Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 03:35 AM

278 posts, read 230,612 times

Advertisements

What things to buy in a trip to Spain ,France or Italy,etc ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 04:04 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Food and grocery are cheaper in Spain.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:29 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Spain and Italy...leather goods, pottery, ceramics, art work

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-17-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-18-2018, 03:49 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
books probably

Old 08-21-2018, 04:42 AM

502 posts, read 655,094 times
leather shoes, ceramics/tiles, local wines and food

some clothes brands will be cheaper compared to the USA, especially if local (for example Zara will be cheaper in Spain than in the USA)

Old 08-21-2018, 05:07 AM

622 posts, read 427,369 times
Quality leather shoes..far cheaper in the US. Most shoe factories in Spain are dog gone.
Spanish ceramics, such as Lladro and Spanish tiles - the offer in the US is far more abondant, and in many cases cheaper.
Take into account that firms like Lladro, and ersatz Lladro..and Porcelanosa grant absolute preference to the US market.
Brands, such as Lacoste, Hilfiger..about the same but better in Spain as the quality is different.
As to wine, high quality Spanish wine used to be cheaper in the US, but prices have risen dramatically.
Wine is now cheaper in Spain.
Food..about the same.
Junk food is more expensive in Spain, "Lunch" (menus) restaurants, about the same, very high quality restaurants are cheaper.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:03 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,313,142 times
Niece and her Austrian husband travel by car from Austria to Italy and they stock up on leather shoes and Italian wines.
My teen daughter went as a last vacation to Italy with her father last summer and bought pretty leather sandals, small gifts.
She brought me a basket with italian foods they also travel by car better said van/bus
Prices of perfumes are expensive in all of Europe . ZARA does have nice dupes of perfumes google search for it.
See link in spanish for prices and bottles scroll through just to see the perfume bottles.
https://www.zara.com/es/es/mujer-acc...tml?v1=1074578

A European perfumery chain of perfumery shops see www.douglas.it/ all Douglas have slightly different assortment by country tastes so like for comparision www.douglas.de/

There are specialty Italian perfume shops but in august shops close for holiday/vacation.
My DD went to look for me but was closed alas.
https://en.spezieriepalazzovecchio.it

I do not remember the name but Italy has a very old pasta factory with specialty pastas.
Italian soaps. Italian bedlinens are beautiful I have a set I bought in my college days today was folding it after laundry.
Candles, bud vases, small collectibles are also nice from different countries. Decades ago an Italian floral lamp I buy it in Norway on vacation there.Food groceries for breakfast like exotic coffees, jams, preserves are also nice to bring home.

For Florence Italy shopping my DD was there last summer, this link shows it well
https://www.visitflorence.com/what-t...-florence.html

Old 08-21-2018, 10:25 AM

278 posts, read 230,612 times
Chester Manifold

You are wrong about shoes.in Spain there are hundreds of footwear factories that continue exporting each year more and high quality shoes and excellent design usally do not have more abundant competition than italian shoes although like most equivalent products the Spanish are cheaper.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 AM

622 posts, read 427,369 times
My family had a shoe factory until 1982, they had to close because taxes, social security and regulations. I know the industry.

Most shoe factories had to close after the advent of democracy, and the only artisans that survived are those that sell women fashion shoes for 2.000 or more Euros. Manolos, etc. The rest are produced in China and Bangladesh and sold as Spanish. Crap.

High income people in Spain buy American shoes (Sebagos) or English shoes, Georges, that are manufactured in India.

The shoe industry only prosper in third world countries.

My family used to copy Italian shoes, but that was in the past.

I wouldn't recomend any torist to buy Italian shoes below 2000 Euros, probably from China or Bangladesh.

Last edited by CHESTER MANIFOLD; 08-21-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 06:05 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Food and grocery are cheaper in Spain.
not from what ive seen , groceries in spain are considerably more expensive than in the uk or even ireland , retail choices are quite poor .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World