Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: "American Riviera" vs French Riviera
"American Riviera" 9 14.52%
French Riviera 41 66.13%
I like them both -- tie 10 16.13%
I don't like either -- tie 2 3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2018, 04:23 PM

401 posts, read 649,481 times

Advertisements

not really comparable IMO, Southern California is much bigger, much bigger cities, more internationnal etc

French riviera population: ~1M (not counting Marseilles since it is not part of it)
Southern Cali: 20M

Nice is the biggest and best city of the French riviera, Cannes is fine but not too special, then there is Antibes (where I live, nice small city), Monaco (Monte Carlo is just a neighborhood FYI) is disappointing really, not much to see or do there, only worth half a day max
Then there is Saint Tropez, which is pretty and fairly popular among rich people

On the other hand Southern Cali has LA (disappointing city for still offers a lot of things to do, much more so than any city in the French riviera), San Diego, Santa Barbara which I found not too special but we did not spend too much time there so maybe we missed the best part

I wouldnt know what to vote really, it's basically like comparing Florence to Paris, they're not on the same scale
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 09:03 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryever View Post
not really comparable IMO, Southern California is much bigger, much bigger cities, more internationnal etc

French riviera population: ~1M (not counting Marseilles since it is not part of it)
Southern Cali: 20M

Nice is the biggest and best city of the French riviera, Cannes is fine but not too special, then there is Antibes (where I live, nice small city), Monaco (Monte Carlo is just a neighborhood FYI) is disappointing really, not much to see or do there, only worth half a day max
Then there is Saint Tropez, which is pretty and fairly popular among rich people

On the other hand Southern Cali has LA (disappointing city for still offers a lot of things to do, much more so than any city in the French riviera), San Diego, Santa Barbara which I found not too special but we did not spend too much time there so maybe we missed the best part

I wouldnt know what to vote really, it's basically like comparing Florence to Paris, they're not on the same scale
While Santa Barbara would be the only place that can come close to being a riviera, it's not really Southern California but is considered Central Coast.
In fact, the Central Coast as a whole is much more riviera like than Southern California. The population is also more comparable at around 2.3 million rather than 20 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Coast_(California)

Old 08-28-2018, 12:37 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
The French Riviera by a large margin.

California is fine, and the coastal drive beautiful, but it lacks the ambience, and beautiful towns in France. Winter weather may be nicer in San Diego than Nice, but my trips to France are in the summer.

Plus the food. So much easier to eat well in France than in California.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:45 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Climate is the only factor where American Riviera wins. French Riviera wins in every other category hands down.

Is LA really called the American Riviera? Who decided that??

Old 08-28-2018, 11:14 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
No comparison. French Riviera is much more beautiful.

Old 08-29-2018, 04:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
French Riviera (all the more including that dump of a city that is Marseilles) is a long concrete block packed to the seams with tourists in the summer. There is so little room that Monaco has to build on polders on the sea. How can one find it pleasant is beyond me. What's funny is that most Frenchmen dream to go to Malibu, Sta Barbara, Sta Monica and San Diego that are mythical destinations for them (Baywatch), however they ridicule the French Riviera, in these popular films :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mY5TVYVM3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-9zDsky08c

Old 06-01-2020, 03:55 PM

136 posts, read 123,582 times
I live on the American Riviera, a block from the Pacific, on a cliff, and, although it's a beautiful coastline, I prefer the Cote d'Azur. Better food, better culture, prettier architecture, more history, the option to go to Italy or down to the Catalan coast of Spain (Costa Brava), prettier and more charming towns both coastal and inland.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:20 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times
Santa Barbara is leagues better than anyone city or place in the french riviera.

Better architecture, less crowded, better nature, better weather, etc.

Only thing south France has is better sea water.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:26 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
French Riviera by a wide margin. France is France while Los Angeles and environs are, well... in California.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:43 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
The American riviera has milder winters, but the water remains chilly in the summer, right ? I'd rather swim in warmer water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World