonder how people that really are visible minorities feel living in the USA?

My question goes out to visible minorities in the USA: How safe do you feel living in the USA? Do you really feel you are at a higher risk for being discriminated against at in the work force, in the education system and by the police?

Please note I am not asking White Americans to speak on anyone's behalf. This is your turn to be silent and listen. The only way to know how someone else is feeling is by asking them and giving them the opportunity to speak.

I would assume regional parts of the USA are different from each other. Do you feel there are places in the USA that you would feel less safe in?

Feel free to respond to the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 11:17 AM

15,035 posts, read 17,664,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
My question goes out to visible minorities in the USA: How safe do you feel living in the USA? Do you really feel you are at a higher risk for being discriminated against at in the work force, in the education system and by the police?
It is hard to generalize across the board about a country as large and diverse as the United States. The best answer is that it depends on the person and the situation. As far as safety is concerned, most of the United States is very safe. Most of the time, when people get "harassed" by the police, they are committing a crime or breaking some law.

On a social level, a lot of white Americans treat minorities just normally like any other American. But there are some whites who will ignore you or are inclined to treat you unfavorably. So, it is a mixed bag.

As far as the workplace and education are concerned, the United States is a land of great opportunity for anyone regardless of their race or national background. If you have the ability and drive to work hard and never give up, then you will succeed economically.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:43 PM
Status: ".....eyes closed... mouth shut" (set 15 hours ago)

6,518 posts, read 3,081,499 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It is hard to generalize across the board about a country as large and diverse as the United States. The best answer is that it depends on the person and the situation. As far as safety is concerned, most of the United States is very safe. Most of the time, when people get "harassed" by the police, they are committing a crime or breaking some law.

On a social level, a lot of white Americans treat minorities just normally like any other American. But there are some whites who will ignore you or are inclined to treat you unfavorably. So, it is a mixed bag.

As far as the workplace and education are concerned, the United States is a land of great opportunity for anyone regardless of their race or national background. If you have the ability and drive to work hard and never give up, then you will succeed economically.
Regarding the part in red.
Sadly I and many people around the world are starting to doubt that.
Talk is cheap.
Thanks to social media more of what we don't want to deal with is surfacing.
I 100% agree that it can be significant different depending on what part of a country or state people are referring to... but I am not feeling American is leading in this area as much as they want to think.

There seems to be this holly trinity of race relations in the USA. Mainly between white, black and Latino. It is hard to know what is real vs fabricated.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 PM

2,846 posts, read 1,293,738 times
I am black and live in a predominantly white (slightly below 60% area) in a minority-majority County (Fort Bend), in a plurality Hispanic state (Texas).
Hispanics have been in Texas or at least not too far from this part of Texas for generations as well Blacks. I feel race relations are great in my area and feel zero racism etcetera etcetera. Although my county is an anomaly seeing as their isn’t a single county in the U.S that Has less white people that is wealthier than my county. Essentially everyone here from hispanics to Blacks are relatively wealthy compared to those around the nation and as a result the income/class aspect of race relations doesn’t tie as much into animosity between races. Fort Bend is also fairly an integrated county with arguably one of if not the most diverse zip code in Athe country being just a 5 miles or so drive from where I live. Because of this and Houston in general being on the upper end on the diversity spectrum as we are just talking races and not ethnicities, I also feel like at least this city and Dallas as well as Austin and San Antonio to lesser extents feel devoid of real racism that you feel day to day, week to week or even monthly/yearly. But I live in one of the most integrated parts of one of the most diverse metros in the U.S and my opinion is also affected by how young I am and however an immigrant myself from a country where ethnic violence isn’t uncommon. So I might just be seeing through rose colored glasses.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 AM

1,572 posts, read 4,049,565 times
Quote:
I am a minority, but not a visible minority and I must say watching and hearing things that go on in the USA does make me feel uncomfortable when travelling in the USA.

Feel free to respond to the poll.
Don't make it seem as if there is no racial discrimination in Canada, it is no utopia either. Recently there have been quite a few very racist incidents in Canada too, the confrontations have gone viral as well. Don't tell me you are unaware of these things that have happened in your country?

I am familiar with Canada, and minorities certainly face glass ceiling limitations, and other forms of systemic discrimination- arguably even more than the US.
In regards to Asians, I believe Asian-Americans have overcome more barriers in certain fields/ areas of interest (politics, media, policing, for instance) than their counterparts in Canada.

BTW You are using the Canadian term "Visible minority". It is just "minority" in the US. The addition of "visible" just emphasizes the "you are different" element.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM

14,439 posts, read 15,964,155 times
Quote:
Regarding the part in red.
Sadly I and many people around the world are starting to doubt that.
Talk is cheap.
Thanks to social media more of what we don't want to deal with is surfacing.
Talk is cheap.

You should consider that when getting your impressions of American race relations from social media and a mainstream media that is concerned with placating the domestic grudges of the citizens of their own countries "Don't worrry, we in ________ are fine. Look at the mess in America!!!"

America's race relations problems are real, but the depictions of them in media, especially outside the US, are tabloidal in nature at best, propagandistic at worst.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM

725 posts, read 883,504 times
Everything seems fine in Texas. People get a long for the most part. Certain races misbehave moreso than others tho

Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM

4,661 posts, read 2,920,489 times
Quote:

There are places in the USA I just want travel to as a result.

Even driving through the USA there are places I just don't feel comfortable stopping in.

By "visible minority" do you mean someone who is obviously a different race than the majority? If so, keep in mind that this will vary from place to place. There are many areas of the US that are overwhelmingly white. There are also quite a few areas that are overwhelmingly black, or overwhelmingly Hispanic, or (to a much lesser extent) overwhelmingly Asian. So if you find yourself in one of those areas and are not of the primary race of that area, you will be a visible minority.

And since you don't consider yourself to be a visible minority, why are you worried about racially based attacks or discrimination against you? If you are not a visible minority, how would the would-be racists know to single you out?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:15 PM

855 posts, read 782,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Talk is

America's race relations problems are real, but the depictions of them in media, especially outside the US, are tabloidal in nature at best, propagandistic at worst.
Yeah, thats generally been my experience as well. I'm technically mixed, but look white. But, I have clearly AA family.

Fortunately, life in the US is nowhere near as crazy on a day to day basis as it can seem based on the news. The other thing to keep in mind is the US is huge compared to Canada, a lot more bad things are going to happen there.

The US has a lot more structural inequality and politics is more racialized than Canada. But on a day to day basis, I dont notice a lot of differences in interpersonal interactions. Both are glass half full/empty situations.

Old 07-11-2018, 03:31 PM

1,546 posts, read 941,103 times
In general, I get 'poorer' service in some areas, yet in others it doesn't matter. Ironically, northside Chicago is my worst experience. I get very straight faced, stern, "order and get out" kind of service. When I was younger I had some issues with being mixed growing up, 1 of 3 mixed/black people in my school. I focused on making my speech "white".

YMMV of course, but for me that portion of Elementary and Junior High School really sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or