Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:23 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times

Advertisements

I wonder which city in the world has the largest number of individual units of elevators (lifts) installed and working.

Is there a ranking of that anywhere?

My guess is that Sao Paulo, in Brazil, is at the top of the world ranking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 10:30 AM

4,096 posts, read 3,720,875 times
If someone takes the time out to actually measure/investigate this they must lead a very sad existence.

Does anybody really care?

Old 07-24-2018, 12:14 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,784,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
If someone takes the time out to actually measure/investigate this they must lead a very sad existence.

Does anybody really care?
Well, there are statistics available about almost anything, I don't see why there wouldn't exist about elevators. I guess that's important data for the electric motors industry.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:16 PM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Hong Kong has the most skyscrapers in the world.

So, I imagine it would have the most elevators/lifts.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:34 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times
Ask Otis Elevator or ThyssenKrupp

Old 07-24-2018, 08:27 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Sao Paulo isn't a bad guess. That said, it is a quite difficult thing to measure, as there's so many intangibles including number of elevators in a single building, whether said building has elevators at all, etc.

Hong Kong has more skyscrapers exceeding 500' than any other city in the world, that fact is well established.
Wikipedia isn't perhaps the absolute best source, but still, I can find:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...st_skyscrapers
1. Hong Kong
2. New York City
3. Shenzhen
4. Dubai
5. Wuhan
6. Shanghai
7. Tokyo
8. Guangzhou
9. Chicago
10. Bangkok

Your question may be near impossible to answer even if we did have exactly present measures on which number of buildings were currently being built, a list which is of course constantly evolving.

The list of total highrises in a city however, I think is even near impossible to answer, and constantly evolving. I just don't think there is generally an accurate list out there. This is the closest list we have, but while I don't necessarily think any places are overrepresented (though they could be depending on how city and highrise are defined), I do think there are a fair amount of places underrepresented (Beijing, for instance)

That list though, according to Wikipedia (and I think looking at sheer number of highrises is perhaps more noteworthy here:
1. Seoul
2. Moscow
3. Hong Kong
4. Sao Paulo
5. New York City
6. Busan (whoever is reporting for SK is clearly doing thorough work, as both top Korean cities make the Top 10)
7. Singapore
8. Incheon (Also South Korea)
9. Taipei
10. Daegu (Also South Korea)

Again, I'm not saying these aren't huge cities with a great number of highrises. I'm just saying I don't necessarily buy all of them being in the Top 10 with a number no Mainland Chinese, Japanese cities, Mexico City, etc. being significantly down the list. I mean, does Caracas REALLY have nearly 3 times the number of highrises that Mexico City does? I find that claim dubious.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Probably Hong Kong...

Old 07-25-2018, 04:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
https://www.freedoniagroup.com/pdf/2216smwe.pdf

Old 07-25-2018, 04:21 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Probably Hong Kong...
Anyone else want to comment/help me out with my understanding of the list of full highrises, as opposed to just elevators? Would Seoul and Moscow really top the list?

By your username I see that you are from Southeast Asia so you probably know more than me, that said I find it difficult to believe that HK would be highest straight up here. Of course, it has more highrises (500+) than any other city, and the way those and all the smaller ones line up from above is just astounding. That said, I would think that Tokyo, a city of 38M (if measured in that way), would overall have more, even in it's sub 10 story modest sized spots, than HK which while as dynamically urban as anywhere (way more of an consistently intense urban feel than Tokyo or Beijing), only has a population itself of 7M.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:31 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,497,346 times
in some cities virtually anything starting at about 30-50m and up would have an elevator, so thats the sort of height you would need as a base I'd lean more towards a city like Seoul which is jam packed full of appartment buildings in the 50-100m range over Hong kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World