U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-29-2018, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,608 posts, read 2,904,307 times
Reputation: 5137

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the coffin LOL

but...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/c...-a8347291.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/cali...-the-uk-2018-5

California's Economy Is 5th Biggest in the World, Ahead of the UK | Fortune

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/calif...150658194.html

Multiple sources back up what I said. Now, I'm not saying this makes California better than the UK. What I'm saying is, if CA's economy is bigger, most certainly the US economy is bigger so I see no debate here.

Of course, you'll probably come back with something to dispute this because as mentioned, the UK can do no wrong and you gotta have the last word and I'll let you do that. I've made my point.
I have already explained that the UK economy has been hit by Brexit in the short to medium terms and I hace explained some of the ways GDP is calculated such as military spending, prison industrial complex spending and other things paid for through a vast budget deficits.

In terms of the UK economy it is currently $2.936 trillion (nominal; 2018)[1] and $3.028 trillion (PPP; 2018)[1]

What are the figures for the Californian Economy for 2018, as the last fugures I have it was $2.746 trillion (2017) .

Which means it has slipped back behind the UK economy.

Furthermore why the emphasis on the UK and California, surely California has a bigger economy than Australia, Canada,France, Italy, Spain India, Brazil, Russia and most of the rest of the world, although whether this remains the same in the future is anyones guess, at a time when emerging economies are becoming more advanced.

Why GDP fails as a measure of well-being - CBS News

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-29-2018 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2018, 09:24 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
Yeah, I know what it means but the topic was about which country was wealthier in terms of money (UK or US) not the subjective area of quality of life. Stick to the topic!


England is nice in that regards and so are the Scandinavian countries with their socialist governments also have a great quality of life.
You distinctly mentioned 'quality of life' and as we can see that is certainly NOT all about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 09:26 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I have already explained that the UK economy has been hit by Brexit in the short to medium terms and I hace explained some of the ways GDP is calculated such as military spending, prison industrial complex spending and other things paid for through a vast budget deficits.

In terms of the UK economy it is currently $2.936 trillion (nominal; 2018)[1] and $3.028 trillion (PPP; 2018)[1]

What are the figures for the Californian Economy for 2018, as the last fugures I have it was $2.746 trillion (2017) .

Which means it has slipped back behind the UK economy.

Furthermore why the emphasis on the UK and California, surely California has a bigger economy than Australia, Canada,France, Italy, Spain India, Brazil, Russia and most of the rest of the world, although whether this remains the same in the future is anyones guess, at a time when emerging economies are becoming more advanced.

Why GDP fails as a measure of well-being - CBS News
To be honest BNW people shouldn't compare the UK economy with just 'California' anyway, California isn't a country its part of a country the size of a continent! Its economy is irrevocably linked to the whole of the USA, its economy would be completely different if it was a country in its own right, comparing the economy of California and the UK is like comparing apples to oranges, it would be like me comparing the economy in say Chelsea with the whole of Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 AM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Reputation: 8318
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest BNW people shouldn't compare the UK economy with just 'California' anyway, California isn't a country its part of a country the size of a continent! Its economy is irrevocably linked to the whole of the USA, its economy would be completely different if it was a country in its own right, comparing the economy of California and the UK is like comparing apples to oranges, it would be like me comparing the economy in say Chelsea with the whole of Spain.
The point in doing that was to show how big the US economy was. There seem to be some debate about that so, if one US state has a bigger economy, the US itself definitely does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Great Britain
8,608 posts, read 2,904,307 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
To be honest BNW people shouldn't compare the UK economy with just 'California' anyway, California isn't a country its part of a country the size of a continent! Its economy is irrevocably linked to the whole of the USA, its economy would be completely different if it was a country in its own right, comparing the economy of California and the UK is like comparing apples to oranges, it would be like me comparing the economy in say Chelsea with the whole of Spain.


I agree.

Anyone can use an area or region, at it's worth noting that cities such as London and Paris are a lot closer to each oither than say Los Angeles and San Francisco, indeed London to Paris is only two hours on a train.

Other European cities are also very close to each other and there are planty of high GDP areas in Europe. Indeed London is also closer to Brussels, Lille and Amsterdam than Los Angeles is to San Francisco.

In terms of California, most of the GDP relates to areas such as the Bay Area/Silicon Valley and Los Angeles and this further demonstrates the problem in just saying all of this has a high gdp than that. The same is true of small tax havens and one of the major criticisms of Califorias GDP was that it did not always factor in the high costs of living in places such as the Bay Area or parts of LA.

