U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you consider part of the western world?
Northern Europe 33 86.84%
Western Europe 34 89.47%
Southern Europe 32 84.21%
Central Europe 26 68.42%
Balkans 15 39.47%
Eastern Europe 16 42.11%
Russia 7 18.42%
Northern North America 34 89.47%
Central America + Mexico 15 39.47%
Caribbean 15 39.47%
Andean States 14 36.84%
The Guianas 12 31.58%
Brazil 15 39.47%
Southern Cone 14 36.84%
Northern Africa 0 0%
Western Africa 1 2.63%
Central Africa 0 0%
Eastern Africa 1 2.63%
Southern Africa 2 5.26%
South Africa 8 21.05%
Israel 13 34.21%
Turkey 1 2.63%
Caucuses 0 0%
Western Asia 0 0%
Central Asia 0 0%
Southern Asia 0 0%
Southeast Asia 0 0%
Eastern Asia 0 0%
Phillippines 2 5.26%
Australasia 20 52.63%
Melanesia 0 0%
Micronesia 0 0%
Polynesia 2 5.26%
Latin America is an off shoot of the western world, but not part of it 9 23.68%
Orthodox Europe is an off shoot of the western world, but not part of it 7 18.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,814,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes the great Schism also confuses the terms eastern and western. I will also add the East/west division of the Roman Empire. However Christian belief is itself a hallmark of Western Civilization as is the historical traditions of the Roman Empire. Greece and Rome are together the bedrock that western civilization is built upon. The division of the Roman Empire into east and west, Great Schism and the much later Cold War all confuse the idea of East and West but I believe Western Civilization encompasses all European cultures and those founded by Europeans. That includes not only Western Europeans but also Russians, all American nations and Australians.

If we are talking about the Church then Eastern Europe and Russia are Eastern. The same goes for the Cold War. But all European bases are all collectively part of western civilization in spite of those separate divisions among us. To a Chinese man all white European people’s are western, in fact I bet they would be surprised that we are debating this.
Yes I agree that under a greater western civilization definition yours fits very well, and that within this western civilization there is this east west divide, with possibly a third one in the new world. I guess the question comes down to whether the western world stems from western Christianity or Christaindom as a whole? And then the fact that Peter I and Catherine II went to great lengths to westernize Russia, so culturaly Russia isn’t nearly as eastern it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 12:53 AM

1,436 posts, read 439,427 times
I find it amusing that the bedrocks of "Western Culture" aren't very Western. The Ancient Greeks and Romans had far more of a connection with the Ancient Near Eastern cultures then with Celtic and Germanic cultures living to the West. Hellenistic philosophy has had as much influence on Arab philosophy then it has had on Western Philosophy. Even Christianity the bedrock of Western Civilization isn't Western. Its a Canaanite religion, its Eastern.

So is the Western World defined by Culture? Religion? Language? Ethnicity?

Old 08-22-2018, 02:21 AM

502 posts, read 412,266 times
To me Western World is any place once was part of the Roman Empire.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:16 AM

22,871 posts, read 64,918,765 times
What is northern North America? Is that Yukon and Alaska?
Where is the southern cone?
Isn´t orthodox Europe already alternatives in the poll?
Why isn´t protestant Europe and catholic Europe alternatives?

Old 08-22-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
What is northern North America? Is that Yukon and Alaska?
Where is the southern cone?
Isn´t orthodox Europe already alternatives in the poll?
Why isn´t protestant Europe and catholic Europe alternatives?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_America
US/Canada/Greenland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cone
Argentina/Chile/Uruguay

As far as the Latin American and Orthodox alternative, that has to do with how Huntington defines Latin america and Orthodox Europe as their own civilizations, perhaps as twins/siblings/offspring of the western one, but separate.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:45 AM

22,871 posts, read 64,918,765 times
I know what North America is, but not northern North America.
Perhaps I will go on and vote anyway.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I know what North America is, but not northern North America.
Perhaps I will go on and vote anyway.
Sorry I kinda meshed two terms into one, it was supposed to be just Northern America, but said Northern North America. In either case it is not to be confused with North America which also contains Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean.

Old 08-22-2018, 10:51 AM

1,484 posts, read 1,647,734 times
In general sense, and forgetting all possible political correctness, we have to classify the world in the following parts:

The West: Europe + Anglosphere. Highly developed countries, whose cultural pillars are the heritage of the Ancient Greece, the Christianity, the Illuminism and the separation between church and state.

The East: Asia + Northern Africa. Societies with very old history and mostly authoritarian governments, with traditional and rigid moral values. Economic development may exist or may not, however it's not a main goal of most of the eastern societies.

The South: Latin America + Subsaharian Africa + Oceania (except Australia and NZ): Countries which were formed through colonization and have widespread corruption and poverty. Many of them feature high murder rates and precarious infrastructure.

If we take only culture into account, we should include Latin America in the west, but it's more difficult to divide the world into east and west. The Islamic World, for example, is culturally as far from Europe as it is from East Asia.

If the economic development is the criteria, then there is not east-west divide, but north-south fits more accurately. However, it's still tricky: Brazil and Russia are more far away to each other and both are far from being as rich as USA or any country in Western Europe, but also far from being as poor as, let's say, Congo. This is the point where also this divide gets blurred.

Last edited by Fabio SBA; 08-22-2018 at 11:00 AM..

Old 08-22-2018, 11:25 AM

I think the concept of the North-South divide is a bit outdated since there are many countries in the south that fairly prosperous, at least when compared to the rest of the world.

World map showing countries above and below the world GDP (PPP) per capita, currently US$10,700. Source: IMF (International Monetary Fund).
Blue above world GDP (PPP) per capita
Orange below world GDP (PPP) per capita

Countries described as high-income and advanced economies by the World Bank and IMF

Also would you consider "free" countries as western and "not Free" countries as eastern?

Old 08-22-2018, 11:39 AM

1,436 posts, read 439,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_America
US/Canada/Greenland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cone
Argentina/Chile/Uruguay

As far as the Latin American and Orthodox alternative, that has to do with how Huntington defines Latin america and Orthodox Europe as their own civilizations, perhaps as twins/siblings/offspring of the western one, but separate.
Why is Iran lumped in with the Arab world? Anyone with even a touch of Middle Eastern knowledge would understand that Iran is radically different from its Sunni Arab neighbors. In both culture, history and religion. I would say Iran is as different from Saudi Arabia as France is from Russia. Yet the later are part of two distinct cultural spheres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or