U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 03:35 PM

1,347 posts, read 557,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Off the top of my head these are things that are British but not necessarily Western -

Tea culture
Pub culture
Drinking culture that favor strong liquor
Cricket
Sense of humor

I can see a small island nation importing these out of admiration, but more of these can't be easily transferred without taking the people too.
Sense of humor? or the lack thereof...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 11:18 PM

5,843 posts, read 6,924,497 times
Hawaii....It has a strong Anglo culture being colonized and annexed by an Anglo nation (USA) and you could make the argument that it is not in “the west”. It is traditionaly connected to Polynesia and the Pacific island culture. Pacific Island culture now exist side by side with American Anglophone culture. While the USA was part of the British empire, Hawaii was not. In fact it was an independent Kingdom until the 1890s.

I also like the poster who suggested Singapore. Obviously it was part of the British empire but it is clearly not a western place and a lot of British culture still exists there.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:53 AM

503 posts, read 411,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
South to me....then again...everyplace is south to me in Canada
It depends on where you live in Canada. There are some places in Canada (Southern parts, where most cities are) that are south to northern parts of Spain.

Old 08-21-2018, 04:50 AM

131 posts, read 22,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I'm only responding to the Op's question, and the op was emphasizing Anglo/northern culture, as opposed to the southern/Mediterranean culture that countries such as Spain belong too.

"Are there any countries, regions or cities outside of the West and former British Empire with a strong anglo-saxon or Northern European culture? If so, where?"

Also many people view Latin America to be a bit separate from the west since they have a lot of the indigenous cultures infused into them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_world

We are talking about culture, as to Western Culture, not race.
Latin America belongs to the western culture. Christian, Latin based languages and European based cultures.
The same there are many Commonwealth countries that are infused with English culture.
The Americans are always obsessed by race, when the mutts the call white are about to become a minority.

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; 08-21-2018 at 04:59 AM..

Old 08-21-2018, 07:34 AM

3,602 posts, read 1,812,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
We are talking about culture, as to Western Culture, not race.
Latin America belongs to the western culture. Christian, Latin based languages and European based cultures.
The same there are many Commonwealth countries that are infused with English culture.
The Americans are always obsessed by race, when the mutts the call white are about to become a minority.
So what is your opinion on how to categorize eastern Europe, Caucuses, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Philippines?

You can be Christian and speak a Latin based language and still be considered outside of the west, for instance Romania.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
So what is your opinion on how to categorize eastern Europe, Caucuses, Sub-Saharan Africa and the Philippines?

You can be Christian and speak a Latin based language and still be considered outside of the west, for instance Romania.
Romania and the rest of Eastern Europe (including european Russia) is only outside the west in the context of the Cold War or its adherence to the Eastern Orthodox Church. It is still clearly part of western civilization. Outside “the west” means Africa, Middle East or Asia. It means a non European based culture.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Romania and the rest of Eastern Europe (including european Russia) is only outside the west in the context of the Cold War or its adherence to the Eastern Orthodox Church. It is still clearly part of western civilization. Outside “the west” means Africa, Middle East or Asia. It means a non European based culture.
So why isn't Siberia part of your definition of western civilization? Slavs make up over 80% of the Siberian population and many of the indigenous population has become russified and adopted the orthodox faith, though many have also remained shamanistic or Buddhist.

That being said I looked at the wiki pages of other languages, and most of them put Latin America in a special category, and non of them consider Russia part of the Western world.

German / Italian / English

French

Spanish

Russian

I think the reason why most other people are reluctant to put Latin america squarely into the west is because Latin America has a rich history and culture that is a bit isolated from the rest of western Europe. And then some others only view some Latin Americans as western (those in the far south) while the ones further north are more of a quasi western.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
So why isn't Siberia part of your definition of western civilization? Slavs make up over 80% of the Siberian population and many of the indigenous population has become russified and adopted the orthodox faith, though many have also remained shamanistic or Buddhist.

That being said I looked at the wiki pages of other languages, and most of them put Latin America in a special category, and non of them consider Russia part of the Western world.

German / Italian / English

French

Spanish

Russian

I think the reason why most other people are reluctant to put Latin america squarely into the west is because Latin America has a rich history and culture that is a bit isolated from the rest of western Europe. And then some others only view some Latin Americans as western (those in the far south) while the ones further north are more of a quasi western.
I would consider Siberia and eastern Russia mixed western and eastern culture. As far as Latin America goes it is a European based society, no doubt in my opinion that its part of western civilization.

I also looked at wiki to make sure I was right and they did cite Slavic culture and Eastern Orthodox Christianity as part of western civilization. I believe the Cold War has been responsible for confusion between the West and East. European civilization is “the west” to the rest of the world. Obviously that includes the Americas and Australia as they are extensions of European civilization.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would consider Siberia and eastern Russia mixed western and eastern culture. As far as Latin America goes it is a European based society, no doubt in my opinion that its part of western civilization.
Well I created a thread to further discuss this subject if you wish to participate since I think we are derailing this thread.
What do you consider to be part of the western world?

Old 08-21-2018, 10:37 AM

4,776 posts, read 7,499,422 times
People are basing their opinions on this based on what's on Wikipedia. LOL

I remember when I was a college student. The professors made it very clear that if it was discovered that any student used Wikipedia as a source for their essays/projects/thesis/etc, they would receive an automatic F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or