U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 05:24 AM

3,443 posts, read 2,818,989 times

Advertisements

This thread is meant to be totally subjective. These are the regions I'm using but if you want to broaden or highlight more regions, I don't mind. I won't bog down your creativity with a population minimum, just as long as the cities you choose are important in some way (whether that be tourism, being economically strong, or significant to it's country). Debate Away.

North America- Savannah
South America- Rio de Janeiro
Western Europe- Oslo
Eastern Europe- Istanbul
Middle East- Jerusalem
Asia- Singapore
Northern Africa- Melilla
Sub-Saharan Africa- Cape Town
Australia/Oceania- Wellington or Perth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 06:12 AM
BMI

6,521 posts, read 3,792,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
This thread is meant to be totally subjective. These are the regions I'm using but if you want to broaden or highlight more regions, I don't mind. I won't bog down your creativity with a population minimum, just as long as the cities you choose are important in some way (whether that be tourism, being economically strong, or significant to it's country). Debate Away.

North America- Savannah
South America- Rio de Janeiro
Western Europe- Oslo
Eastern Europe- Istanbul
Middle East- Jerusalem
Asia- Singapore
Northern Africa- Melilla
Australia/Oceania- Wellington or Perth
North America.....Quebec City
South America ....Rio de Janeiro
Western Europe....Stockholm
Eastern Europe....Prague
Middle East....?
Asia...Singapore
Northern Africa....?
Sub-Saharan Africa....Cape Town
Australia/Oceania....Sydney

Old 08-06-2018, 06:13 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,409,138 times
I’m going to put cities I have been to on each continent.

North America- Miami Beach/Miami metro area
Western Europe- Orange, France
Eastern Europe- Istanbul (most gorgeous in be world)
Middle East- Dubai
Sub-Saharan Africa- Abuja

Old 08-06-2018, 06:30 AM

343 posts, read 298,003 times
North America - Québec
South America - Montevideo
Western Europe - Salamanca
Eastern Europe - St Petersburg
Middle East - Sana’a
Asia - Pyongyang
Northern Africa - Marrakech
Sub-saharan Africa - Zanzibar
Australia/Oceania - Auckland

Old 08-06-2018, 07:54 AM

8,621 posts, read 2,909,496 times
North America - Charleston, South Carolina or Savannah, Georgia

South America - Valparaíso, Chile or Lima, Peru

Western Europe - Venice or Florence

Eastern Europe - Prague

Middle East - Beirut

Asia - Kyoto, Japan

Southern Africa - Cape Town

Australia/Oceania - Cairns

Old 08-06-2018, 01:05 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,577,744 times
Most Aesthetically Beautiful Built:
North America: Guanajuato
South America: Cusco
Europe: Dubrovnik
Africa: Chefchaouen
Asia: Jerusalem
(Far East): Kyoto
Oceania: Canberra

Most Beautiful Natural Setting
North America: Vancouver (1), México City (2), Los Angeles (3)
South America: Lima (1), Santiago (2), Rio de Janeiro (3)
Europe: Nice (1), Naples (2) Milan (3)
Africa: Cape Town (1), Nairobi (2), Marrakech (3)
Asia: Hong Kong (1), Tokyo (2), Kathmandu (3)
Oceania: Auckland (1), Sydney (2), Brisbane (3)

Old 08-06-2018, 08:35 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,577,305 times
North America- New York
South America- Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires
Western Europe- Paris
Eastern Europe- Prague or Budapest
Middle East- Ankara
Asia- Osaka
Northern Africa- Algiers
Australia/Oceania- Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Most Beautiful Natural Setting
North America: Vancouver (1), México City (2), Los Angeles (3)
South America: Lima (1), Santiago (2), Rio de Janeiro (3)
Europe: Nice (1), Naples (2) Milan (3)
Africa: Cape Town (1), Nairobi (2), Marrakech (3)
Asia: Hong Kong (1), Tokyo (2), Kathmandu (3)
Oceania: Auckland (1), Sydney (2), Brisbane (3)
Interesting. They say to each his own for a reason.

