Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 06:09 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Bogota is a fertile breeding ground for Anglo culture appropriation. From drinking tea between 3-5pm to Turkey roast a lot of this has its origins in the 7,000+ British and Irish legion that fought for Colombian independence.
wot. Pretty much nobody drinks tea here.

Quote:
Many bogotanos without knowing it have more British or Irish ancestry than they do Spanish, usually a fifth or a quarter in heritage.
[source required]

British pop music is popular all over the urban areas of the World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:14 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,723,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joacocanal View Post
wot. Pretty much nobody drinks tea here.
Yes, I forgot to cite that this is a lost tradition post 1948 and post coffee boom of the 1960's.

Post 48 because of that fateful day when Bogota's bourgeois class faded into the background after the notorious 'Bogotazo' riots. My great aunt married into a rich Bogota family and she would always tell me about how they used to keep 'La hora del té' (tea time) and would frequently go to the now demolished Granada Hotel for high tea. I have printed pictures somewhere I'll see if I can scan them and upload. Also the coffee boom of the 50's & 60's nailed the final coffin in that Bogota tradition.

A LA HORA DEL TE | EL TIEMPO

Quote:
[source required]

British pop music is popular all over the urban areas of the World.
Of the few Colombia DNA result videos online, all have more British & Irish ancestry than Spanish ancestry specifically when we refer to people from Bogota. This is not a coincidence. Do you know how many illegitimate children those 7,000+ men from Britain & Ireland during a decade of battles?
We're only just beginning to re-discover this heritage hence why I said many people have Anglo/Celtic ancestry in Colombia (specifically Bogota predominantly) without even knowing - see how surprised the people in the videos are!! Bogota even has a hidden British cemetery which is under lock and key in the city's main Central Cemetery. I'm sure you'll agree this is particularly interesting and it would be enlightening to have more research done into this.

Main DNA breakdowns vs Spanish
66% Native American, 15% British/Irish, 0% Spanish

Note: Video only available on youtube - follow the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5HwP8COE-Y
49% Native American, 18% British/Irish, 12% Spanish

45% Native American, 25% British/Irish, 13% Spanish

From what I've seen Bogotanos tend to have even more (twice as much on average) British/Irish ancestry than Euskadis i.e. people from the Basque country which settled mainly in the Medellin region of the country in the 1700's.

As for British music, agreed its a worldwide phenomenon but there's no denying Bogota is a 'Rock town', therefore the following for Brit-rock is stronger than many other cities around the world and most outside the west for sure.

Last edited by Pueblofuerte; 09-13-2018 at 09:34 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM

I also forgot to mention a completely different and independent branch of Anglo culture in Colombia. There is one region in Colombia where English is an official language, the San Andres and Old Providence archipelago. This area in the Caribbean sea was founded by English Puritans in 1631 and the protestant religion, Anglo-Caribbean colonial architecture, old English folk and language still survive through their descendants and the descendent of their West African slaves.

San Andres & Old Providence
Colombia

San Andres English Creole

source: UNPeriodico: UNPeriodico

Iglesia Bautista y Mirador – San Andrés Islas by Mario Carvajal, on Flickr

San Andres Panoramio 24297572 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

SAN ANDRES ISLAS (COL) by AVM608, on Flickr

art house, San Andres Island by Juan, on Flickr

IMG_1006 2 by Bharat, on Flickr

Providencia 2013 / Part 2 by Juan Madrigal, on Flickr

Hotel Acuario by andresr.mac, on Flickr

IMG_5124 by Bharat, on Flickr

casa_museo1 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

SAN ANDRÉS by *Iván Erre Jota*, on Flickr

37588424 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

130718609 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

la-loma-san-andrés-5 by Pueblo Fuerte, on Flickr

Old 09-14-2018, 07:36 AM

A blog on how Britain was crucial in forming Colombia...

Mike's Bogota Blog: How Britain Created Colombia

Old 09-14-2018, 03:19 PM

881 posts, read 922,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Of the few Colombia DNA result videos online, all have more British & Irish ancestry than Spanish ancestry specifically when we refer to people from Bogota.

only rich people can afford such DNA tests. The average Bogotano is poor Mestizo dude with no non-Spanish European ancestry.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 PM

Quote:
only rich people can afford such DNA tests. The average Bogotano is poor Mestizo dude with no non-Spanish European ancestry.
1. Most rich bogotanos don't emigrate. I know plenty of Colombians here in the UK and not one is Bogotano aside from uni students who are here for only a short time.

2. These people are half indigenous hence Mestizo, the only difference is that their European half has more Brit-Irish.

3. The guy in the 3rd video was adopted from Colombia, his parents were most likely poor and couldn't afford to raise him - he's also the one with the highest Brit-Irish heritage. I have no idea of the economical status of the other two but they don't sound particularly rich - also they emigrated so doubt they're that well off back home.

4. $79 isn't that expensive for a DNA test, fair enough its 1/3 of the MINIMUM national monthly wage, plenty of Bogotanos even in 'estrato 3' earn more than the national minimum wage. In any case as mentioned most of these people live outside. The DNA kit hasn't caught on yet.

I believe the converse is true, a lot of the soldiers in the British legion had relations with the lower classes whilst on the road. There are reports that Bolivar wasn't too impressed with their conduct apart from a select few. The Bogota elite will probably have more Spanish ancestry hence why not much fanfare has been made historically on the Brit-Irish imprint in Colombia's (specifically Bogota's) DNA.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folasade Abioye View Post
??

Most of them got european ancestry.
"no non-Spanish European ancestry."

In English, a double negative (no non-) is a positive. He is saying they do have Spanish European ancestry.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:57 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
By ignorant Americans that probably vote Trump. Romania and Latin America were part of the west centuries before your country came into existance. I don't consider the US part of the west.
Talk about ignorance. Romania has existed as a country since the 1850s. You used the plural 'centuries' implying at least two.

Here's a tip - the west does not consider Romania as 'one of them' - thanks in part to historic and embarrassing gaffes by Romanian heads of state, involving theft and looting of the rooms and lodging where they were hosted while visiting. Kinda like the reputation current Romanians throughout the EU enjoy nowadays.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:43 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Israel?
Yes, that's the one I thought of.

Does Guam qualify? Or even the former Kingdom of Hawaii'

Old 11-18-2018, 08:44 PM

I fail to see the Israel connection. Doesn't Poland/Eastern Europe have more of an Israel connection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World