Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:43 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

The best urban wise in the world and exciting

New York City the never city that never sleeps
Tokyo
Seoul, South Korea
Hong Kong
Singapore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
The best urban wise in the world and exciting

New York City the never city that never sleeps
Tokyo
Seoul, South Korea
Hong Kong
Singapore
They are too big, too crowded, too expensive and therefore nothing but overwhelming.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:30 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
They are too big, too crowded, too expensive and therefore nothing but overwhelming.
Have you been to Tokyo? I think that if you've only been to New York out of that group, you'd be quite surprised by (at least some) of the others. Sure, Tokyo is expensive, but I found a decent AirBNB for under 100$ in Shibuya, and many of the sporting, cultural, etc. attractions were cheap or free. Also, the city is very much not analogous to New York in that while there are many areas of bustling density, it is very organized, and thus, the fact that things happen to congregate around Metro stations gives things, while walkable and convenient, but not necessarily overwhelming compared to many places in the world. In Tokyo, here is the street on which I stayed (less than 10 minutes from Shibuya Station/Crossing)
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6630...7i13312!8i6656
Maybe closed in for tastes, but leafy, and sort of nice.. right?
Then, this is the park that I jogged in, each morning I was there: It has a 19th century shrine that really just has a spiritual feel to it, especially in the morning at 8 when some type of procession takes place. It is only about a 15 minute walk to being well within the park, from my place.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...!4d139.6993259

Certainly, there are crowds, intense ones, at places on the city, particular metro stations and certain shopping streets. But, you also find that people are very polite, and you feel a level of safety that even most places in Europe can't quite offer.

Hong Kong... now that is a city that is intense. Super crowded, fast paced, etc., within the center. I don't think things are particularly expensive there though, in fact I find them to be cheaper than in most places in Europe and even the US for that matter.

Also, once you step out of the urbanity, which starts and ends quickly, you come across some of the most stunning, if not the most, near a major city in the whole world. I attached a picture which shows what I mean. So, so easy to get to outstanding nature here in fact getting to the top of this mountain and then back to hotel was only around a 3 hour round trip hike

Seoul, I don't know much about, but to me it seems like an uber cool place. it certainly is cheaper than at least Tokyo and New York City, Barcelona, and maybe also Hong Kong even, and it has a mix of the things that make each great. The built environment I understand is a bit like Tokyo, though a bit more modern like say Shanghai, with more cafe culture and creative green spaces than either from what I hear, and a mountains and sea combo surrounding it that calls to mind Hong Kong, and the impressive historic structures and traditional culture that one might expect from the central city of an empire.

I'm not saying Barcelona isn't great too, but if you haven't been to the far eastern cities, they may be different from what your impression is. Even New York City, I think can be done on a budget. And you can find places like this there:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7042...7i13312!8i6656 (European aesthetic)

-and-

https://www.google.com/search?q=inwo...yIiQPjpse_lZM: Natural
In Manhattan, no less.

I'd be curious on how the different hotel rates would compare. Barcelona is more tourist laden, so it might be harder to find deals or comparable rates. Again, I really am not positive and don't have that much time to research that, though I think deals can be had, anywhere.

Edit: And not to be a pedant, but:
Barcelona: 41K PSQM
New York City: 27K PSQM
Singapore: 20K PSQM
Hong Kong: 17K PSQM (this one needs the biggest asterisk, though of course as 40% of HK Territory is a National Park with 0 ppl.
Tokyo: 16K PSQM

I'm speaking in jest of course and understand what you mean, but as much as it defies conventional wisdom, in some ways, it's harder to find open quiet space in Barcelona than in any of the other cities. It has plenty of space surrounding it that is open and perhaps as a whole is more leafy than some of the others, but the largest park in it's center is Parc de la Ciutadella is around 70 acres, where most of these other places have at least one park 4-5 times or more that size within its center.
Attached Thumbnails
Is Barcelona the best city in the world?-hk4.jpg  

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 07-17-2018 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-17-2018, 10:32 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I get it, but sometimes you need to break up big cities into little pieces and some cities don't easily offer up their charms, you have to work at it a bit, but it's worth it.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:44 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,661,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I get it, but sometimes you need to break up big cities into little pieces and some cities don't easily offer up their charms, you have to work at it a bit, but it's worth it.
THIS X 100. Of course, everyone's tastes are different and that is a good thing. But, there's something to be said for finding places that aren't necessarily darlings (and even for those who complain about how touristy Barcelona is, getting off the beaten path there, too).

Mexico City and Beijing, which are maligned by a decent number of people, I consider among my absolute favorites.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:41 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Was to Hong Kong and Kowloon for r&r back in the 1960s. Wow what a great city and area.

Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
I like NYC, Hong Kong and London better but everyone has their own list.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:40 AM

4 posts, read 1,960 times
I visited Barcelona, it is a very fantastic place to visit. Our beautiful city, Barcelona, has recently been awarded the eighth place in the international classification of the world’s best city.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:24 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Oh I would like to know a bit of this city. My gf told me it's amazing -thanks to the sea ofc-. For the city itself, I didn't really like Madrid...
Is Barcelona really different than Madrid ? This city a big "unkown" to me, I would like to give it a try for a weekend or 3 days, if it's worth it ..

Old 04-01-2019, 09:39 AM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Oh I would like to know a bit of this city. My gf told me it's amazing -thanks to the sea ofc-. For the city itself, I didn't really like Madrid...
Is Barcelona really different than Madrid ? This city a big "unkown" to me, I would like to give it a try for a weekend or 3 days, if it's worth it ..
I would think that anybody who lives in the heart of Europe would want to visit all the major cities within a thousand mile radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World