U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "American Riviera" vs French Riviera
"American Riviera" 5 12.20%
French Riviera 28 68.29%
I like them both -- tie 7 17.07%
I don't like either -- tie 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:14 PM

4,779 posts, read 7,501,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Perspective is amazing. As a resident of San Diego, I've never thought of Socal as a riviera LOL Maybe Santa Barbara but that's it.
I don't live in San Diego, but I also never equated Southern California as the 'American Riviera.' I think South Florida takes the cake on that one. People actually fly to South Florida for its beaches, but I don't think the beaches are the main attraction for visitors in Southern California.

I focus on the beaches because that's the main attraction in rivieras. At least that's the case in the French Riviera, the Spanish Riviera (also known as Costa del Sol, which is the beach playground of Europe), and the Italian Riviera (which is around the Amalfi Coast area, although the traditional Italian Riviera is along the northwestern coast around Genova down to Portofino and vicinity.) Its also the case in South Florida, especially from Miami Beach up to Palm Beach.

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-05-2018 at 11:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 08:55 AM

6,314 posts, read 1,747,973 times
I’m in Santa Barbara right now and it’s gorgeous.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:50 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,905,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Perspective is amazing. As a resident of San Diego, I've never thought of Socal as a riviera LOL Maybe Santa Barbara but that's it.

Yup. We have the elites in the mansions by the sea but they are more nouveau riche than a place like the Riviera with its old school lingering European aristocracy.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 AM

2,045 posts, read 2,493,083 times
This one's not close imo. French Riviera by a landslide.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:13 PM

16,144 posts, read 21,401,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I don't live in San Diego, but I also never equated Southern California as the 'American Riviera.' I think South Florida takes the cake on that one. People actually fly to South Florida for its beaches, but I don't think the beaches are the main attraction for visitors in Southern California.

I focus on the beaches because that's the main attraction in rivieras. At least that's the case in the French Riviera, the Spanish Riviera (also known as Costa del Sol, which is the beach playground of Europe), and the Italian Riviera (which is around the Amalfi Coast area, although the traditional Italian Riviera is along the northwestern coast around Genova down to Portofino and vicinity.) Its also the case in South Florida, especially from Miami Beach up to Palm Beach.
Exactly as well as the Mexican Riviera with Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco. Or the Mayan Riviera with Cancun. Southern California is no where near to being on that level.

Old 08-06-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yup. We have the elites in the mansions by the sea but they are more nouveau riche than a place like the Riviera with its old school lingering European aristocracy.
True. I was just saying that in California, it's the closest we could ever come. We have nothing on the French, Italian, Spanish, or Mexican rivieras. In a true riviera, you can relax on the beach with your favorite cocktail or whatever. Alcohol is banned on most CA beaches and many are state and federal beaches so there are other things that are restricted.

Old 08-06-2018, 01:08 PM

18,026 posts, read 17,167,297 times
I've only been to southern CA one time but I didn't like it. Santa Barbara is probably the exception to what the rest of southern CA is like--what little I saw of Santa Barbara, I liked.

So I'd take the French if I had the choice.

(I have been to the so-called English riviera on the south coast of England in Devon and that is gorgeous and the weather is pretty good in summer--70s and pleasant. Palm trees, flowers, beaches with turquoise water, shopping, wonderful food, history, nature, etc. but it is so nice that it's crowded and some has been spoiled by the tourism.)

Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 PM

I will add that within California, Santa Barbara is not usually considered part of Southern California.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:18 PM

6,314 posts, read 1,747,973 times
Being in Santa Barbara right now in the summer I’ve noticed a lot of European tourists (mainly French, Dutch, German, and some Scandinavian types.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:02 PM

17,604 posts, read 3,567,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Climate is the only factor where American Riviera wins. French Riviera wins in every other category hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or