U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 AM

3,748 posts, read 1,973,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farinello View Post
Overseas means beyond the pond.
So then Algeria was never a French Colony, Morocco never a Spanish Colony, and Libya never an Italian Colony?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 03:47 PM

626 posts, read 228,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Pretty much, especially if you are wiping the slate clean and developing new cities from scratch and populating them with your own people. By definition that would be colonization and to me a colony is a piece of land that has been colonized. I know that technically a colony is some political term for a country that has no home rule and are completely in the control of a distant country, but to me that type of definition is extremely narrow, and I imagine it was agreed upon so that land empires such as the US, Canada, China, Russia/USSR etc. didn’t have to abandon their colonies while the world was going through decolonization.

And actually I would argue that California and the like are more of a colony in the traditional sense than most of the African colonies since the US actually populated California with Americans, where as Africa’s indigenous population still remains pretty intact with few Europeans living there except South Africa and maybe a few costal settlements here and there. Africa was subjugated, but not sure if I would call it colonized.
Based on this logic, every part of the world is a colony. They say mankind originated in eastern Africa, from there (and later from Europe) man colonized the entire African continent, the Middle East, Europe, Asia, the Pacific, the Americas. Muslim North Africans, South Asians and Middle Easterners are now colonizing Europe. Catholic and Protestant Central Americans are now colonizing the U.S.... it's been going on since the beginning of time. It'll be going on until the end of time. Still, countries have the right to police their borders and a wall with Mexico may not be a bad idea.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:12 AM

10,337 posts, read 11,980,705 times
Quote:
Overseas means beyond the pond.
Where is beyond the pond for French Polynesia?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM

16,246 posts, read 21,763,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ner View Post
Still, countries have the right to police their borders and a wall with Mexico may not be a bad idea.
And so it begins

Old 08-16-2018, 05:20 AM

8 posts, read 2,901 times
US, France, UK and the Netherlands are the only countries left that still have colonies I believe. These are all located in the Caribbean.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 AM

506 posts, read 177,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
So then Algeria was never a French Colony, Morocco never a Spanish Colony, and Libya never an Italian Colony?
As I recall, Algeria was a departament, Morocco was a protectorate and Libya...I don't recall..

Old 08-16-2018, 06:32 AM

506 posts, read 177,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Where is beyond the pond for French Polynesia?
Pacific is ultramar, outremer?

Old 08-17-2018, 02:30 PM

10,337 posts, read 11,980,705 times
Quote:
Pacific is ultramar, outremer?
That was not my question

Old 08-17-2018, 04:58 PM

4,666 posts, read 2,456,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
So then, the land Germany, Austria and England are on would be colonies by your um..."unique" definition as those lands were inhabited by Celtic people before them and they likely took the land from someone else. So I guess the Basque country is a colony? Most of the Balkans would be a colony as the Slavs that live there now are not the original people.

The things we learn on City-Data LOL
The definition of colony.
"a country or area under the full or partial political control of another country, typically a distant one, and occupied by settlers from that country."

So, yes, the US colonized the western part of the United States. The 13 colonies were a colony of Great Britain until they revolted creating a new independent country. When the United States starting expanding, it was colonizing, whether through purchase from other countries or through annexation. Those regions are no longer colonies as they are now integral parts of the United States. When does a colony become integral, I will say thats blurry. But, once a territory or colony becomes developed enough and starts to be represented in the national government, I would say its likely an integral part of the country. That does not necessarily mean there is not some self-ruled nationalist movement. Go to a country like Spain, and many regions have nationalist movements to break away from Spain.

In the modern world, there are not very many colonies left. For example, I would not consider Reunion a colony. It is a French island off the SE coast of Africa. The inhabitants are all French (not ethnically, but nationally) and have representation in the French government. Guam on the other hand, could be considered a colony and most consider it so. It has no representation in the US government despite everyone there being US citizens, so it does not have full self control. It is still heavily governed from the US mainland and has no say in some matters. The same is true for all US territories, they do not have equal rights in the US government.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 PM

6,891 posts, read 9,575,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesXII View Post
US, France, UK and the Netherlands are the only countries left that still have colonies I believe. These are all located in the Caribbean.
Nah, in addition to these countries, there are quite a number of others.

Spain for instance still has colonies on the coast of Morocco. In turn, Morocco is occupying the Western Sahara (the former Spanish Sahara).

Portugal and Spain still have islands that are pretty far away from the main part of the country. For instance, there is almost a thousand miles between Portugal and the Azores.

Russia could be said to have a extensive number of colonies, depending on how liberal we want to be with the word "colony". Some might say Kaliningrad for instance or perhaps Crimea. And then there are a number of "independent republics" that are occupied by the Russian army and really belong to Moldova and Georgia.

Denmark controls Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

Turkey is occupying North Cyprus and refuses to recognize Kurdish culture within Turkey.

Norway has overseas territories, some of which are close enough to Norway to say they are not colonies, but I do not see how anyone could say that Norway's claims in and around Antarctica are not colonial. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ions_of_Norway

Regarding Antarctica, in addition to Britain, France and Norway, Argentina, Chile, New Zealand and Australia all have claims. Brazil and the United States have stated their right to make claims in the future (and the US already has solid claims to Marie Byrd Land).

Chile, Australia, Ecuador, India, South Africa and perhaps others all have islands far enough away from the mainland that they might be considered colonial - again depending on what your definition of colonial is.

Japan also has overseas islands, some of them a fair distance offshore and the Ryukyu Islands (including Okinawa) used to an independent nation for hundreds of years. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryukyu_Kingdom

Yemen currently owns the Socotra islands which are also claimed by Somali and used to be controlled by the Omani Empire.

And finally we come to the nation which is actually building new colonies in the 21st century....China.
Using its claims to basically the entire South China Sea, China is building entire artifical islands in order to enforce its claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or