Last edited by marlaver; 08-06-2018 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 09:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 1,246,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post

The Porteño doth protest too much.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:45 AM

893 posts, read 540,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
North America - Charleston, South Carolina or Savannah, Georgia

South America - Valparaíso, Chile or Lima, Peru

Western Europe - Venice or Florence

Eastern Europe - Prague

Middle East - Beirut

Asia - Kyoto, Japan

Southern Africa - Cape Town

Australia/Oceania - Cairns
I agree with you 100% on that; it's only competitor in my view would be Hobart

Old 08-07-2018, 04:47 AM

3,464 posts, read 2,577,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
North America- New York
South America- Rio de Janeiro or Buenos Aires
Western Europe- Paris
Eastern Europe- Prague or Budapest
Middle East- Ankara
Asia- Osaka
Northern Africa- Algiers
Australia/Oceania- Sydney

Of course, I haven't been to Lima yet, but this is based on pictures, but also just purely based on stats, as it takes the subjectivity out of the discussion. If I'm thinking about Lima in an empirical sense, we have:

Coast: Immediately Present (within 5 miles), and it is known for being excellent for paragliding, and some of the world's best urban surf (it's rugged, and has several hundred foot cliffs which helps, too.
Desert: The world's second largest desert city. There really aren't that many major cities in the world located in deserts period. Add to that the fact that the desert happens to be the Atacama (perhaps one of the world's most scenic, with stunning landscapes within a few hours, and that adds to this element).
Parks: I remember reading somewhere that Lima, in spite of it's desert condition is so known for it's leafy parks and boulevards that one of it's primary nicknames references that (something like city of a hundred parks or something). I looked, and in spite of the desert surroundings, it's true in a way at least. Look at Parque Armenariz, Parque de las Leyendas, Parque de la Reserva, and for the areas east and south of Miraflores especially there literally are hundreds of green dots, parkways, etc. I'm sure there are places much greener, but considering the other natural elements, I think it's impressive nonetheless.
Biodiversity: Maybe not a world capital of this, but at same time, just by the very nature of it's latitude (12* S), it's going to be more biodiverse than a fair number of places. Add to that all the other elements of it's natural surroundings (and land and sea diversity), and it's going to be up there in that regard for the whole world. Just as an example, there's an island out at sea, called Isla San Lorenzo, just a few minutes out which is home to penguin colonies. Now, I've seen penguins before, but I don't care, that's just.. cool.
Mountains: Now, I think the two things that would limit Lima here would be (A): the human pollution taking away from natural appeal potentially, and (B): that it's natural amenities aren't quite human friendly in the way American national parks are (?) You don't hear a ton about mountain hiking from Lima. But yet, within 50 miles of it's city center, nearly at sea level, you have 16,483' (5,024 m) of relief/variance. There are few places which can say that in the world period. Frankly though, the only coastal area that seems more dramatic in this way is the northern tip of Colombia, near Santa Marta which I also want to check out. I'd have to think there's some impressive stuff to check out that isn't too far based upon that alone.
Location: Even if you can't find superlative mountains within Lima, I'm sure you can in a short flight. Same goes for desert (Caracol Ruin Site, Huacachina Oasis, and Islas Ballestas (the Peruvian Galapagos), are within a few hours drive). Iquitos, the most acclaimed base town for trekking the Amazon is within a two hour flight, as is Cusco, and Guayaquil, gateway to the Galapagos. So, basically no matter what you're looking for, it's within that range.
Climate: Lima's nickname is "Lima the Grey", and I can see where that could be hard to deal with at times. At the same time, I do appreciate that part of the reason for that is the natural scenery the region is blessed, or cursed with. To balance it out though, you do have a >65<80 climate range for highs year round, which not too many cities have.

So, it's possible that in going there, the reality I'd find with the scenery would be disappointing, but just based on what I've found so far, I could have a really good time even with knowing it's unpleasant elements. South American, even Latin American major cities in general seem to have a knack for being around stunning nature. In a hypothetical top 10 of major cities of the world in this regard, I could see as many as 5 (Rio de Janeiro, Bogota, Lima, Santiago, Mexico City) making the cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or