Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 07:18 AM

237 posts, read 871,135 times

Advertisements

half the population is riding around in 100 thousand vehicles while the other half is living in cardboard boxes. ethnically diverse yes but the diversity is in the peasant workers. attitude needs to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:09 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,339,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I think that Sana'a is probably one of the more beautiful middle eastern cities, does anyone know if it's still standing, there is currently a civil war in Yemen.
Sana'a certainly looks stunning. One of the most unbelievable places in the world in terms of architecture

Old 07-31-2018, 02:09 PM

725 posts, read 806,533 times
Dubai is a manufactured city specifically for tourism and to attract rich foreign residents and investments. What you get is large shopping malls, indoor skiing, the tallest building in the world and things like the Atlantis and palm tree island. It’s nice to see luxury and richness. Safety is a main selling point as it is western oriented much more than many middle eastern countries. If you want history and historical sites you have to go elsewhere but face higher risks of crime and violence. If you are in Dubai take the day trip to see the mosque in Abu Dhabi.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM

27,613 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
If you are in Dubai take the day trip to see the mosque in Abu Dhabi.
Yeah, my buddy in Dubai tells me to do the same thing.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:29 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,689,567 times
You have to keep your expectations realistic. A place that was literally a tiny trading post 20 years ago is not going to have a ton of character to it, it just isn’t. But does it have an impressive modern skyline? Yes. Does it have good shopping and dining options and a number of other entertainment based attractions? Yes. Does it have some historic souq areas on its outskirts and in surrounding area)? Yes. Is it a safe, clean and comfortable place to explore, and easy to get around by various means of transit? Yes. Is service highly valued, does it have great and welcoming spa centers, hotels? Yes. Is it right by a big body of water where it has great and clean beaches too? Yes. Does it have 5000+ ft. mountains within a 50 Mile Range? Yes. Is it dry and not filled with trees, maybe but is the desert surrounding it unique for anywhere esp. a major world city? Yes.

It’s certainly not the first place I’d choose to visit and it might not even be in the Top 10. But considering all I mentioned, it’s a place I think one could find a number of ways to enjoy themselves, though. And as much as I love historic preservation and architecture/cities, the criticism doesn’t make sense here because there isn’t a city in the world that can necessarily add new character filled buildings that are prob desired because buildings simply weren’t built in that manner anymore following WWII. Anywhere.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:47 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 15 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,929,483 times
Reputation is just unheard of for any other city. There is no other equivalent parallel. To the point of probably ending up overrated. While I am a very passionate enthusiastic fan to visit, appropriately rather embrace Doha Qatar, Kuwait City Kuwait, Abu Dhabi UAE, Manama Bahrain among hypnotic allure focus. Even Casablanca Morocco, Istanbul Turkey, Beirut Lebanon, Baku Azerbaijan, Tehran Iran, Astana, Almaty Kazakhstan, Cairo, Alexandria Egypt, Muscat Oman correctly qualify in relatively mystical unknowns when comparing the entire factual claims endless observations to Dubai.

Real Honest Opinions To The Audience? Is Doha Qatar of those two videos, and Kuwait in search engine browser technically superior magnificent to you in conjunction with Dubai UAE?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEda...ature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAL2kpRpDI

https://www.google.com/search?q=Kuwa...w=1346&bih=695

Old 08-02-2018, 05:20 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,646,176 times
I am in Dubai about half a dozen times a year on business. I feel safe there traveling by myself and I am always treated very professionally. I have gotten some great clothing and art bargains there (in spite of the high prices) and some very good meals. I always enjoy myself but I stick to the air conditioned places!

Old 08-03-2018, 09:14 AM

27,613 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
I always enjoy myself but I stick to the air conditioned places!
Yes, you can't walk outside more than a few minutes in the summer heat.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:44 PM

6 posts, read 4,424 times
Dubai is a beautiful city and offers a number of tourist places that must be visited by those who seek adventure and fun on their exploration journey. However, my personal favourite activites are desert safari and dhow cruise marina which gives exhilarating experience.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,026,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I don't know when NYC used to be a cookie cutter city, at least not in any of our lifetimes.
I think one can say, that was never the case.

As for the OP's beautiful Dubai - as a thread, it was destined to not go so well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World