Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best of the under-the-radar cities?
Asuncion, Paraguay 1 5.26%
Kaohsiung, Taiwan 3 15.79%
Montevideo, Uruguay 3 15.79%
Sapporo, Japan 10 52.63%
Taichung, Taiwan 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:14 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,954,514 times

Advertisements

Which of these places are the most underrated?

- Asuncion, Paraguay

- Kaohsiung, Taiwan

- Montevideo, Uruguay

- Sapporo, Japan

- Taichung, Taiwan

These are all places that anchor metropolitan areas over 1 million people in their respective countries but they are all also places that hardly get mentioned at all. So needless to say, they're pretty hidden under the general radar. I can understand if there are very few people on this forum with either knowledge or personal experience in these cities as they appear to be quite off the beaten path for most world travelers.

However, any information about them is and will be valuable. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 09:19 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Only been to one, that being Montevideo last year which I liked rather a lot. Safe in comparison to most South American cities, an easy capital to navigate on foot. Rather laid back, but not overly cheap, but thought better steaks there than in BA Argentina, if that helps. Some interesting cultural activities available and Uruguay rather a Progressive country in politics.

AS haven't been to any of the rest, can't comment, but Taiwan cities would certainly be of interest, in a country that have heard very favourable reports on.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:38 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Out of these I’ve only been to Montevideo. While it was a decent place to visit, I think I’d probably rank Kaohsiung highest out of these from a visitor perspective. I think that it arguably wins from a natural scenery standpoint, and from what I understand it is more of a historical center of the island of Taiwan than Taipei is. Thus, I think it would offer the most for visitors like myself. When at a computer, I may try to link some pictures of it but it does look like quite a pretty place.

Old 07-10-2018, 09:54 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
1. Sapporo
2. Taichung
3. Kaohsiung

Never been to the Guays.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:13 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
I thought Asuncion was a wonderful city, easy to get around, friendly, and less third-worldy than you'd expect. By contrast Montevideo pretty much sucked as a city, boring and ugly, although other towns in Uruguay were very nice and livable.

Cities in Taiwan tend to seem horribly overcrowded, Kaohsiung the more so of the two. Never been to Sapporo.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:11 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I haven't been to any of them but I am interested in both Montevideo and Asuncion. You don't really hear about them. I guess no news is good news

Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
I don't know if there's any one thing that is super exciting about Montevideo, but:

-It serves as capital of a country, and a relatively affluent/progressive one by LatAm standards.
-It has some decent historical sites and architecture and cultural venues.
-It has a VERY NICE waterfront, I believe one of the longest urban waterfronts in the world.
-It isn't particularly far removed from a popular beach destination (Punta del Este) or historic site (Colonia del Sacramento)
-No mountains to speak of nearby, but I'm sure they aren't super far by flight, nor is Rio and BsAs.
-It felt relatively safe and comfortable to walk around though it was a bit disconcerting being there on Noche Buena...
-It has a pretty nice climate, and some nice public parks to enjoy it, seems like many citizens are quite active.

Not sure that I'd make a separate trip down there to go see it again, but I think one could have a pretty enjoyable and low key time there if they were looking for a LatAm destination kind of off the beaten path, but cosmopolitan enough due probably to port status (cruise visitors if nothing else), and other visitors stopping through while to and from Punta and BsAs. And, it has good futbol.

Old 07-13-2018, 04:25 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Montevideo is the only one from the list that I woukd have any interest in.

Very good climate, I like the location, also near Buenos Aires.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Should've included Perth as well.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 3 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times
You can never find a map on these happenings. At least very easily. Outside of objective facts. Even when the crowd can agree upon mutual final conclusions. Genius poll starting idea. Voting Kaohsiung Taiwan. Abundant temples, and they have space age dreamy Tuntex Sky Tower. Although, Taichung is comparable identical resembling twin cities status. Extremely close to equal counterpart. After that dividing line, Montevideo Sapporo are in competition. Asuncion Paraguay is dead last. There is ample bountiful variety for additional alternatives. Top 10 Favorites: Batumi Georgia, Kuwait City Kuwait, Lima Peru, Panama City Panama, Baku Azerbaijan, Riga Latvia, Bratislava Slovakia, Timisoara Romania, Casablanca Morocco, Abu Dhabi(NOT Dubai) UAE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World