Antonio Villaraigosa the former Mayor of Los Angele wrote in a December 2016 Sacramento Bee op-ed that California is the sixth largest economy in the world. He added that the combined GDP of Washington, Oregon and California would surpass the United Kingdom to become "the fifth-largest economy in the world". Which is all well and good but Washington, Oregon is a lot further from Los Angeles than major financial centres such as Frankfurt, Geneva and Zurich are to London or places such as the South of France are to London.

Then again I suppose the ease with which it is possible to catch a direct high speed train to other major well known European cities is something you can't do in most f the US. Trains from London go direct to Calais, Lille,, Brussels, Paris, Disneyland Paris, Amsterdam, Rotterdam and the South of France including Lyon, Marseille or Avignon , as well as connecting destinations in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany, with an easy change in either Paris, Lille or Brussels. Whilst future direct services to Bordeaux, Frankfurt and Geneva have been announced.

Eurostar - Destinations

European City Breaks | Weekend Breaks to Europe | Eurostar

Next Bordeaux, then Frankfurt and Geneva – the eurostar train direct from London - The Telegraph

It seems to me that some Americans believe they are far better than the rest of the world due to things like the size of there military or gdp as opposed to quality of life in areas such as time off with family or universal healthcare and other such safety nets.

I have never said that the UK is the greatest country in the world to live in, however it does enjoy a decent standard of living and good services, and is possibly similar to parts of the US such as the North East and North West, as well as parts of Canada.

As for people suggesting I somehow dislike the US nothing could be further from the truth.

Last edited by Brave New World; 08-29-2018 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 10:48 AM
 
Location: new jersey, us
193 posts, read 518,611 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You distinctly mentioned 'quality of life' and as we can see that is certainly NOT all about money.

I only mentioned it because you brought into the discussion earlier when comparing UK and US monetarily and went OFF-TOPIC with QUALITY OF LIFE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
Reputation: 28710
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think the US and the UK are both great countries in their own ways. I am glad I live in the US, but if I had to live in any other country, I'd choose the UK.

I personally think we have more in common than we have differences.
I can appreciate what you are saying, but the point of this thread is to highlight superficial differences between cultures in order to shame, anger, and insult your opponents on the internet. To 'drive a wedge', as it were, and foster disharmony. /s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 03:24 PM
 
Location: SE UK
7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The point in doing that was to show how big the US economy was. There seem to be some debate about that so, if one US state has a bigger economy, the US itself definitely does.
Well quite! As I said the US is a country the size of a continent! It has what 325 million people? That's a lot of people generating wealth and a lot of potential custom right there, again its apples to oranges, perhaps comparing to Europe would be better but then again that's not exactly making any relevant point, the fact of the matter is that 'life quality' in either country is VERY subjective. You could argue until the cows come home but you are not going to be able to prove anything. Perhaps we could all agree that if you are born in either country you can count yourself lucky enough to have been born in one of the 1st world countries on this planet. As for 'differences' well of course there are but there is a shared popular culture that simply doesn't exist between Britain and its Euro neighbours (even ones on our doorstep) or between the US and 'other' Euro nations and this 'shared' culture is what ties the US and UK, the other (obvious) tie is the fact that the Americans (US ones) speak the language of the English and language is a very strong bond, culture and language doesn't just tie the US and UK but also the other 'Anglo' countries also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM
 
Location: SE UK
7,167 posts, read 6,013,471 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by subban View Post
I only mentioned it because you brought into the discussion earlier when comparing UK and US monetarily and went OFF-TOPIC with QUALITY OF LIFE.
I wasn't the one that brought up the subject of 'quality of life', I thought that was you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2018, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Washington State
15,355 posts, read 8,025,596 times
Reputation: 13165
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Well quite! As I said the US is a country the size of a continent! It has what 325 million people? That's a lot of people generating wealth and a lot of potential custom right there, again its apples to oranges, perhaps comparing to Europe would be better but then again that's not exactly making any relevant point, the fact of the matter is that 'life quality' in either country is VERY subjective. You could argue until the cows come home but you are not going to be able to prove anything. Perhaps we could all agree that if you are born in either country you can count yourself lucky enough to have been born in one of the 1st world countries on this planet. As for 'differences' well of course there are but there is a shared popular culture that simply doesn't exist between Britain and its Euro neighbours (even ones on our doorstep) or between the US and 'other' Euro nations and this 'shared' culture is what ties the US and UK, the other (obvious) tie is the fact that the Americans (US ones) speak the language of the English and language is a very strong bond, culture and language doesn't just tie the US and UK but also the other 'Anglo' countries also.
I agree with everything you said. I've spent more time among Brits than Americans in the last 2.5 years and plenty of time in the UK and the biggest difference, besides accents, is which type football we watch and are fans of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top