U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which part of the world would you rather travel to?
Patagonia 6 60.00%
Alaska 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2018, 02:48 PM

9,044 posts, read 17,306,273 times

Advertisements

Which of these two parts of the world do you find more interesting and would consider visiting? Patagonia has more in common with the southeastern part of Alaska and BC being at a more temperate latitude. Coastal bays, channels and inlets are never that far from any part of Patagonia where Alaska has a much larger interior and reaches up into sub-Arctic terrain. Both areas have a rich bounty of superlative topography and scenery. How do you think they compare? Some discussion points can include...

Towns and cities
Food and culture
Wildlife
Climate
Coastal areas
Mountains, topography, and scenery
Resources, environment, mining, and industries

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 08-27-2018 at 03:24 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 03:04 PM

568 posts, read 175,609 times
Towns and cities -- Trelew, Gaiman for their Welsh culture, so Patagonia!
Food and culture -- Culture... Welsh/Celtic culture, Latin-American culture -> Patagonia
Wildlife -- better in Alaska
Climate -- I'll go with Patagonia
Coastal areas -- Patagonia again
Mountains, topography, and scenery -- I think Alaska is more scenic
Resources, environment, mining, and industries -- better economy / employment opportunities in Alaska

Old 08-27-2018, 09:11 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,576,430 times
Two beautiful and unspoiled regions of the world, with a raw charm over them. I find a bit pointless to choose one, but i'll give you some breakdown of what i think:

Towns and cities: i think Patagonia has more population and offer a more diverse bunch of cities. Alaska is more empty and Anchorage alone has almost a half of its entire population.
Food and culture: i don't know much about how Alaska has preserved its amerindian culture. Patagonia has a strong mapuche influence to this day, and it has others traditional european communities, like welsh, etc.
Wildlife: close call. I would say Alaska for the land animals and Patagonia for the coastal/maritime.
Climate: it goes down to the personal tastes. Alaska is way harsher/continental and brutal cold in winter, while Patagonia it isn't for the most part. But on the other hand we shouldn't forget the unrelenting patagonian westerlies and the fact that its weather is more unstable.
Coastal areas: here i give the nod to Patagonia, simply for the bigger diversity, since it has both temperate/subpolar and desert coasts.
Mountains, topography, and scenery: both regions have amazing mountains, maybe Patagonia has more iconic ones and Alaska more imposing ones like Denali. Also both have top notch temperate/subpolar environments, with Alaska adding tundra to the mix and Patagonia cold deserts. So it's a win/win here.
Resources, environment, mining, and industries: Alaska has more conventional oil resources, and Patagonia more shale, unconventional. Also Patagonia has an unvaluable potential for eolic energy, but its industry is unefficient and not competitive. Alaska's economy must be more dynamic i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World